Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 16:28   #76

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Things you Wished you'd Known before you went Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
as I said to my daughter " 24 and out the door"

dave
What did Mama say?

See, over here, she has last word. Period.

I'm working on a plan.
Old 09-01-2014, 17:11   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
We bought to big of a boat? We bought the Eagle so when our children move out, we could sell the house, and live on the boat. However, we did not think about buying to big of a boat, so they could move on the boat WITH US.

The second year we move aboard, right after we sold the house, our youngest daughter call to inform us she was driving home with a 7 year old, one year old and PG. My wife bought the Eagle as it big, stable and safe enough for her grandchildren. On second thought, maybe we did not buy a BIG enough boat? Grandchildren are a whole lot better than children at least you can give them back.

Three years ago our oldest (now thirty) showed up with her two children. I could kick her to the street, so could my wife (her mother), but her ace in the hole is the grandkids. How do you kick them to the street?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:20   #78

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Three years ago our oldest (now thirty) showed up with her two children. I could kick her to the street, so could my wife (her mother), but her ace in the hole is the grandkids. How do you kick them to the street?
A little less back swing.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 04:19   #79

Boat: Hanse 385

This is a great thread! Keep 'um coming folks really enjoying this one, and learning a lot!
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:58   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
A little less back swing.
Sorta like leading them a little less right?
Old 15-01-2014, 15:24   #81

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

We gave our kids (had 4) 1 year after graduating from college to live at home free. First year after that $250 a month, second year after that $500 a month and so on. Son said, for that money I might as well live somewhere else -- I said, that's the idea!

None stayed long after the first year. We only got one back during a divorce and it was the same rule. If you charge them and keep raising it, they leave. I love them, but there comes a time when they gotta go.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 18:17   #82

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
We gave our kids (had 4) 1 year after graduating from college to live at home free. First year after that $250 a month, second year after that $500 a month and so on. Son said, for that money I might as well live somewhere else -- I said, that's the idea!

None stayed long after the first year. We only got one back during a divorce and it was the same rule. If you charge them and keep raising it, they leave. I love them, but there comes a time when they gotta go.
And do you give credit? how do you charge a kid that has no job and tooo lazy to look? kick the on the street?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 12:55   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
And do you give credit? how do you charge a kid that has no job and tooo lazy to look? kick the on the street?

Truth be known, I was pretty much kicked to the street, and looking back it was one of the best things My Father ever did for me
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42   #84

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

A couple more:

You will probable get to know and/or see your crew/neighbor/passengers more than you intended or wanted to. Boat living areas tend to be limited/small with thin walls, anchorage/moorage/slips tend to be close. So there can be OMG moments!

Many cruisers/live a boards have alternative, colorful different live styles. So you may have to keep an open mind, be more accepting and understanding. Many of us have a under lying reason for cruising and/or live aboard.

Sort of along the same lines, your life may be on display for other to see as people tend to looking at water/boats/marines. So don’t be surprise if someone is looking/watching. Most boats have binoculars, and so do many land people. I assume somebody is usually watching. Be careful what you adjust and/or scratch.

Many people have the idea/view that most cruisers/live a boards can not afford to live on the dirt, one step above being homeless, and second class as we do not pay our share of taxes. So don’t be surprised if you are not well received especially if anchoring/mooring.

Cruisers and live a boards do not have the same rights as living on the dirt. City/towns/marinas can/will change rules/regulations and give 30 day vacate notice with out much recourse. The reason is you own the boat and in theory can move it to another location. We where giving a 30 day notice, so make sure you have a plan B.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Many people have the idea/view that most cruisers/live a boards can not afford to live on the dirt, one step above being homeless, and second class as we do not pay our share of taxes. So don’t be surprised if you are not well received especially if anchoring/mooring.
The good news is that seems to be a (largely) US attitude. Come to Europe .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising