Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Surprised Guy Here

Seeing the Lin and Larry add in the banner reminded me of some of their escapades, which they have so bravely shared with us.

Thanks guys!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57   #47

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
My wife and I watched a bareboat charter couple leave the slip, husband doing some serious yelling and name calling. A few minutes later he had an overheated engine and was aground before He ever reached the bay. We then listened to him beg for free tow from the Coast Guard, marinas and whomever else would listen to him on 16. I guess he didn't want the charter company to find out he grounded their boat. My wife looked at me and called that "instant karma," that's the first time I had heard that phrase.

My wife and I try to get all things done without yelling and if there is some neither of our feelings hurt for very long.
Old 09-10-2013, 15:02   #48

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

What was surprising to me (mostly) was that all these remarks and all the yelling took place in West Marine or on boats that are on the hard. They don't EVEN have the excuse of docking or anchoring or any of those high stress situations.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 16:35   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To put this in perspective, it may help to know that both myself and Jim are extremely persevering people. I had been single for 10 yrs. when we got hitched. I was raising 3 teenagers. I did not think i owed anybody "obedience"; I thought I was independent. Fortunately for me, Jim, by far the more experienced sailor, was always interested to bring me along in terms of making a better seaman of me. And, he's never been a screamer. Our communications are STILL less than perfect, but we do make an effort. Our hand signals work well when I can see his hands, and we have children's walkie-talkies with sponge over the microphones which help at distant communication, such as when he's aloft, or in the rain and wind.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. The bountiful love feelings are purely lovely! Thanks, guys.
Old 09-10-2013, 18:04   #50
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To put this in perspective, it may help to know that both myself and Jim are extremely persevering people. I had been single for 10 yrs. when we got hitched. I was raising 3 teenagers. I did not think i owed anybody "obedience"; I thought I was independent. Fortunately for me, Jim, by far the more experienced sailor, was always interested to bring me along in terms of making a better seaman of me. And, he's never been a screamer. Our communications are STILL less than perfect, but we do make an effort. Our hand signals work well when I can see his hands, and we have children's walkie-talkies with sponge over the microphones which help at distant communication, such as when he's aloft, or in the rain and wind.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. The bountiful love feelings are purely lovely! Thanks, guys.

Foam over the mic is OK, but for the upgrade in mic quality step up to a good throat mic. No wind noise, the mic is strapped directly to your throat. Very common for motorcycles too. It's what the military uses. If it works when you're in a chopper...

IASUS Concepts - NT3 Throat Mic System

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:11   #51

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Foam over the mic is OK, but for the upgrade in mic quality step up to a good throat mic. No wind noise, the mic is strapped directly to your throat. Very common for motorcycles too. It's what the military uses. If it works when you're in a chopper...

IASUS Concepts - NT3 Throat Mic System
I get skeerd when I see stuff that is really cool.............and there are no prices.
Old 09-10-2013, 20:34   #52
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I get skeerd when I see stuff that is really cool.............and there are no prices.

No, this stuff is very common and dirt cheap. I use nice ones for paintball/gaming, and a different model built into my bike helmet, but you can get a cheap pair for $25. Comparable to any other type of mic/headset combo. Just different. Of course, you get what you pay for.

Amazon.com: SECUDA Military Grade Tactical Throat Mic Headset/Earpiece with BIG Finger PTT for Midland GXT/LXT 2 Two Way Radio: Car Electronics

http://www.iasus-concepts.com/

http://www.the-microphone-guide.com/...crophones.html

Old 09-10-2013, 20:43   #53
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You want the PTT model, not VOX. The Big PTT is a good option, makes it easy to push the transmit button, even while wearing gloves. VOX is unreliable and confusing on a boat.