Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 11:06   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Necessity travel cot

Lee cloths are great, but as someone who has raised children aboard I think a hammock is a really bad idea.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:18   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We kept em in with Lee Cloths, but I will say the south american hamock shown a couple of replys above looks like a heck of a Idea to us ! Ive seen them for years and never thought of them for when the kids were small !! Now thats safe if ya keep it LOW !! I think I could sleep in one myself !!LOL
Old 22-04-2012, 11:26   #18

Boat: Seaward 22

We put ours on the floor between the berths in the main cabin. Lots of pillows to make a nest. She slept great, and there was no way to fall out of bed because she was at the lowest part of the boat.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:19   #19

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Sara, I am familiar with the deep hammocks. I really think the key to hammock use is to get them used to it from birth. We were going to use this Amby Baby Hammocks: World for the very reason of getting the baby to associate sleep with a hammock so we could use a hammock on the boat. This was recalled right around 2 years ago, so we missed our opportunity. I do know they have redesigned these and are supposed to have a safer model coming on the market eventually.

If you put my brand new 2 year old in a stretch hammock, she would think it was play time or would get annoyed and would try to climb out of it. I think there is a window of opportunity with babies to get them used to different things but once they are about a year or so, it closes until they are a little bit bigger and you can sell them on the idea of a new and exciting bed.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:00   #20

Boat: Hanse 495
Send a message via Skype™ to taduka
we have cruised extensively with our one year old and the travel cot has been great. easy to store when not needed and assembled in seconds.
taduka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:31   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Sara, I am familiar with the deep hammocks. I really think the key to hammock use is to get them used to it from birth. We were going to use this Amby Baby Hammocks: World for the very reason of getting the baby to associate sleep with a hammock so we could use a hammock on the boat. This was recalled right around 2 years ago, so we missed our opportunity. I do know they have redesigned these and are supposed to have a safer model coming on the market eventually.

If you put my brand new 2 year old in a stretch hammock, she would think it was play time or would get annoyed and would try to climb out of it. I think there is a window of opportunity with babies to get them used to different things but once they are about a year or so, it closes until they are a little bit bigger and you can sell them on the idea of a new and exciting bed.

The Amby has a huge stand that makes it impractical for marine use. When our kids were first born we used a hammock for awhile, can't remember the name. It was hand made by a very small company in Israel where apparently baby hammocks are fairly common. It had all sorts of spreader bars and was impossible to flip over or fall out of. It was nice but took up far too much real estate, especially under way when swing room came into play. In the end we gave it away and used a standard travel playpen instead, it took up much less room and was easier to get the babies in and out of. JMHO.
Old 22-04-2012, 14:33   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone speak Hebrew?

- - - - - -
Old 22-04-2012, 14:37   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it was this one-

Baby Cradle Crib Hammock Motion Bed Infant Big Bassinet | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!lUE9mmZ3TW9BPhJzKZTt!~~60_12.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	40263  
Old 03-07-2012, 20:23   #24

Hello

New to this forum. We just moved back on our boat after a six year refit. We had our daughter now 8 on our last boat at 6 months cruising till we bought the bigger boat. We used the cradle hammock shown and it worked pretty good till around 12 months. The down side is as we found out there is a magic time where they stand up and roll out of it. I used our pilot berth as the kid zone after that, I got some canvas screen like you use on dodger windows I made it to fit in the opening and fastened with screws and snaps I also sewed in a inverted u shaped zipper for access and put up blanket padding on the hull, for easy removal washing etc. This worked great till we sold the boat when she was 2. She could see us all the time and was secure under way and in port if need be. I might have a old pic on I can put up.

Jake
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 07:53   #25

Re: Necessity Travel Cot

Somewhere I have seen exactly what you need.

A family had a young baby, and they had made semi rigid bunks out of cloth. It was basically a pipe with a cloth slung across. The clever part was they then had netting that kept the baby in, as it was always escaping. The netting was somehow built into the side shelves.

I'll see if I can find the blog it was on.
Old 19-02-2013, 08:07   #26

Found it

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog
Old 19-02-2013, 08:11   #27

We've raised our daughter, and have our now week old daughter, on our boat. For passages we have them in a berth that has rather soft sides. We keep soft-ish stuff in there with her to minimize the distance she can fly and cushion the landings when she does. Fortunately little kids don't weigh much so there's not nearly as much inertia as an adult.

Lee clothes work great, line the sides with soft baskets filled with spare clothes, yoga mats, the spinnaker, whatever.

My wife has a ton of stuff on her blog about it:

Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart (go to Charlotte's blog) on there
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:03   #28

^ what he said

Your wife's pics of all the cool stuff she sewed inspired me to make some bags
Bags from Old Sails | Sailing With Kids
Old 19-02-2013, 18:25   #29
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We've raised our daughter, and have our now week old daughter, on our boat. For passages we have them in a berth that has rather soft sides. We keep soft-ish stuff in there with her to minimize the distance she can fly and cushion the landings when she does. Fortunately little kids don't weigh much so there's not nearly as much inertia as an adult.

Lee clothes work great, line the sides with soft baskets filled with spare clothes, yoga mats, the spinnaker, whatever.

My wife has a ton of stuff on her blog about it:

Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart (go to Charlotte's blog) on there

Week old-congratulations!