Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2010, 20:29   #16

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
I like the "hang thick rope over the side" idea. I've read of people hanging carpet but I'm not real sure I'd care for the "decorative effect." I think I could live with some line hanging over the side, though. Have to give that one some thought.
As for the disposible cat idea, I think that if we lost her overboard, my daughter would mutiny. She thinks the world of that little furball. H___ hath no fury like an 11 yr. old scorned (or otherwise ticked off). OK, OK, I"ll admit, I'm kinda fond of her too. If I've got to live on board a 35' boat with her, I'd prefer she be happy.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 20:29   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
When we had our Lord Nelson, we put a life jacket on our cat. Funniest thing I ever saw.
He stood stiff as a board, then gradually fell over on his side with his feet straight out. Still stiff as a board. No amount of adjusting that thing helped at all. After that, we gave up and just made sure he knew how to board the boat via the swim ladder. Twice he fell in at anchor and he actually preferred climbing the Monitor!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 20:32   #18

senormechanico,
Now that is something I'd like to see! Got any pictures?
Old 27-02-2010, 09:43   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
critters inflatables----lol-----tethers with harnesses and lines around boat for cat to wander around his territory....swimming lessons----and start with baby cat to train --that way cat knows no other lifestyle.....makes a difference--i use a figure 8 harness with loop for leash under cat--he doesnt mind it--looks for leash whenever i go out without him--will bring leash to me..lol so he can go also!!.....they make great boat guardians--will let you know when someone is coming to boat and if anything is wrong on board....goood luck.....
i think critters inflatables is critters inflatables.com
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 12:25   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Here's an earlier discussion of the topic you might find of interest...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ket-22249.html
Old 27-02-2010, 20:18   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
senormechanico,
Now that is something I'd like to see! Got any pictures?
Only of a very wet and po'ed cat!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 20:28   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Our Willy likes his, it keeps him warm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lifejacket.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	13581  
Old 28-02-2010, 07:46   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have sailed with a dog for 17 years and with 3 cats for 7 years now. For dogs, the life vest is a good idea. For cats, forget it.

Why for dogs: easier to see them plus you have something to grab, even with the boat-hook if needed. Also, dogs tend to like it.

Why not for cats: they hate it so much that they rather die. All cats can swim. Make sure they can get back aboard and they will try everything except the thing you put overboard for them to use. If you have no swimming platform you need to do something of course.

Also, while underway: lock them up inside. Even if they always find a snug corner to sleep when underway, keep locking them up. One of our cats (the male) decided to explore the foredeck just as we were hit with 40 knot winds and horrible waves. We risked our own lives to get him back. Lock them up.

At anchor: no harnesses, tethers etc. Let them roam around and do their job. The only time we lock them up at anchor is when they start catching too many birds.

One of our cats fell overboard (well, tried to jump back but found her claws didn't work on fiberglass) within an hour of coming aboard. The male cat took 5 years to try the experience. When one cat died and we got a new kitten we did the swim & get back aboard thing countless times. She now jumps in dinghies that come alongside etc. without fear. The others never do that.

We found that the main reason they go overboard is fishing from the swimming platform. They only just can't reach that fish, crab or squid but try it anyway. They are back aboard in a flash and we just need to clean up the salt water mess inside the boat.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 08:50   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sorry one got sideways--my boat guard is....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 21:12   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have had a cat(s) on board since the first day I set sail. None of them would allow me to put a PFD (pet floatation Device) on them. I would arrange the straps so that the cat could not wiggle out and 5 minutes later I found the other cat holding the harness so the first cat could wiggle out - they figured out to help each other.
- - Solution was that I never let the cat(s) up on deck or the cockpit unless the anchor is down or we are tied to a pier. They - as others mentioned - find a favorite spot low in the boat to wedge themselves in and go to sleep. However, as soon as the anchor is down (they can hear it) they are at the top of the companionway ladder ready to come on deck and inspect everything to make sure you did it correctly.
- - After a particularly rough passage they will come out and start meowing non-stop about how my parents were not married when they had me and I obviously don't know anything about sailing a boat. All in all, boat cats are a riot and continual source of smiles and laughter.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 00:03   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
My Turkish Van cat - Starboard - has never set paw on land. His whole life has been on the sailboat except to be carried to the VET in a soft animal carrier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OsirisStarboard561.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	15233   Click image for larger version

Name:	OsirisStarboardFish2373.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	15234  

Name:	OsirisStarboardHelm1146.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	15235   Click image for larger version

Name:	OsirisStarboard3489.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	15236  

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Osiris: man, I thought it was me on that photo!
Okay, let's add photo's in this true cat thread ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-04-2010, 17:43   #29

Thanks for the input, everyone. The photos are all great!!!! We are currently hanging around S. Florida waiting for the weather to cooperate so we can cross to the Bahamas. The cat is VERY happy that most folks here advised against stuffing her in a PFD. She is currently trying out absolutely every nook, cranny, and hidey hole that she can find aboard (I think she's trying to get away from the 5 year old). I braided a big thick line and have it hung over the stern. That made my daughter happy. Now if the weather would just act right......
Fair winds!
Jennifer