Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 09:39   #1

Sea Sickness

Was looking for advice on dealing with children that have motion sickness. My 3 year old daughter has had motion sickness a few times on long car rides and once on the airplane. It doesn't happen all the time though for some reason.

My wife and I would like to bareboat for a week in the BVIs next summer and are not sure how to manage it with our daughter, or if we would even be able to. She hasn't been on a boat yet either, but we are planning to take her on a few hour cruise at some point in the near future to test it out.
Brian2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:55   #2

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Sea Sickness

I've heard that wearing an earplug in only one ear is surprisingly effective. It somehow disrupts the nerves, and imbalance between visual and motion inputs, to the brain.

Best part is, you only need to buy one pack for 2 people. I'd also ask the pediatrician's office for something. Good luck-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 10:26   #3

You can check out a thread I started a couple of weeks ago, lots of good advice and suggestions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-220545.html

Plus if you search the forum, there are some other good threads as well.

Probably not a bad idea to go for some day sails on a variety of boats in different conditions and points of sail to see what does and doesn't work for your family before shelling out $$$ for a BVI trip...
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 10:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Being a 3 year old I presume meds are not your first choice.

My Wife has had success using an electronic wrist band. It provides a light electric shock intermittently. The cost about $125.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 10:46   #5

As a kid I used to get motion sickness almost every time my father took us flying in a little Cessna, but I didn't mind because, hey I was flying with my family to some cool spot. Not once did I think I didn't want to go flying again. Even got my pilots license later in life.

If you daughter really likes being on the boat and going places, it may not matter. I'm sure it won't be the first, or last, time she gets sick.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:02   #6

Took part in a seminar this year with Nigel Calder and he mentioned, peripherally, "sea sickness glasses" (??!) that work for him and his family...?

Not my deal, but if Nigel says....!

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:37   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Real ginger based drinks (not ginger ale as most don't contain ginger, or make your own), or ginger gravol (less sleepy & less medication). There are wrist bands with little balls that put pressure on your wrist for <$10, and time on board. Don't let her read books or play down below. She is young and will adapt quicker than adults.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 15:48   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Real ginger based drinks (not ginger ale as most don't contain ginger, or make your own), or ginger gravol (less sleepy & less medication). There are wrist bands with little balls that put pressure on your wrist for <$10, and time on board. Don't let her read books or play down below. She is young and will adapt quicker than adults.

Ginger biscuits and crystalised ginger are good too.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 15:56   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive run loads of charters with a wide variety of guests (from months old to geriatric) and my anecdotal experience is that sea sickness is highly subjective...every individual is potentially different...what works for one wont work for others or may even have adverse effects (scopalamine for example is a night shade plant derivative and is potentially psychoactive).

So, my suggestion to charter guests is to test out the method ashore first to make sure it works for them or at least does not have adverse effects.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 16:35   #10
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I was thinking candied ginger but I never liked them as a kid and still don’t to this day lol
Old 29-07-2019, 17:15   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The wrist bands do keep you from throwing up. But the person will still feel nauseous. I'd definitely try it for the daughter, as she is so young. We made our own out of half shells from pistachio nuts and velcro we had around.

Also, telling her to keep her ears parallel to the horizon, and her eyes on the horizon will help, and, for a child, it may be enough. Best is to teach her to consciously relax her tummy muscles while she is looking at the horizon. It is sound physiological practice, plus it gives her something to focus on other than immanent upchucking.

Ann
Old 30-07-2019, 14:09   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The electric (mild) shock wristbands do work. Also, real ginger root (not ginger candy). I buy veg capsules and fill my own with organic dried ginger root powder. (00 size caps = .25 teaspoon, which is recommended dose for an adult). Smaller caps or perhaps 1/8 teaspoon might work for a toddler (consult a dietician, physicians generally don't know about foods) Perhaps you can mix it in a shake or other food/drink to make it go down easier, as a toddler is unlikely to swallow a capsule.

Neither of these have side effects and ginger is proven effective.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 14:51   #13
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The electric (mild) shock wristbands do work. Also, real ginger root (not ginger candy
Candied/crystallized ginger is literally candied ginger root.
Old 31-07-2019, 09:24   #14

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

You might try just not saying anything to her, (to possibly suggest it) and seeing how she does. When I was a young kid, I'd be down below in all kinds of rough weather, no window to look from, and was completely fine. The issue didn't even cross my mind as a young person. If I tried it now, I'd likely be queasy. The only time I felt sick was when my parents preventively gave me a dose of Dramamine, and I was knocked out and felt sick the whole time - remember it to this day. Good luck-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:50   #15

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another vote for the ginger. The candied stuff. Works well for both my wife and daughter. Just nibble on a piece when stomach starts feeling queezy.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness