Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 13:22   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Lost my buddy

I lost a parrot once on an offshore transit. He was a caged bird, so there was zero chance of him reaching land from 40 miles out. I understand your pain Jacob, but were it not for my loss I would have never been given another bird (macaw) who has been my sailing companion for the last 17 years... Please don't rule out another pet aboard!
Old 22-02-2012, 15:12   #17

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran

As a dedicated pet owner i can imagine your grief, i hope your cat turns up, keep the faith she;s still out there good luck cheers Andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 15:24   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

So sorry for your loss Jacob. I lost my little buddy last Aug. and sometimes I still feel her jump onto the bed at night. A neighbor's cat disappeared for 70 day. One day the SPCA called and said she was ready to come home. A woman over 30 miles away had seen her in the bush and had been feeding her for a while until she could catch her. She arrived home healthy and happy. I wish that for you as well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 15:31   #19

Sucks bro. We had a dog swim across the cove and right past our boat. Hauled her out of the water. She was all bloody and torn up from trying to go up fouled docks. Rinsed her off and dried her, gave her some food and let her sleep in the cockpit. We put an ad on craigslist about it and got a call at 7am the next morning.

Family from out of town was on the other end of the cove, dog got spooked by fireworks and took off swimming. Swam maybe a good 500 yards in ~65 degree water.

Edit: just saw the blog post from that. It was almost four years ago.

http://rebelheart.squarespace.com/bl...eet-lucky.html

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 11:30   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Thanks for the kind words. With any luck she is safe somewhere. The not knowing is the toughest part. Had a report of a sighting yesterday but I have some doubts as to its accuracy. I still set a few traps out just in case. I caught two ferrel cats a few days ago but no Bella.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 11:50   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I agree with the hopefuls. Cats are wonderful survivors. I had a cat that would disappear for a week at a time and just about when I had given up hope would show up again and wonder what all the fuss was about. Keep looking around the water front and you might get pleasantly surprised.
Old 24-02-2012, 12:02   #22

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

As many have said before, dont give up hope just yet, i would go with JayH on this one,,Bella has probably gotten herself into someplace and cant get back out, maybe someone who is feeding her,,,Cats are funny that way, they can go walkabout for many moons and then just saunter back in as if nothing happened, I know the pain of losing a pet as i have just lost the last of a Litter of four sibs after 14 years, and i was/am shattered.
I plan on getting another Kitty as soon as i move aboard this summer and having some method of getting him/her back aboard if ever he/she falls overboard. also i am intending on teaching said Kittahhh how to swim or at least to love water.
Good luck on finding Bella dont give up just yet.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 12:18   #23

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I know the pain of loosing pets is hard, having had dogs, cats, turtles, and other furry critters growing up I've had to deal with the loss more than once. The worst was when I left the gate open to the back yard and our Boston Terrior name Snickers (a boy and prone to wander) found himself near an apartment complex on a busy street. From what a witness said two teens were calling the dog back and forth acrossed the street! He got hit and died. That was a bad day as a kid. Blamed myself and felt pretty lousy for awhile. You never know when your going to loose a pet or friends so you just have to remember the fun you had. Keep looking we've had plenty of cats though do the same walkabout for months! Good luck and my sympathies.
appick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 18:08   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Lost my Buddy

Update. She is back! Got the call tonight that she was under a car about a block away. She came right out when she heard my voice. She is skinny and needs a bath but looks good otherwise. Off to the vet tomorrow for spaying and chipping.

She ate as if she were starving and is now sleeping comfortably at my feet.

Happy cat dad here!
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 18:10   #25

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Thanks for updating us on the great news, i am a total cat person too and you just made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
Update. She is back! Got the call tonight that she was under a car about a block away. She came right out when she heard my voice. She is skinny and needs a bath but looks good otherwise. Off to the vet tomorrow for spaying and chipping.

Happy cat dad here!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 19:15   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post

Happy cat dad here!
Glad to hear it.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:21   #27

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Second time reading this thread, but I had faith from the start.
I'm glad to hear your buddy is back!
We've got three of 'em.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 21:03   #28

FANTASTIC news! So happy for you both!
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 21:59   #29

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Very glad to hear she's home safe and sound. You might consider providing a means of her getting back aboard if that happens again.
Old 26-02-2012, 22:52   #30

Boat: too many

Good to hear the happy reunion. I wasn't so lucky with my cat named Cummins (named for the diesel engine), when we watched the Space Shuttle land at Edwards AFB in the motorhome. Got there the night before and had to park alongside the hwy that had a lot of traffic, so I wouldn't let her out. I know what your thinking, traveling with a cat that you let out is asking for her to get lost. Not Cummins, she had the tacky habit of spraying, and pretty much id'ed the outside of motorhome, so no matter where we camped, she would return after exploring her new area. On the dry lake bed there were 1,000's of RVs, and someone must of thought her a stray and took her in. I asked the military if I could stay a day after the landing to see if she would return, and got permission. That following day I opened and checked about 600 portable toilets, no Cummins.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote