Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2006, 23:40   #1

Mattress Material in the V-Berth

Hi, my name is Shar, I'm new to the forum. We are in the process of refitting our 33' Yorktown and the v berth is next on the list of to do projects. I'm wondering what you are using for mattress material and how you like it and why? Thanks, Shar
Old 22-02-2006, 00:48   #2

Welcome aboard Shar.

Wow!! So you're from Morro Bay. Alrighty then.

I used to hang out ALOT around Morro Bay. I am originally from California. But now, I live in Phoenix Arizona.

Here's a thread from the past. Talking about mattress's. You didn't say anything about the slip covers, that go over the mattress itself?

But somebody might answer that part for you. I'll just provide you this link. I hope this'll aim you in a direction you're looking for?

And once again welcome aboard Shar.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...?threadid=3039

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 18:38   #3
cruiser

Mattress material

Sleeping on too soft and too thick(4 inch) material gave me back problems. When I slept on the floor the pain went away. When I went back on the foam it hurt again. I replaced the V berth material with 1 inch backpackers foam over thick carpet. No more problem. For settee berths I had very heavy, black neoprene , probably very expensive 3 inch foam. It gave me back problems whenever I was at sea and couldn't use the V berth. When I got to port it only took one night in the V berth for the pain to subside completely and never bother me again until I slept on the foam again. I got rid of the foam and replaced it with 1 inch dense carpet liner foam and thich carpet. No more problems.
What was I doing using berth cushions that didn't match my back?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 08:36   #4

The best material we have found is a Natural Latex mattress. You can get them in a professional installation in different thicknesses 4” 6” and I think 8”. We have had so many boats and I have a bad back also that we found that you can get the same mattress at your local mattress store in different sizes also. We buy the basic mattress and just cut them to size with an electric knife to fit any shape or size. I recommend adding a small cotton cover with a 1” to 2” pad. Natural Latex will not mold and gives good support. It does not seem to brake down either.
Old 28-04-2006, 12:26   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Without a doubt, the best results are achieved by a mix of materials. My personal preference is 3" of high density foam (heavy and provides a good solid base) with 3" of "memory" foam on top (e.g. tempura - which was developed for the space industry) The cover needs a base material that prevents any condensation getting to the foam, and sufficient vents in the side to allow the foam to breath as it heats/cools.
Old 28-04-2006, 14:54   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Inner spring

mattresses are for me. I like custom made innersprings for my sleeping pleasure. All else makes sailing like camping.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 15:05   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Talbot, I am going to be using the Memory foam (i have used it at home for years and love it) you said ; The cover needs a base material that prevents any condensation getting to the foam, and sufficient vents in the side to allow the foam to breath as it heats/cools.

hum im not sure if I understand , what is the cover made out of?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 15:28   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Shar, with any type of "foam" rubber you need to know the density ("durometer" number) for the foam. High density foam compresses a lot less than low density, and a better foam mattress will have two layers. A lower density foam on top, to conform to your body, and a higher density below for support. The right density for you is partly a choice of what feels good, partly a choice of what you can find available. Any real foam supplier can custom make the sandwich for you, they slice and glue the stuff like we make PBJ sandwiches.
And a real supplier is typically 1/2-1/3 the cost of a fancy mattress place, for the same foams.

There are also differences in foam quality, and for that you have to rely on reputation and guarantee. Foam rubber is made either by injected "batter" with gas, which fizzes up and foams it when pressure is released, or more commonly and cheaply like a pancake batter, the chemicals fizz and cook when heated. The latter is way cheaper--but becomes brittle, turns to goo, or powder, as it ages. Beware cheap anonymous sources of foam, in five years you'll have a bagful of yellow dust.
Also take care not to let mildew get into it. Mattress foams are almost all open cell foam, and once mildew gets IN, even steam cleaning and bleach soaking can be ineffecitve at getting it out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 04:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Can anyone report their experience with Latex matresses (Dunlop method or Talalay method of manufacture)?
Oops, I see sundari reports favourably. Which type do you have?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 06:13   #10

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
We installed a Handcraft Inner spring mattress [ www.boatbeds.com ] when we first bought our boat. Can't tell you how happy we have been with that decision. Much better than any foam mattress we have been on to date. They will put seams in etc so you can access storage. Not the least expensive solution but if you spend a lot of time on the boat or are a liveaboard then I think well worth the $$.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 21:35   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord-
Your mention of terms made me do a fast web search and I found http://www.healthyfoundations.com/latex.html which neatly explains a bit more.
Apparently Dunlop uses natural air whipped into the foam where Talalay uses chemicals, and neither uses the vacuum expansion that is used with wetsuit neoprenes. I'm suspect that if the Dunlop method produces materials that are of the right density, it would be superior. No need to worry about if or whether the chemicals were adequately washed out, present, or going to cause decay in ten years. I can't see any reason to desire Talalay from the little I've read.
That site also mentions that actual mattress makers--as opposed to simple foam suppliers--will use additional needling in the foam to create zones of different stiffness from head to toe. Finally, a logical mention of a "value added" by real mattress makers!<G>
By the way, I've been sleeping on high density foam for nearly 20 years. I'm tempted to add the softer topper that I didn't when I first got it, but the foam is still in great shape and my back still living it. Not that I'd never go back to spring mattresses...but I can't see any reason I'd ever want to again. Expensive, heavy, and an industry built on smoke and mirrors. Too confusing for this short life!
Old 16-06-2010, 16:38   #12

Boat: Trapper 300
I found this Mattress topper for cushions

Anyone tried this solution for interior cushions and berths: its a four inch thick material 2.5" foam and 1.5" memory foam:
Walmart.com: Spa Sensations 4" Memory Foam Mattress-Topper: Furniture
I was gonna buy the supper king size and cut it up to fit the various cushions.
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:02   #13

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50
I know that this thread is dated, but 2 years ago we purchased our memory foam mattress from overstock and it arrived all rolled up a week later, we took it below and cut it with an electric knife, and have been happy. We put the original mattress cover back on it, and no mold problems whatso ever....

Serta 8-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress | Overstock.com

We live aboard, and have never slept so well as we do on the boat with this mattress.
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:28   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

heron-
A "topper" is usually a LOW DENSITY foam, density to make a nice soft layer on top of the real mattress which is providing support. Using the topper without a support (high density) layer beneath it, could be a mistake.
Since it is Walmart...maybe try sleeping on it for two weeks before you cut it up, so you can return it if you don't like the feeling.
Old 16-06-2010, 18:24   #15
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
For foam mattresses I like 2" hi density 40lb under 3" 30lb med firm underr 2" 20 lb ex soft. Feels really luxurious stiff enough for back and your elbows and knees don't bottom out, when tying springs I like to do a high loft polyester quilted pillowtop.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote