Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07   #1
cruiser

more sad news

2nd boy dies after shock incident in Tennessee lake - U.S. News

wow, us boaters are going to come under a lot of scrutiny and more legislation is abound
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 16:53   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not that unusual as you can tell from the multiple incidents. I used never think twice about diving in a marina. Now as it was then it is a bad idea. stray current in the water is debilitating ,unseen deadly and tragic . Looking back I'm thinking how stupid I was to assume that all that conduit and cordage is well installed.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 17:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: more sad news

I guess we expose ourselves to horrible incidents like these just because of the lifestyle/lives we lead.

So so sad all we can do is smarten our act up and learn by these tragic events .......
Old 06-07-2012, 17:23   #4
Eternal Member

Maybe. But there seems to be a portion of the human population that just doesn't get it.....and probably never will. Examples: - drunk drivers - just plain drunks - smokers - drug addicts - extreme overweight people - those who text while driving etc., etc. Plenty of evidence that these are dangerous if not suicidal acts/conditions, but little evidence that much learning takes place. Tragic, 'cuz some of these folks are my friends :-) Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 17:30   #5

Right but that's not what happened. What happened was some way Ac electrical current that did not have proper connection got into the water. First thought given the condition in many marinas do not swim in the marina. Second thought given how many boats and the many with sketchy wiring don't swim in the marina.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49   #6
cruiser

i have seen some very scary electrical infrastructures in what is supposed to be very nice marinas.... How they can run high voltage lines under water scares the living crap out of me... they were supposed to be in conduit, but with floating docks, the conduits just plain fail.. not strain/flex relief... and what is left is three 4/0 wires hanging in the water...

Im not so sure the problem with this story was the fault of the boats, except/unless the failure came thru the thru hulls, and if so, the boats themselves would prolly be aware of the problem with low voltage issues, and or tripped breakers, and at the least, high zinc failures...

btw, I am surprised how little attention this story is getting compared to the other article posted... except that the other story has somewhat obvious / easy speculation issues re the captain/boat operator
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman
i have seen some very scary electrical infrastructures in what is supposed to be very nice marinas.... How they can run high voltage lines under water scares the living crap out of me... they were supposed to be in conduit, but with floating docks, the conduits just plain fail.. not strain/flex relief... and what is left is three 4/0 wires hanging in the water...

Im not so sure the problem with this story was the fault of the boats, except/unless the failure came thru the thru hulls, and if so, the boats themselves would prolly be aware of the problem with low voltage issues, and or tripped breakers, and at the least, high zinc failures...

btw, I am surprised how little attention this story is getting compared to the other article posted... except that the other story has somewhat obvious / easy speculation issues re the captain/boat operator
I agree. This happens every year, year after year every year going back more years. Usually is the marina or private docks wiring that contributes. Why I and my kids will not swim in a marina.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17   #8

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I just made a new GFCI pigtail for my dock !
Stray current making electrolysis go crazy is one thing, kids getting zapped is crazy!!
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Very tragic.

Four good reasons not to swim in a marina.....

Boat traffic.
Possible raw sewage being pumped overboard.
Possible stray electrical currents.
Chances are the owner probably prohibits it because of the liability.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18   #10

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Freshwater is MUCH WORSE for electric shock drowning that salt water.
Your body will conduct the current BETTER that the surrounding fresh water, so currents will preferentially want to flow through you in fresh water. Current leaking into salt water is not as dangerous since it has an easier time to flow back to source through the salt water. All those fresh water marinas should have GFCI on the shore power lines or ELCI breakers at minimum on the dock! IMO. Having it on the DOCK protects people from leaky shore power cords. If you just have ELCI or GFCI on the boat, the shore power cords not protected. I have seen shore power cords in the water and leaking current cause they are damaged gotten pinched when boat hits dock and cord in the way, etc...
A damaged cord happened on my boat and the shore power copper wire was eaten up about 2 feet. Insulation looked reasonably ok. This happened in salt water. If there had been an ELCI breaker on the shore power source, then my wire would not have been a hazard. Nobody got hurt, I just happened to notice one day when the boat had lost power.

All your wiring can be in great shape, then an accident happens and the wire is damaged and now suddenly you got an issue.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 13:20   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440

Does a dropped lead in saltwater tend to generate chlorine gas which insulates the flow back to earth hence earth leakage tends not to trip?
Old 07-07-2012, 23:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Very tragic.

Four good reasons not to swim in a marina.....

Boat traffic.
Possible raw sewage being pumped overboard.
Possible stray electrical currents.
Chances are the owner probably prohibits it because of the liability.
David ,
. My one child used to swim along as I rowed in from my mooring. Ssemed innocent enough. Very bad idea . Of the above list stray electrical current is why we don't do that anymore/ever. Helps if more people know. I don't know the physics behind how the current reacts once in the water. Just so don't want anyone else experiencing the effect.