Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2012, 19:23   #1

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft
Matthew Flinders' Cat

As we continue our trip around Australia and beyond I have been having a wonderful time learning about the maritime history of the areas we are visiting - particularly the fascinating voyages of Matthew Flinders (it helps that he has a wonderful, lyrical writing style!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share this completely charming tribute by Flinders to his cat Trim, written in 1809 when he was imprisoned in Mauritius. Poor old Trim shared his captivity but was probably stolen and eaten by hungry slaves.

It is at once tongue-in-cheek and completely sincere. Anyone who loves their ships cat and takes joy in their little quirks is sure to relate. I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

Matthew Flinders' biographical tribute to his cat Trim 1809
Old 13-05-2012, 19:52   #2

Boat: Duncanson 37
Re: Matthew Flinders' Cat

I have the original copy of Trim and read it as a child, and my parents named me after Matthew Flinders.....but theres no way a cat will join my voyages!! haha
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 23:14   #3

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun View Post
As we continue our trip around Australia and beyond I have been having a wonderful time learning about the maritime history of the areas we are visiting - particularly the fascinating voyages of Matthew Flinders (it helps that he has a wonderful, lyrical writing style!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share this completely charming tribute by Flinders to his cat Trim, written in 1809 when he was imprisoned in Mauritius. Poor old Trim shared his captivity but was probably stolen and eaten by hungry slaves.

It is at once tongue-in-cheek and completely sincere. Anyone who loves their ships cat and takes joy in their little quirks is sure to relate. I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

Matthew Flinders' biographical tribute to his cat Trim 1809
Great stuff Blue Sun,

I have a 'ships cat' called Minke. I picked her up from the Gladstone Feedbarn when she was probably only 3-4wks old. She grew up only on the boat and has only developed land legs 18 months ago. Currently it is her dinner time so I am being harassed.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 00:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Great stuff Blue Sun,

I have a 'ships cat' called Minke. I picked her up from the Gladstone Feedbarn when she was probably only 3-4wks old. She grew up only on the boat and has only developed land legs 18 months ago. Currently it is her dinner time so I am being harassed.
Wow, 4 weeks is young! Perhaps Minke will relate to this account of Trim's transition to being a landlubber?

"Trim was not only a stranger to England, but also to a house and to the manner of living in it ... I took a lodging for him at Deptford, placing him under the guardianship of the good woman of the house, who promised to instruct him in the usages of Terra Firma; but she knew not what she had undertaken. He would go out at the sash window to the top of the house, for the convenience of making his observations on the surrounding country more at ease; – it came on to rain, – the sash was put down. This would have been an invincible obstacle to other cats, but not so to Trim: He bolted through the glass like a clap of thunder, to the great alarm of the good hostess below. ...

Woe to the good woman's china, if Trim got into her closet. Your delicate town bred cats go mincing in amongst cup and saucers without touching them; but Trim! If he spied a mouse there he dashed at it like a man of war, through thick and thin: the splinters flew in all directions. The poor woman at first thought an evil spirit was playing his pranks in her cupboard; – she opens the door with fear and trembling; when, to her infinite dismay, out jumps my black gentleman upon her shoulder: she was well neigh dead with fear. Seeing how much mischief was done to her dear china, the pride of her heart, she seized Trim to beat him soundly; but instead of trying to escape, the droll animal rubs his wiskers [sic] up against her chin and falls to purring. She had no longer the heart to strike him; but after a moment's hesitation, she heaved a sigh and picked up the pieces."
Old 14-05-2012, 01:25   #5

Here are some pics as she grew up. I only added it as Southace was not keen on a cat on his Dunc 37 and I thought he does not know what he is missing. {unless he is allergic or something]
Click image for larger version

Name:	a020.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	41005

Name:	april 04 116.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	41006

Name:	april 04 106.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	41007

Name:	minke 019.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	41008

Name:	ANZAC DAY SAIL 036.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	41009

Name:	P8030021.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	41010

She never fell off, never jumped off in a marina, beat up any feline boyfriends.
Great friend onboard
Old 14-05-2012, 01:37   #6

Ok I admit! cute ! and I have thought about a cat but Im not sure how a cat would cope with all the little dogs that seem to be arriving on the liveaboards around me, so much for the big sign on the gate no dogs!!
I did think about a ships parrot due to the low maintance aspect!!
Now im thinking cute cat!! do they get sea sick??
Old 14-05-2012, 02:11   #7

Wow, Minke is gorgeous Rusky!
Below are a few pics of our girl, Kitty. Southace, she used to get seasick but not so much anymore. She definitely prefers being at anchor, but she was 8 yeas old when she moved aboard - Im sure a cat that has grown up on board would do fine.

The fun and companionship that Kitty adds to the ship is worth any inconvenience. She's fabulous. Perhaps she's not a philosopher and scientist like Trim - more a gastronomer and sleep researcher - but she is an essential member of the crew!

Old 14-05-2012, 02:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Ok I admit! cute ! and I have thought about a cat but Im not sure how a cat would cope with all the little dogs that seem to be arriving on the liveaboards around me, so much for the big sign on the gate no dogs!!
I did think about a ships parrot due to the low maintance aspect!!
Now im thinking cute cat!! do they get sea sick??
Well Bluey, Kitty looks very happy.

South; Ok, minke once had a staffy shaking with fear, after that, it would not go near the boat with the cat. A couple of times a potential boyfriend hopped aboard - I think they are still running.

She is very mindful of her territory and her people. She also had something to do with keeping me in the range of sanity I enjoy -
Old 14-05-2012, 02:24   #9

Very intresting! I think I want one of those! how long do they last before needing recharged? like how many days, hours will they be self sufficient ?? toilet?? food??

None on Ebay with postage! dam it
Old 14-05-2012, 14:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Very intresting! I think I want one of those! how long do they last before needing recharged? like how many days, hours will they be self sufficient ?? toilet?? food??

None on Ebay with postage! dam it
sanity or a cat????

Would a teenager suffice - most would have one way postage thrown in, however they are high maintenance esp the female variety Oh Oh