Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 11:50   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Severely anxious dog on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's an Oxygen mask and hearing protection for a dog, so you can take your dog flying with you.
If you can get a dog used to flying and wearing all that crap, a boat ought to be easy.
From having had several dogs, I think the biggest "trick" is easing them into it.
One step at a time, don't throw the whole thing at them at once.
People are like that of course too.
Wanna get your Wife liking sailing, don't take her out in a Thunderstorm
But why is it getting oxygen on a grooming table? I think nitrous is green like oxygen, tank color. I would guess someone adopted it to put a dog in la la land for grooming?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:41   #62

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE, IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED AND WE WILL TAKE IT ALL ON BOARD , ( NO PUN INTENDED)
THANKS AGAIN,
SHANDA
NZ
shanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:54   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
But why is it getting oxygen on a grooming table? I think nitrous is green like oxygen, tank color. I would guess someone adopted it to put a dog in la la land for grooming?

That is a Doll dog, not real, on display at Sun-N-Fun a few years ago, they were trying to sell O2 systems for dogs. I thought it so silly I took a picture of it. Be hard I think to train a dog to not pull that thing off their head, although I know of many people that regularly fly with their dogs. You think a sail boats bad? Get in a roaring loud airplane on a hot Summer, turbulent day.

I always got a kick out of this video

http://youtu.be/81t4iOyHksk

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 04:02   #64

An alternative to Xanax might be a drug called Acepromazine. My ex's mom had a Golden that had severe thunder issues, bit of ace and she was ok during storms.
As always check with your vet! Just because I dated one for years doesn't make me one!

"Acepromazine is one of the most commonly used tranquilizers in veterinary medicine. It is a phenothiazine compound. Its mode of action is only partially understood but it involves blockage of dopamine nerve receptors in the brain. It causes tranquilization and also has an anti-emetic effect. This makes it especially useful for treating car sickness, since that is often a combination of fear and motion sickness in dogs."
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 04:03   #65

Double posted I don't know why.....
Old 13-02-2016, 12:39   #66

Re: severely anxious dog on board

Two general comments, for whatever they may be worth:

(1) dogs have their own personalities, which of course includes phobias. Some will always be uncomfortable near water / on boats; if this persists despite reassurance, their preference for dry land should be respected as it would be cruel to force them;

(2) even if a dog is happy on a boat, having once sailed on an ocean passage with a dog aboard I am of the view that they don't really belong on long voyages and should be restricted to day sailing. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Absolutely, positively, do NOT do this. Cesar Millan is a danger and a hazard.
I have no opinion about this, because I don't know what his training/therapy would be.

I recently saw one of his shows where he was faced with a dog displaying the stress symptoms described here. There was about ten minutes of the owner talking about the problem, and footage of the poor dog freaking out near the boat or a beach. Then Cesar was briefly shown working with the dog on the beach, and except for the owner's effusive thanks that was the end of the feature … no information was provided regarding helping the dog adapt to the boat.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 17:40   #67

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Which is it, no dogs on voyages, or dogs have different personalities and possibly the dog on your voyage shouldn't have been there?
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 19:09   #68

I know of no dog whose personality makes it unnecessary to eliminate on a regular basis … and I have never been able to train a dog to use a marine head.

I like a clean boat. Again, YMMV.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:44   #69

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

If you have a large boat with a flush deck and an open transom cruising with a dog should be pretty easy. Going potty on deck can be done w/o a huge mess. It takes time and lots of positive affirmation, but my gal will go underway, thus not overstressing her body. Make sure you have a high quality pfd with comfortable straps, which you can sew to reinforce and make more comfortable. A doggie ramp goes a long way too. In hot weather ice cubes are very appreciated. Google maps is awesome for scoping out dinghy landings that your buddy will prefer.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456328068072.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	119517  
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:07   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Absolutely, positively, do NOT do this. Cesar Millan is a danger and a hazard. He has been bitten many times because his methods are unsound, unscientific, and downright dangerous. The only reason he can continue to survive in the dog training business is because hundreds of generations have bred most of the aggression out of most dogs.
Cesar is the only reason my dogs have become fantastic creatures... dogs bite on occasion, until they know better, it's defense. That's how they assert dominance, and warn one another. "TRAINING PEOPLE" as he says, will create a docile, well-balanced, and happy dog. Then no more biting! Cesar understands the way dogs think, it is actually very simple to see them respond to your actions, tone inflections, and body language. Then they calculate what they should do next... I rescued 2 fighting pits, deemed aggressive, and on their last 2 days. The PREVIOUS OWNERS and other terrible people like them were the problem, NOT THE BREED and NOT THE DOGS. No matter how many generations have come since the wolf reigned as the only k9's on the planet, they still have a wild side and that must be recognized, as well as appreciated. Only then can you truly understand how to solve your dog's issues (every case has its own requirements)... I now allow my dogs to play alone with children that on occasion pull their tails, tap their large heads, and occasionally attempt to ride them... I feel no fear that they will be injured because of the time and effort I and the dogs have put forth...(that fear may also cause a problem) Sorry to put you on blast "hblask" but if you think his methods don't work, you might just be too ignorant to apply them properly. ON TO THE ISSUE: I might recommend purchasing a Thunder Shirt or something similar to assist in calming your dog. Refrain from constantly attempting to reassure them, NO stroking or patting them (until they submit to accepting that they are there to stay), don't raise the pitch of your voice, or coddle the dog. Those all reinforce the unwanted behavior! By avoiding constant stimulation the dog will finally accept that they must cope with their surroundings. Possibly bring a pillow, blanket, or bed that they use frequently to provide the smells and comfort they crave. If food is what they respond to bring a small bag of treats, but only reward proper behavior (even if they beg). In your inexperienced state you undoubtedly will find yourself breaking some of the rules I just stated and that is OK, it takes time, having somebody there to call out when you do break the rules helps.(children work as awesome assistants in pointing out flaws) (8 Just remember your best friend responds to you 1st, don't get discouraged, and keep up your own training. I hope that this post helps you, and that your dog becomes happy and healthy!

Fair winds and following seas
Ultrakomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:21   #71

Do you realize you are defending/promoting a clown who is under investigation for animal cruelty? Doesn't say much for you now does it?
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20   #72

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrakomek View Post
Cesar understands the way dogs think
Nope, not at all. He has been bitten multiple times on his own show. He is a dangerous quack. The only reason he can get any following at all is because we have bred most dogs to be docile, so that even his cruel, misguided methods are occasionally effective.

He is the equivalent of a parent who beats his kids and says "look at the great relationship I have with my kids, they obey everything I say!"

I am married to someone who has studied the SCIENCE of animal behavior for the last 15 years; she learned from one of the top trainers in the country. Every single trainer who has studied the science thinks Milan should be banned from being around animals.

Quote:
Sorry to put you on blast "hblask" but if you think his methods don't work, you might just be too ignorant to apply them properly.
Nope, he is a dangerous and cruel person. Cruelty can induce obedience, but it can't induce healthy relationships or happiness. To the extent that his methods "work", it is due to fear -- and that is the exact reason he keeps getting bitten and his TV clients end up suing him.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:30   #73

I didn't see it answered anywhere: Does your dog like car rides? If he doesn't like car rides, there's a good chance he won't like the boat.

As others have said, try slow and easy approach (boat at the dock, start the engine, motor on a nice calm day, etc...). If he's introduced slowly, he may get over it. If he's not getting over it, don't punish the poor dog.

We've been lucky to have two dogs who loved boats but hated swimming (both are capable just don't like it). This is the perfect boat dog. We've helped out more than one lab who decided to go for a swim in a marina with no place for him to get out.

As far as offshore, a small dog is easy. While we are mostly coastal cruisers, when anchored out, we had a plastic storage box 4" high on the back deck. We put a piece of astroturf in it. It was a challenge getting him to use it the first couple times but once he got the idea, midnight walks were done. Rinse it out every couple days.

Good luck.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 16:05   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My suggestion would be to forget about sailing, instead focus on getting him relaxed and at home on the boat, at the dock. Once the boat has become a familiar place, associated with good things happening, then you can try introducing the new weird sensation of sailing.

My dog regularly visits on the boat with me, stays overnight, and loves it. She knows all the neighbours and their dogs. It's a happy place for her.

We haven't tried sailing with her yet, but might need to one day.
This is the way. Slow acclimatization, first few times don't go to the boat, just get them comfortable at the marina and dock, next few times just go aboard and play and calm them, first times out are slow and very short motors. A nervous dog needs time to become comfortable to new and unusual things. They will need to be comfortable with each step before attempting a new one.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 16:26   #75

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Give the dog an Ativan the first time or two. Not trying to be smart.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote