Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 16:48   #1

Boat: Amel 54
Lifeline netting?

Pros and Cons regarding netting for safety concerns (toddler & dog) on a 28 foot Cape Dory. Does it provide a false sense of security? Would attaching the toddler to a lifeline and keep her in the cockpit or cabin be just as good or has anyone had a personal experience when the netting saved the child's life? Both the child and dog wear life jackets on board. Thank you.
reynoldsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Lifeline netting?

On ships the netting is to keep a big wave from washing you overboard if it knocks you down. And it does work. For a small dog and a toddler, it will keep them from going under the rail. But it won't stop a climber or a jumping dog. Even with netting, I had a big dog jump overboard by accident. My dog doesn't wear a life jacket, but a toddler, I'd keep tied to something or make a space with high netting he, she, it couldn't get out of.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:06   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch
Re: Lifeline netting?

I don't think netting provides a sense of false security, it helps people or things from slipping over the side. If we were anchored our toddlers were allowed on deck with lifejackets. If we were underway, they wore harnesses with tethers and an adult had to be on deck as well.

The kids are grown now, but we still have netting. Now it's for the three cats. But each one of them has managed to go over the side while at anchor! They are always locked below while underway.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote