Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 02:52   #1

Lagoon 380 with 3 young kids

Hi all
just curious to hear about experiences of anyone who has sailed a Lagoon 380 or similar sized boat with 3 kids ranging from 6 to 11 or thereabouts. Interested in everything from getting them interested in initial day trips and overnighters (in the Med in our case), opportunities for them to learn and get involved, things they love or don't tend to like, etc, all the way through to living aboard for longer periods of cruising.
Many thanks in advance for any and all insights!
Sailorripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:26   #2

Boat: 1977 Irwin 52
Re: Lagoon 380 with 3 young kids

Another good resource for that kind of info is kids4sail fb page.
keaislandsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44   #3

Thanks
Old 06-05-2020, 07:40   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Well I grew up on a Grampian 26 with three kids, two parents, and two dogs. No pressure or hot water. So from my perspective an L380 would be paradise!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01   #5

Thanks for the reply. So, what do you think about getting kids the age of mine interested? Things they will like or not like, things to think about? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorripley View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, what do you think about getting kids the age of mine interested? Things they will like or not like, things to think about? Thanks!
No one can answer that question, but eventually they will. I know if it were me at that age I would be marking off the days on the calendar until I stepped on that boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:33   #7

It's not about the boat. That boat is wonderfull. A smaller or larger boat would be wonderful just as well (ok, maybe not too much smaller). Kids these ages want to be with you (mum and dad). The more attention, time and activities you can share together, the happier they will be. So pay attention to them, and don't let the boat suck up your time and attention and they will be onboard and happy little sailors!
Bambooboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:59   #8

Quote: "So, what do you think about getting kids the age of mine interested?"

An inconvenient truth: Being on passage (cruising) in a "big" boat is BOOORING for kids that age. In a modern boat with no stings to be pulling at all the time there is nothing for kids to do. "Dad - are we there yet?" and "How much longer, Dad?" are likely to become a constant refrains.

The way to them interested in sailing is to enroll them in classes at the local sailing club where the little ones will be introduced to it by way of something like the Optimist dinghy and the older ones by way of something like the 420 dinghy.

Once the kiddies have been bitten, because THEY are in control (under competent supervision) and muckin' about with their age-mates all with their butts draggin' in the water, they'll come aboard "dad's" boat and pretend it's theirs. You might get to trim the jib sheets now and then, but don't hope for being trusted with the spinnaker :-)!

If you are good at woodwork, and the kinds are interested in it, make a family project of building something like an Eastport dingy which you can then, later on, use for a tender for your boat. That'll give the kids bragging rights wherever you go :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 13:14   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorripley View Post
Hi all
just curious to hear about experiences of anyone who has sailed a Lagoon 380 or similar sized boat with 3 kids ranging from 6 to 11 or thereabouts. Interested in everything from getting them interested in initial day trips and overnighters (in the Med in our case), opportunities for them to learn and get involved, things they love or don't tend to like, etc, all the way through to living aboard for longer periods of cruising.
Many thanks in advance for any and all insights!
I wouldn't worry about the kids, odds are good they'll love it. I'd first consider jacking up the solar array so you can run things like lap tops and washer/dryer combos (your wife will appreciate that) Maybe even simplify the galley with induction cooking as the Med looks to be pretty hot and arid. A/C might not be needed as fans work well in non humid, hot areas but make sure you have decent internet or you may get a mutiny on your hands. I'd try to find some buddy boating situations with similar sized families so the kids can have friends. Last but not least, five people are going to need a lot of water so you may need to consider a water maker if you end up doing a lot of overnight passages and I doubt a Lagoon 38 has much water storage.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 14:28   #10

Thanks very much for all the invaluable insights!
Old 06-05-2020, 15:34   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Our son was 13 when we started; he turned 14 and now 15 on the boat.

He has done well and handles a Leopard 42’ competently. He does night shifts on overnight passages and prefers the 0300 to 0700 shift as he likes the sunrise.

The downside for him, with no siblings on board, is a lack of interaction with kids his own age. Found some in Georgetown, Bahamas and some in Grenada but other than that there was quite a dry spell. We ran into some buddy boats that had kids but they were all younger and while nice, not quite what he was looking for.

All in all, a positive experience but wow did he miss the companionship of kids his own age.
Old 06-05-2020, 15:44   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

I grew up, along with my brother, on a 40-foot trimaran. That was a long time ago so is distant in memory. But, the one thing I can say, which echoes Bacchus, is get the kids involved in actually running the boat. If they're not involved in running the boat then then boat is just like a car - a long ride to get somewhere, with all the restlessness and boredom that stereotypically goes along with that. There's lots of things that kids can do on the boat, and not just boating, there's cooking, and fishing, (and all the cleaning and maintenance tasks). If they are involved in day-to-day life/operations then you've taken a big step to alleviating the boredom.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 15:45   #13

Boat: Riva 48
Lagoon 380 with 3 young kids

I have done passages with two kids, 9 & 12 now. It is true that kids get bored quickly. Any water activities (dinghy, paddle board, jumping from the boat, etc. help a lot). One of my kids got interested in the systems (the younger one) and now helps me with boat work. Then you have reading, video games and movies. These days the kids are isolated like the rest of us so boating with three siblings makes a lot of sense. Also, as someone mentioned, the kids this age miss interaction with us, their parents. You can study together which they love. Or tell them stories. At 13-14 and above, you lose them and they are just not as interested.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 23:59   #14

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:41   #15

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26ft

One of my happiest childhood memories was fishing with my father 50+ years ago, for daphnia to feed our two terrapins Pung and Chow.
The action unimportant, but to be close to nature on a sunny day with a special time shared with my Dad remains a high-light to this day. A shared project as a family team, sharing the mishaps and thrills of success.
One to one time is special. Even team efforts can have one to one components. Fishing as a family but individual rods/baits/stations with Dad dropping by to chat and share... Good luck! Building memories that will last a lifetime.
Flamehand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, lagoon, lagoon 380