Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 11:55   #1
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend

16 years is a long time for a dog .. there were the good times and not so good but thru it all he was the best companion. even after being diagnosed in january with liver cancer he had several outstanding months with us. i reckon i was the one who had the most difficult time of him being gone. everywhere i go i still see that little white dog. you would think tears would not come so easily for a grown man. well anyway .. what i am trying to say is enjoy the dogs and cats while you can .. they are worth every second you spend with them. cheers.
Old 25-05-2011, 11:58   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: saying goodbye to an old friend

It's tough to lose a loyal companion. Dogs and cats easily become as much a part of a family as wives and kids.
Old 25-05-2011, 12:01   #3

I know what you are feeling I had to put my dog down last month. He was suffering and I couldn't let that go on any longer. I felt just as bad after as I did when he was with us and suffering. There is a life lesson here somewhere, maybe I'll be lucky enough to find it
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 12:02   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

It's good to mourn your old pooch. It's better to clean up messes. I mean, get a puppy!

One of my favorite things about dogs, is that the sunrise-walk ritual is a great way to start the day, beats coffee.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 12:17   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
16 years is a long time for a dog .. there were the good times and not so good but thru it all he was the best companion. even after being diagnosed in january with liver cancer he had several outstanding months with us. i reckon i was the one who had the most difficult time of him being gone. everywhere i go i still see that little white dog. you would think tears would not come so easily for a grown man. well anyway .. what i am trying to say is enjoy the dogs and cats while you can .. they are worth every second you spend with them. cheers.
I know what you are going through, as tough as it is they add so much to our lives... and ask so little in return.

Peter dog is going to get a walk out of this post in memorial to your friend.

Fair Winds,
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 12:35   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Animals have their own personalities, and sometimes we come to love them as a family member, or friend. It's never easy to let a friend, or family go.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 13:38   #7
cruiser

There's native Indian folklore that when you die, you have to cross a great river on a log in order to get to the afterlife. That log is made steady by all of the dogs you've had while living. If you've been kind to your dogs, the passage is easy.

Your passage will most certainly be an easy one. The love you've had for your dog is obvious and genuine. You both were very lucky.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 14:22   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Lost Bailey at age 14.5 two years ago . . . still having a hard time with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	27782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	27783  

Old 25-05-2011, 15:37   #9

Boat: Cal 2-29

gonesail I feel your pain: They give you unconditional freindship and will forgive anything you might do. My dog Genny is barking now as I am typing and my eyes are welling up for you. God bless you.

Nylajo
nylajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 15:49   #10

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Very sad for your loss, 16 years is a great age for a dog and it sounds like he had wonderfull, loving life as your companion.

It can be so cruel that a dog or cat can become so much a part of the family and yet they have such a relatively short lifespan.
Old 25-05-2011, 16:02   #11

Boat: Orca 38

I lost Nelson 3 years ago. Life isn't the same without their love and companionship. I feel ya.
Old 25-05-2011, 16:12   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My first dog lasted 17 years, an English Setter. While we were on vacation we received a call from the folks that were watching over him. Their kids left the door open, he wandered out, perhaps looking for his way home. He was run over.

My lady thought that I'd either go into cardiac arrest or commit suicide. Both were tempting.

Just recently, my beagle-daschund mix woke up with both rear legs paralyzed. Assuming he survived the surgery, the vet told me that 50-50 would be exceedingly good odds for him to ever walk again. I figured any odds were better than none and spent thousands on his surgery. This time we won. He not only survived the spinal surgery but has been recovering very well. But despite my tears anticipating his loss, and the joy that he is still with us, I know, I will eventually have to say good-by. It's not something I would wish on anyone.

I guess that all we can do is try to rest easier knowing we gave them a small portion of the happiness they gave us and they were content and we prevented unnecessary suffering. Now excuse me, I'm going to shed a few tears of my own.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 18:01   #13

Gonesail,
Sincerely sorry for your loss. No doubt he occupied a special place in your heart (and vice versa). As for the grown man crying bit- why on Earth do people have dogs if not to love them, spoil them, and soak up their unconditional love? Dogs make us better people. I'd be worried if you weren't crying...Mourn his passing but celebrate his life and the priceless memories more.
chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 19:23   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

I'm tearing now, 7 years later, as I think of my Caramel. Hardest thing I've done in my life, having to put her down. The closest thing I have to religion is the thought that she might be waiting for me in the Happier Hunting Grounds. May he be waiting for you, Gonesail.
Old 25-05-2011, 20:19   #15

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Know how you feel, we lost our male recently. Going on 18 yrs wjen he passed away.

We sure do miss him.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote