Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 18:01   #1

Looking for Cruising Kids (Teens and Pre-Teens) to Start Correspondence

Hey, there!
This coming December we'll be casting off from our land-based ties and embarking on the cruising life with our four daughters ages5, 10, 13, 15.
As there are a mixed array of emotions envolved with the boisterous lot, I thought that some of their best queries could be answered by fellow youth cruisers. Are there any of you out there willing to start some semblance of correspondence prior to our departure? We hope that in so doing, the girls may feel that a fulfilling life is still assessible at sea by hearing the recounts of those with experience.
Much obliged!
Simonne and Crew
ps. Neurotica is not our boat, but our Land Rover....but not for long as she dont float, so she gotta go!
neurotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:22   #2

Boat: Nor'West 33
Cruising Youth

Hi Simonne,

Don't know if you're looking for kids/teens that are currently cruising or have been cruising, but my family and I spent four years circumnavigating ('98-'02), and I was 11 when we left, 15 when we got home. Also have a younger sister who was 6 when we left; I'd be happy to chat/answer any questions you or your girls might have! Where are you headed? Any idea of how long?

-Leah
synchronicity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 20:48   #3

Boat: Peterson 46
Last boat, our son was 5 when we started, 10 when we got off the boat. Now he is 14 and very useful on the boat. We will be at least another year land locked before heading off again. We will (hopefully) be cruising about the western pacific, summering in NZ for the cyclone season. We used the HF and email for coms and schooling.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 22:12   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
I am about to take my 13 yo daughter and 11 year old son on the Baja ha Ha. My daughter is really into texting right now. I think she will be very unhappy when she can't txt in Mexico for two weeks. Any suggestions from the teenagers on how to make it easier for her? I'd appreciate any ideas.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 01:11   #5

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
If you would like to speak with young girls living aboard, well these two would be great, you can see their blog at this site Sailing Vessel Precipice - NEW, as well you can reach them throught this email address KD8JOU@winmail.com They are at this very moment in Cambridge Bay traveling through the North west passage with their parents.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 01:24   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Sell the kids along the way for new sails and other important stuff.

The other point I wanna make is they will enjoy it more than you. Kids didn't fall outta the trees with Ipods. They will love everything about their new life... all the while you panic and fret about it.

Just go and enjoy it to the max! And if any kids cracks a tanty put them in the dinghy till they act like a human

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 02:14   #7

Blog?

It would be cool especially if you have internet on board if they start a blog. Kind of like a logbook, a post or two everyday will guarantee outside world connection.
aviationalyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 04:04   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
you can reach them throught this email address .......
Not a good idea to give an address that is recognizable by spiderbots unless you really like receiving spam.

Even more important with a small capacity link.

recommend amend to remove the @ and write at
Old 31-08-2009, 04:56   #9

1. my toyota landcrusiers name is "min".....because it is the very centre of "determination".....at 39 she is allowed to be a bit old fashioned in her name.
2. listenen to people who are parents......
3. listenen to people who are parents who have sailed with their kids.
4. There is a huge cliche about kids and sailing, mostly put up by people who dont have kids.
5. The age of the kid makes a huge differance......sounds obvious....BUT.....certain changes and interests happen at certain times. Take your kids "first love" seriously. They do and wont forgive you in a hurry for not understanding.
6. No pointus parents being a smart arse....chances are that they will be better sailors quicker. The internet is like sailing...sort of..fact is kids have an ability to grasp "a feel" or concept.
7.Dont do the dingy punishment thing..particulaly with young males. Its dangerous. What anwser will you have if they say "Im going to roll it over".....If you get to this stage ..its time to re think.
8. MOST cruisers dont do huge world adventures. They are far more tame afairs, where shore based social life and other pursuits are ever present for our kids...not soaring albatoss and sealions......or "yeah..whateva"
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 05:10   #10

....just as an interesting aside. When things got rough and the boat and my stress levels went bumpy......BOTH my youngest boy and the dog put them selves to bed.......

taught me "Dad I dont like this but when I wake up it will all be better".

I am sure you will have an amazing time. As long as you dont compromise overal saftey.....compromise !
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 07:48   #11

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100-"Kissa"
Hi Simonne & crew! My family will be heading off before christmas 2010. We will be sailing the east coast of Australia with my 3 teenage daughters, twins will be 17 yrs and youngest 15 yrs. My partner and I are also not experienced sailors, so it should be fun! We are currently building a Schionning Wilderness 1100 catamaran in our backyard in suburbia, which has also been interesting, challenging and at times fun. We would love to keep in contact with you & see how you are travelling. Maybe when we get on the water, we could meet up.
Vicki & crew
vic33z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 08:38   #12

So wonderful to hear from you!
It sounds like you are making quite a statement for yourselves as a family unit back in Suburbia! Good for you all!
Known to never turn down an adventure, I also am embarking on this sailing voyage as a self-proclaimed land-lubber.....Curiosity should keep us heading to new lands ( key word: "land" bear in mind !) The turtle shell scenario with the boat will be our facilitator for various factors. Overall, I am anticipating that it will challenge the lot of us and make us more complete as successful human beings.
All the best to you and your crew!
Lets try to keep tabs once and a while to see how things be!
Cheers!
Simonne and her somewhat mutinuous crew
neurotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 14:50   #13

Boat: motorsailer 17.7oa The Road
Hi
We have just about completed our first trip as a family ie with our 11 yo girl and 5 yo boy. We have been cruising around the whitsundays for a couple of months now and our boy dosent ever want to go home. Our daughter however has had enough of being seperated from her friends and family and is homesick. I agree that a blog would be a wonderful idea as my daughters spirits are greatly uplifted when she receives emails from her class and friends. We have been breaking up the trip with stops for a treat such as a lunch or even just a walk and an icecream.
I think that it is a bit of a gamble to think that all kids will love cruising, esp extended cruising. We took ours on a couple of shorter trips to allow them to get used to it. We tried to make these trips as enjoyable as possible for the kids eg bring a friend along - if the friend thinks that the trip was fantastic most likely so will your kid. Go places that are good for the kids eg parks or snorkelling or if there are fireworks scheduled somewhere. If the kids start out thinking that the boat is a place that is enjoyable it is easier to keep that up. If they start to think of the boat as a place that removes them from fun and friends then thats a problem as they naturally want to minimise their time on board. Most kids have shorter attention spans than adults so try to keep things happening - I dont mean that you need to provide never ending entertainment just provide things in bite sized chunks. Our Kids were very proud of various acheivments eg learning to tie a bowline or duck diving and these things seem much more important to them than the beautiful sunsets etc
One great plus from this trip is that our daughter has developed a of love of reading, she loses herself in novels. previously she had never experienced being caught up in a book, to the point that it is hard to put it down.
Good Luck and hope that none of your kids are prone to get seasick
The Robinsons on The Road
Old 25-09-2009, 06:15   #14

My wife and I plus our 2 kids... son 10 and daughter 6 are heading out south from Jacksonville, FL in early November. We are going to be looking for other kid boats so the kids can have playmates! Any other kid boats doing the Bahamas this winter.... let us know!

terrycspringer at yahoo.com

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 14:22   #15

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
We'll be in the northern Exumas mid-February to early April -- if all goes according to plan. My wife and I plus our daughters, ages 9 and 12.

If you see a strange-looking green and white wooden lugsail yawl pulled up to the beach, that's us. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids