Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 14:49   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Talking Potty map plumbing

Have not purchased boat yet, but looking with two small dogs in mind.

Had friends who used a green mat (supposed to look like grass). They kept it topside. I saw on line that they had ones that had plumbing that could rinse the grass also.

So I thought -- if you had a three bedroom, three bath boat -- you could gut one of the bathrooms and use that plumbing and set the room up as your doggie bathroom. The bedroom close to it will be diving storage anyway and who needs three bathrooms. You could make it so that it rinsed the area when you pressed a button. Not sure of the details, but figured I couldn't be the only who thought of this. Anybody done anything like this? Any thoughts on the downside, other than the use of water and it would increase the pumpage of sewage when not at sea.
Sure would be nice not to have to take the pups to shore and not to have to carry them up the steps to go.

Thank you for your thoughts.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 13:40   #2

Re: Potty map plumbing

Well, I am in shock nobody has responded that I am out of my mind. Expected somebody to jump in and say that if I had ever spent any time on a sailboat I would know better.

I was just throwing this out there to see if anyone who knew anything about boats thought it was feasible. Anyone want to comment?

Cheryl
Old 18-09-2012, 14:02   #3

You're out of your mind.

If you ever spent any time on a sailboat you'd know better.
Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:27   #4

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

I would think it would start smelling after awhile..you know how plastic holds smells...hard to get pet odors out...I would think...
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:52   #5

Boat: Pearson 26

They probably all fainted when they read your references to "bedrooms" and "bathrooms" on a boat.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:58   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Ok, Not out of your mind maybe... ; -)

If we are talking small dogs the dumps will be little. Plan on picking up with a tissue and putting in a small sealed garbage an that gets emptied often. Over the side at sea, onshore in a dumpster when docked.

Urine will rinse and you don't need any special plumbing. If you haven't got one already install a hand held shower head and plan on using that to rinse the shower pan after they have used it. A spray bottle with Nature's Miracle, or other enzymatic cleaner, kept nearby to spray down after rinsing will solve the odor problem.

I haven't done this on a boat, but I have done it in an 8th floor condo with 3 bathrooms.

good luck,

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:41   #7

Thanks -- all of you. Yeah, since i don't have a boat yet I don't have to use boating terms. Bedroom and bathroom is just fine for now -- I am still at the front of the boat and back of the boat (right and left) stage too. Have 8 houses to sell before we leave, so don't have to shift gears in any hurry.

I have read that if you don't wash (soap and water) every week it smells but not if you do that on a regular basis.

Sarafina -- thanks for your response -- Shitzhu and Pomeranian. The Shitzhu is my husband's and the Pom is mine. We take in abused puppies. We have three now, but only two will go with us the third (rat terrior) is very old and I do not expect her to be around in two years. She had her jaw broken and b/b in head when we got her 8 years ago. None of the cats are going. We had 9, now down to 6 but will be 0 in two years.

I am really pushing my husband to get things ready to put our house up for sale next fall at the latest. Cats will be passed on to relatives that have already asked for them (hate to split them up, but no choice) before we fix up the house to sell - it is 4800 sq. ft. so in this economy may take a while to sell, then again we had one house in the subdivision sell in less than 30 days this summer; others take 2 years. We can live in one of the smaller rentals that has not sold yet as we downsize to the boat. Figure ours will be the hardest to sell, but what do I know. Really pushing to get them all gone as I am 62.5 yrs of age and want to leave at 65, but real goal is 66 as doubt we can unload everythingf that quickly. Figure I can purchase boat a year or two before I retire and husband can get it ready to go while I still work.

Thanks again for all your input.

Tags
plumbing