Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 15:13   #1

Storing dirty diapers on board?

So my husband and I ( he's also on here we use the same user name) are planning on sailing out of the Chesapeake Bay and down the ICW. We have three girls, one will be 6months. We have cloth diapers but are just planning on using disposable. So what does that look like cruising with a baby and using disposable diapers? Where and how do you store the dirty diapers until you can throw them away? Where on land can you dispose of them? Any tips would be helpful!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 18:41   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Storing dirty diapers on board?

Suggest you Google "disposable diaper compacter". Lots there. Find one that you can use/fit on the boat, it will have to be secured against heeling. Possibly, non-skid under it, and a couple of pad eyes on a strong point to lash it to.
Old 30-08-2016, 15:13   #3

Boat: 56' Challenger

To be perfectly honest... we just put them with the trash and it worked find. There will be places in the Chesapeake and through the ICW where you'll be able to get rid of trash, and take on fuel and water!

We did Portland Maine to Key West when our youngest was 7 months old.
imasailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 15:22   #4

Is your six month old showing interest in solids yet? If so, dedicated spoon and scrape the solids into the toilet and roll the diaper up,flatten it and toss it in a bag. We had a couple with a toddler with us and I recall only five diapers a day, even after a week it was only about a small bag of waste. No big deal.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 15:50   #5

You need a compartment for all trash anyway. Just trash them. Save a big space in the lazarrette or wherever to put full garbage bags. Then you will have to stop and find a place to take your trash now and then... sometimes easy sometimes not. Just part of the life.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 15:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy.

In your boat shoes I would simply go to Home Depot and get a five gallon paint bucket with tight fitting lid. This could be stowed on deck to keep odors out of the cabin. Empty ashore when making landfall. Buckets like that are always handy for storage, watertight, cheap, and reusable on land for many things.

This assumes disposable diapers. Offshore voyaging I would put the dirty cotton diapers (assuming you are not taken disposables) in a mesh bag and tow overboard to wash initially, then later wash again by hand in fresh water in a bucket. No salty cotton allowed on baby skin.

Bon Voyage.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 07:07   #7

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I'm relieved to know it's not as big a deal as I imagined!
Old 18-09-2016, 07:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy.

In your boat shoes I would simply go to Home Depot and get a five gallon paint bucket with tight fitting lid. This could be stowed on deck to keep odors out of the cabin. Empty ashore when making landfall. Buckets like that are always handy for storage, watertight, cheap, and reusable on land for many things.

This assumes disposable diapers. Offshore voyaging I would put the dirty cotton diapers (assuming you are not taken disposables) in a mesh bag and tow overboard to wash initially, then later wash again by hand in fresh water in a bucket. No salty cotton allowed on baby skin.

Bon Voyage.
Great idea to keep it on the deck with a lid!
Old 18-09-2016, 07:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasailorgirl View Post
To be perfectly honest... we just put them with the trash and it worked find. There will be places in the Chesapeake and through the ICW where you'll be able to get rid of trash, and take on fuel and water!

We did Portland Maine to Key West when our youngest was 7 months old.
Great to know! Neat to hear you made that journey with a 7 month old! That encourages us for sure!
Old 18-09-2016, 07:28   #10

Boat: Shopping

Google "Diaper Genie." Best product ever.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 07:48   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Having had both the 5 gallon bucket and a diaper genie, the bucket is better from a cost and even space perspective. The genie fills quickly and then you still have to store the "sausage" rope it creates.

There are screw tops you can get for the 5 gallon bucket, water tight, smell proof.Gamma Seal is one brand.
Old 18-09-2016, 09:04   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
So my husband and I ( he's also on here we use the same user name) are planning on sailing out of the Chesapeake Bay and down the ICW. We have three girls, one will be 6months. We have cloth diapers but are just planning on using disposable. So what does that look like cruising with a baby and using disposable diapers? Where and how do you store the dirty diapers until you can throw them away? Where on land can you dispose of them? Any tips would be helpful!
Never thought I would be relating the tale of when my kids were in diapers and how we managed cruising up and down the BC coast but we found a sturdy bucket with holes in the sides and bottom that we stuffed the used diapers in and dragged them in the ocean behind the boat.. This was pre disposable diapers and all were cotton. Rinse in fresh water, dry and good as new!
Bucket was a green laundry type that I still see today but we had to fashion a lid to avoid losing the stray nappy. Cheer, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 11:59   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Google "Diaper Genie." Best product ever.

This, our youngest is seventeen and we used one then, they have been around forever

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 19:40   #14

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

We keep small trash bags to individually wrap each diaper, which we then put in the galley trash can. In the past we used Knot-A-Bag's and were very happy with them.

Our thirteen year old uses about three adult diapers every day. We are crossing the Pacific this year, and the longest we've gone without being able to unload trash is about three weeks. We have a big 55 gallon trash can on the poop deck (hehe).