I cruise part-time, and use FB both onboard and on land 39 27.86%
I cruise part-time, and never use FB 55 39.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 08:34   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Survey: Do you use Facebook ?

some of the kids i encountered have been communicating via games of destruction and mayhem--seems to be a popular way for boys to communicate.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 08:37   #17

I would think that Google + (at least in its current beta form) would be a much better vehicle for group learning than FB.
I use FB mostly because all of my childhood friends are on it, & Foursquare for ppl to follow my adventures.
Truth be told, I freakin' hate FB.
I wish there was a non centralized, open source P2P replacement that actually worked.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 08:43   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't use Facebook, never have, never will.

I think to link kids up with that sort of thing is the wrong move.

If you link kids to it then they must be members of facebook to view the pages. That then opens them to all the other crap on it.

If you want to connect kids - or any other people make a propper website. Sure advertisine it on whatever social media you like but have the website as a stand alone product.

Imagine if you had invested time and money into a site on MySpace... then a few years later it was defunct!

With your own website that cannot happen. You are in control.

Will facebook still be here in 10 years? I doubt it. Kids will have moved on to the next fantasy fad. Will it last 5 years? I dunno, internet time 5 years is a loooooong time.

With your own website all the data is kept on your server, not some others.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 08:59   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Do I use facebook? Nope, total waste of time.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:02   #20

how about: "I cruise part time and only use facebook when forced to by my 1,000,000 or so "friends". "

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:05   #21

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Love facebook , sheesh , if ya got kids ( we have 5 ) , ya have to , just to stay in touch . Great place to post pictures for friends and grandma to follow along while we are out on the boat . I too have found and rekindled old friendships with people I had lost touch with . If you take the time to configure the privacy settings the way you like them , I just don't understand the worry about privacy........infact think it would be great to see everyone who has facebook , post there user name somewhere here , so I could friend them , I an on facebook , Bob Hulegaard , friend request away .
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi SS,

Like some others I use Facebook in a limited way to keep in touch with friends, see my daughters travel pics and occasionally follow some political and social discussions some of my more activist friends post.

Find the constant updates on what someone had for breakfast or who they saw at the mall beyond dull and pointless.

If your goal is to share online education information I agree with others that setting up a dedicated web site might be a better option. With your own site you are not forced to work within the structure and limitations of facebook. Also, facebook adds a lot of extraneous information, graphics and such that could be problematic for cruisers that may at times have limited bandwidth for logging on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:14   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Facebook is the scourge of society!

My hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I have always felt a distinct dislike, mistrust, even animus toward FB. Way too " On the grid" for me. I believe FB to be the biggest weapon against freedom and privacy! If Facebook were to blow up and crash, all info lost, the program in shreds, I'd be dancin in the street.

But I do have a blog :-), try to understand that logic and your head may explode, hey, I never claimed to be normal.
Signing off, with tin foil on me head
Old 21-08-2011, 10:16   #24

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Not to mention that all photos and material posted on facebook,become property of facebook.People giving up their privacy,on purpose!?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:22   #25

Boat: Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to FloatyThing
I would answer your survey, but I don't have time, gotta go check for updates on Facebook.
FloatyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:35   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi Saucy... filled out your questionaire but you might be interested in my wife's formal schooling in the outback in Australia some years ago, before computers, facebook, twitter, etc. She was home schooled on a cattle property by her mother and also attended regular daily lessons on the 'School of the Air', a shortwave connection with other students and an instructor. From time to time, travelling teachers, mainly from Britian would do a 'farm stay' and help her with her studies. Different times but for youngsters learning in a remote environment like the back and beyond or somewhere at sea, it is a good replacement for the continuity of a classroom. Good luck with your studies... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:47   #27

Boat: Cape Dory

Seeing photos of 17 y/o nieces drunk in bikinis or chugging at frat parties was enough to make me delete my account. Other things that would have put me off eventualy: bizzare contacts from characters from past lives (how did dylan put it?: don't send me no more letters, no . . . I had to rearrainge their faces and give them all another name?). Maybe worst of all, there is just no room for thought on FB . . .. Did someone say social media is the death of conversation (as if texting ain't bad enough)?

Yikes!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:53   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Not to mention that all photos and material posted on facebook,become property of facebook.People giving up their privacy,on purpose!?
But what happens to the material and photos you post on CF?
Old 21-08-2011, 11:16   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you want to connect kids - or any other people make a propper website. Sure advertisine it on whatever social media you like but have the website as a stand alone product........
With your own website all the data is kept on your server, not some others.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If your goal is to share online education information I agree with others that setting up a dedicated web site might be a better option. With your own site you are not forced to work within the structure and limitations of facebook.
Guys, this of course is an avenue that I would probably pursue if I were to do this full-time and professionally. My remit, for now, it to utilise a tool I have used myself this year to create a learning resource. You have made good points about control, points which I am sure i'll be able to address.

Meantime, I'm looking for a tool which is easily accessible and familiar to the kids I'll be addressing. Unfortunately, so far not one of the respondents to my quiz has been in the correct age bracket!!! (I am currently working on that) Thankfully, at least half the respondents are from the cruising community

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Also, facebook adds a lot of extraneous information, graphics and such that could be problematic for cruisers that may at times have limited bandwidth for logging on.
This is a very good point, and one that I'll need to address carefully. One of the reasons for looking at informal support groups is so that kids can drop in and out at will, perhaps when doing the coastal thing with a twenty dollar dongle....

Thanks everyone for your great responses so far
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 11:28   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
Do I use facebook? Nope, total waste of time.

My sentiments as well and as I stated in the survey, I think it leaves the security of my PC seriously compromised.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey