Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 21:02   #1

Boat: Celestial 48
Kitties to Hawai'i ?

Thinking way ahead, we may be sailing from Baja to Hawai'i around April 2013. Plan to spend just a few weeks in islands, and then sail on towards Vancouver.

I am aware of the rules on bringing pets to the island, and the importance of respecting Hawai'i's rabies free status. But given the high cost and hassle involved in getting four cats through the process, I have to wonder:
  • If you are keeping your pets strictly on board, are you really required to put them through quarantine (even if the reduced time quarantine)?
  • Even if it is still required, is this something that is ever checked on? Someone would come to your boat and check to see if you have animals on board?
  • What is experience of someone who has gone through the process, or has avoided the process?
Please note that all four of our cats are regularly vacinated and have been micro chipped, and have regular vet visits. We are certain that they do not have rabies. Following the import requirements (which seem written for moving your pets on-shore) would cost well over $1,000 as far as I can see. This is money that could be much better spent.

Appreciate your advice.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 11:51   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Kitties to Hawai'i ?

Aloha Dennis
There have been cruisers through the islands who have kept their cats aboard and have not had to go through the quarantine process. Check with the local authorities though before trying this method. I'd not want you to get into a costly situation. 808-329-1190 (visitors information). If that number doesn't get you the right person then ask if they can refer you. Sometimes lower level state workers in Hawaii make up answers so follow up until you get the right person who can quote the regulation.
kind regards,
Old 19-09-2011, 21:38   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Why would you ever subject them to that?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:21   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia

We've sailed to Hawaii twice (12/09 and 10/11) with our cat and he has not spent a single hour in quarantine. Hawaii has a program called '5-day-or-less' in which you basically prove that the animal a) does not have rabies and b) cannot transmit rabies.

See:
Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-ch...2013%2011b.pdf

(I assume Dennis knows about this, since he said he's familiar with the process, I just include this for the information others)

If you don't want to go through all the hoops for the '5 day or less' program you pet is going to go into quarantine for the duration of your stay.

See:
Animal Quarantine Frequently Asked Questions — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

You could chose to take your animals to the islands without notifying the authorities, but you'd be breaking the law. We had friends who were sailing from MX to Kiribati call the authorities about stopping in HI on the way. The authorities told them the requirements and told them that they had recorded the name of the boat and owner and that if the boat was found in the islands with an undeclared animal on board they would be charged with all applicable crimes.

I have one piece of advice for you if you chose to go the 'legal' route, enter HI at Hilo (Radio Bay). The Customs officers there are super nice, in fact everyone in Hilo is more laid back then Honolulu. Things will go much smoother for you.

I feel for you Denis, I'm having to re-do the requirements for the 5-day-or-less program because we're returning to HI next winter and our current FAVN test will be out of date. I expect it to cost about $600 total by the time I'm done (including the fees to HI). Doing this for 4 cats would be a _lot_ of money!
Old 20-09-2011, 07:29   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

per noonsite, if you take your pet to vet and have a vet certificate within 90 days of arrival, that pet should be ok. if it has changed, should be on noonsite.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:49   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
per noonsite, if you take your pet to vet and have a vet certificate within 90 days of arrival, that pet should be ok. if it has changed, should be on noonsite.
I just looked at noonsite and the page for pets in Hawaii doesn't say anything about a 'vet certificate within 90 days'.

Here's the link I looked at:
Noonsite: Hawaii

Where did you read what you are quoting?
Old 20-09-2011, 13:56   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when iwas researching the sites to find out about taking my cat to places i would need to have a vet certificate in order to take cat to visit, that one came up0 as within 90 days of arrival .... if no longer thyere must have changed regulations. is not somewhere i will take my cat. i respect my cat too much.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii