Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 15:14   #1

Things you Wished you'd Known before you went Cruising

Was sitting around happy hour recently with some other cruising ladies and we were discussing things we wished we had known before we went cruising.

Things like: 1 - didn't know so many things would grow mold and mildew
2 - all clothing would wind up faded, stained or torn
3 - the constant need for zip lock bags to store things

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other things you wished you had known before hand. (not all things are bad or negative--I also learned that I liked cruising more than I thought I would) So good or bad--what would you like to tell others that would help newbies just starting out cruising?

CJ
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:36   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Get a GOOD, SHARP, non folding knife and keep it attached to the binnacle. Easy to find and retrieve when needed...don't ask me how I know.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23   #3

Boat: Irwin 42
Re: Things you wished you'd known before you went cruising

Keep your sense of humor!! Get used to "sailor butt" (from riding in dighy)!! Don't defrost the ice box with an icepick!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
When we started I wished I had know how many forum experts were really not experts.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I wish I'd know just how much better Mexico is than the US. Life is just sooo much easier here and so so much cheaper.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

914--where are ye now?? are ye coming to la cruz/puerto vallarta?? is some good provisioning here in la cruz!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We're in Ensenada, we had planned to squirt right down the coast before hurricane season but hurricane Bud scared us away so we're waiting here until October. See you soon!
Old 18-11-2012, 11:46   #8

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Don't rely on the knowledge of other or be pressured into doing something you are not comfortable with.
Old 25-11-2012, 16:04   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Hideaway34

I wish I'd known how much a couple's idiosyncrasies could be magnified on a small boat. It's only been a month and I feel like I'm re-learning how to communicate with my husband. Or maybe I never really knew how?
Hideaway34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 16:18   #10

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe
When we started I wished I had know how many forum experts were really not experts.
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old 25-11-2012, 16:51   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I have been on a family owned sail boat, where everyone was at each other's throat three days after leaving port. The arguments were about "piddly stuff"...using too much fresh water, running out of ice, cheese, milk and fresh fruits and vegetables for salads...no nearby islands with supermarkets open 24/7...to name a few. Since I was the invited guest, I stayed out of these arguments by sleeping on deck, in a hammock under the stars, with ear-buds in my ears listening to my favorite music. Tight quarters can raise the heat under the collar by a bunch of degrees. The solution is to assign duties for everyone, then rotate these duties every 24 hours. Supplies locations should be planned before leaving your home port. Marinas that provide showers, laundry, internet, food and fuel should be contacted prior to your departure then labeled on your charts. If the boat is not sinking and its sails/nav equipment are intact, I do not see any reason for arguing. If you fail to plan, you planned to fail.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 23:31   #12

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav
I have been on a family owned sail boat, where everyone was at each other's throat three days after leaving port. The arguments were about "piddly stuff"...using too much fresh water, running out of ice, cheese, milk and fresh fruits and vegetables for salads...no nearby islands with supermarkets open 24/7...to name a few. Since I was the invited guest, I stayed out of these arguments by sleeping on deck, in a hammock under the stars, with ear-buds in my ears listening to my favorite music. Tight quarters can raise the heat under the collar by a bunch of degrees. The solution is to assign duties for everyone, then rotate these duties every 24 hours. Supplies locations should be planned before leaving your home port. Marinas that provide showers, laundry, internet, food and fuel should be contacted prior to your departure then labeled on your charts. If the boat is not sinking and its sails/nav equipment are intact, I do not see any reason for arguing. If you fail to plan, you planned to fail.
My goal is cruising anywhere, alone, with any K9 that wants to go along. Figure, can't get on my own nerves, and if the dog jumps back onboard after a marina visit, he must still like it.

Other people are over rated. Lol
Old 26-11-2012, 10:21   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"Get a GOOD, SHARP, non folding knife and keep it attached to the binnacle. Easy to find and retrieve when needed...don't ask me how I know. "

I have a dive knife attached to the underside of the dodger for this same purpose. Its better than most knives for rust resistance.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 10:40   #14

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

When 10 people are anchored 'over there' and nobody else is anchored 'over here' there is probably a good reason for it.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:04   #15

Boat: 41' Sail

Things to know/do-- Reef early--Reef often--Serrated edged, locking blade--micro fiber towel--paper charts--hand bearing compass-back up handheld GPS--islolate water tanks, draw down one at a time--check for chafe often!--cheap vodka sprayed down fish mouth kills in 20 seconds, no blood... and treat thy engine with great love.. Cheers~

Tags
cruising