Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 20:26   #1

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Silly ?

I know this sounds kind of silly, but I was wondering whether anyone had opinions on pet life jackets for cats. We'll be taking our cat to the Bahamas this spring and my daughter is wanting us to buy her a PFD for the crossing. She worries about her. I'm wondering whether the money wouldn't be better spent on a soft sided collapsable kitty carrier instead. Thoughts? Are those PFD's worth it? She'll be staying on board at all times.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 20:28   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
We have found having a cat walking jacket like Walking Jacket for Cats, Cat Toys, Free Articles on Cats and Dogs or similar (Google) and a leash to be very useful. Much more comfortable for cat than the carrier, and keeps her on the boat near the companionway.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 20:39   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I have seen them and even used one for my dog. It was excellent, and gave me an extra handle to help her get back on board. But for a cat?
Spencer
Old 18-02-2010, 11:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Practical Sailor did a review on pet life jackets a few months back, so your not the only one thinking of this. I guess there is some good ones out there....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 17:08   #5

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
We aready have a harness and leash for her. The walking jackets look kind of silly but they do look more comforable for the cat. I guess I'm wondering what is the chance of her falling overboard and how much we would actually put it on her. Skook, how often did your dog wear one? Did he/she wear it around the boat as a matter of course or just during dingy runs?
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 18:04   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Tried one on our cat, but she wouldn't stay in it. She would get out of it in less than 30 seconds. She's fallen overboard and swims quite well. Fortunately it has been while were anchored. She gets sea sick and found that the lower she gets in the boat the easier it is on her stomach, especially if she gets in a tight place where she cannot see any apparent motion. This means that when were underway she tends to find a cubby hole well down insde the boat.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 23:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
So far mine sleeps through just about everything. She came up in the cockpit today and looked at the water going by and thought nope I'll go take a nap. She is old though and sleeps a lot anyway. Even at dock she shows no interest in getting close enough to the toerails to be in any danger. I guess every cat is different. Some years ago I moved somewhere and thought collars might be good for her and her mother (who is dead now). Her mother could get out of her collar as soon as my back was turned and the one time she didn't I found her with her leg through it. I gave up on it. Kitty on the other hand acted like she had been given a beautiful bit of jewlery and would prance around showing it off. Go figure.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 01:13   #8

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
I know of two cats who have fallen overboard: one was miraculously recovered; the other wasn't. Our small dog always wears her PFD when she is in the cockpit and a tether on deck. She probably wouldn't fall overboard, but who wants to take the chance.

I suggest some form of restraint—leash, kennel, whatever—when you are underway.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:12   #9

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Ive a friend who keeps a big braided hunk of rope hanging off the stern when in port so the cat can get back aboard if she falls off, which sounds like a wise precaution for people too, come to think of it. Cats do seem to like boats. There's a rather sweet resident cat aboard the Kalimar Nickel (the State ship of Delaware) that wanders around ashore when in port but seems to automatically know when the ship is going to set sail and climbs back aboard.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:10   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Why not have a new cat for each passage? There are so many homeless (boatless) cats that it may be the way to go when you think economy-wise.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:41   #11

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
urg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why not have a new cat for each passage? There are so many homeless (boatless) cats that it may be the way to go when you think economy-wise.

b.
I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references, I will not make trolling references......sigh. Damn my vaudevillian soul...
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:52   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
You can always tell when a cruising boat has a cat because of the bit of carpet or macrame hanging off the transom.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:54   #13

C'mon, wildshore!

;-)

Judging from my sailing friends' stories cats are very single use pets aboard.

Implicit: DO USE A LIFE JACKET ON YOUR CAT.

Otherwise you will need another one very soon.

Many cat lovers will also do the following:
- leashing,
- netting,
- caging.

This is probably because not all animals take to being dressed up. And just imagine how hot it can get if you wear a fur AND a life jacket on top. Why do it to you pet?

b.
Old 21-02-2010, 16:00   #14

I almost ended up with a cat on board, in Mauritius.

Mauritius is considered a place where all religions co-exist in peace, but sure it is a hell to street cats. I could not get any help for a stray kitten from local "humans". Then I run into a French sort of 'veterinarians-sans-frontiers'.

b.
Old 21-02-2010, 20:15   #15

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Tried one on our cat, but she wouldn't stay in it. She would get out of it in less than 30 seconds.
Same here. We ended up just getting a big net to scoop him out if he falls in.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote