Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2009, 06:54   #46

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Large head with separate shower. Chicks seem to absolutely NEED that.

If she's not easily convinceable I agree with making the ocean passages without her, and then flying her out to meet you. If it has to be that way, it's not really a bad alternative...

Seems that ocean sailing is as much a 'guy thing' as having a wedding is a 'chick thing'.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 07:08   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Large head with separate shower. Chicks seem to absolutely NEED that.
Amen to that. Plus fresh-water vacuflush large-bowl toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post

If she's not easily convinceable I agree with making the ocean passages without her, and then flying her out to meet you. If it has to be that way, it's not really a bad alternative...

Seems that ocean sailing is as much a 'guy thing' as having a wedding is a 'chick thing'.
There are a good few hard-core ocean sailors among the "better half" of humanity (my daughters will be, I hope, if I have any). There are a few good wives among the "better half" of humanity. If you get both in one person -- figure you've hit the jackpot. For the rest of us, having her fly out to meet you is just fine!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 07:33   #48

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Ya mean a wife can demand these luxuries and you men will do it? AND repair and maintain them? COOL, Thanks guys, I am listening and learning....what good husbands do for their wives. It is good to be a woman especially when you have a good man.
May you all have long and happy marriages, (anyone have a single brother?)
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 07:42   #49

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ya mean a wife can demand these luxuries and you men will do it? AND repair and maintain them? COOL, Thanks guys, I am listening and learning....what good husbands do for their wives. It is good to be a woman especially when you have a good man.
Erika
You forget the things the men demand to get, AND actualy GET!

You think sailing is our only crazy idea???? There are loughts and loughts of crazy ideas! Car racing, bungie diving, having a whole family of kids, scuba diving, airplanes, moving to China, vacationing in North Africa, and only God knows what else. There are also the random demands for treats, the wifes cooking, and my personal favorate, massages! Then there are the problems that we get ourselves into, and the wives are along for the ride. Like getting thrown in jail in mexico for having a spent 22 casing, and then the wife has to come bail us out.

Wives have to put up with alought of stuff to get the pampering. Don't let any of the married people fool you, everything my wife gets has a price. It's a fair price, but it has a price! (Please PLEASE PLEASE note, most of the above hasn't happened to me. It's what other married guys I know have done.)

The above said I'm still working on selling my wife on the crusing idea. I'm working many of the same angles as above. It also helps me flesh out what I want, and where I'd like to go. So it's all good!
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 12:21   #50

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
take it in small steps

1. charter bigger boats than you think you need and dont sail in bad weather
2. start with short hops to ports with good shopping
3. move up gradually to more challenging and longer cruises

My wife was a total (and I mean total) landlubber. First I chartered a 41 foot boat on Lake Champlain. Beautiful scenery, huge boat and good shopping in Burlington. Then I took her on the Chesapeake - Somewhat less protected but still good ports to visit. Then I took her to Belize - Less protected and WAY less well marked but warm and beautiful. As a bonus, she had never snorkeled on a reef before and was blown away by the fish and coral. Now she is completely excited that we have our own boat and are going to the Bahamas next year from Chesapeake Bay and wants to take scuba classes. Easy does it, and there has to be something in it for her (in my case, shopping warm weather and diving on reefs are the lure)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 12:44   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Erika
But of course. It's one of the great joys of life to do something to make some other person happy, not thinking at all how much trouble it is or how much it costs. But who am I telling? You women do it at least as much, for us, and probably more.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 15:55   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
roflmfao----i have yet to find a man who will bend to demands for any length of time--i watch all the felames do that to their men--then i read of their divorces as those same men do other women on the side----lol....as for a female who does those thoings ocean girl and i both do---men are so scared of strong women---they cannot stand to hang with a female who actually can do those things they do---like sail well and also be female...lol....roflmfao......have fun and stop yer whining about the women ye try to sail with......find one who DOES sail....lol......there are many ways to get that which ye seek----whether ye sell the admiral and go crab fishing in bering sea and buy the boat of your dreams or stay married and go sailing with or without her or what ever ye decide to do----(and the men wonder why i like my formosa and donot seek the company of those beings [male] which are not able to truly walk their talk.....lol) ps--i also did sports car racing course work for over 10 yrs...lol...many women out there--not just married ones , either lol...workers and drivers , as well.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 16:22   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
roflmfao----i have yet to find a man who will bend to demands for any length of time--i watch all the felames do that to their men--then i read of their divorces as those same men do other women on the side----lol
No one (male or female) bends to demands for any great length of time. It's about giving freely, as it makes you happy because yer know they do the same for you..........whether that be a smile , yer right arm or a squillion other things .

But, as always, YMMV............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 21:48   #54

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Susan always surprises me ... not an ocean going woman.

She booked us a holiday at a resort in Fiji yesterday. So I arrived home with the chart showing her how to get there from New Zealand. Instead of laughing and saying I must be mad, she said "That's not that far".

LOL. She was still looking at a stopover at Minerva Reef (an anchorage in the middle of deep oceans) even when I pointed out the scale!

So maybe the idea is to go for an idyllic holiday on land (not a charter boat), then show her a chart in the same format she is used to for coastal cruising. Just don't point out those depths of 10,000 metres.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 13:47   #55

Boat: Columbia sloop 24
When I married my husband 11 years ago I thought his idea of living aboard was strange. But now I am DYING to go cruising and live aboard! Just hanging out at the marina and seeing sailboats is intoxicating, We just bought a small 24 foot columbia and fixed it up. It is really kind of small to live aboard, but I sure want to try. My point is that a little bit goes a long way. Once she hangs out with the other wives at the yacht club/marina and goes out on some short sailing adventures, she may come around....you just never know. A few sunset cruises with cheese and wine and seeing dolphins swimming around the boat and BAM! She could get the fever! It happened to me.
wannabesailing is offline   Reply With Quote