Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2020, 17:34   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS
Kids with IEP’s

Has anyone sailed with children that have an IEP ?

If so what changes did you make to their education or how did you accommodate their individual needs ?
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 02:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Kids with IEP’s

According to the Ontario Ministry of Education, an Individual Education Program (IEP) is “a written plan describing the special education program and/or services required by a particular student, based on a thorough assessment of the student’s strengths and needs.”

This Resource Guide is intended to help teachers and others working with students with special needs to develop, implement, and monitor high-quality IEPs. A five-step process is recommended. Suggestions and examples are provided, but IEPs, by their very nature, will be individualized on the basis of the particular requirements of the student.
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general...iepresguid.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 20:26   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to the Ontario Ministry of Education, an Individual Education Program (IEP) is “a written plan describing the special education program and/or services required by a particular student, based on a thorough assessment of the student’s strengths and needs.”

This Resource Guide is intended to help teachers and others working with students with special needs to develop, implement, and monitor high-quality IEPs. A five-step process is recommended. Suggestions and examples are provided, but IEPs, by their very nature, will be individualized on the basis of the particular requirements of the student.
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general...iepresguid.pdf

Thanks for the reply but I already knew what an IEP was. I have 2 children with them. What I was wanting to know was if people had experience of them when Cruising and home schooling with kids.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 23:05   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post
Thanks for the reply but I already knew what an IEP was. I have 2 children with them. What I was wanting to know was if people had experience of them when Cruising and home schooling with kids.

You might have known, but I bet the vast majority of us didn’t know until GordMay helped out.

He was trying to help you by removing a meaningless acronym from the puzzle.
Old 22-09-2020, 00:10   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I’d never heard IEP in my life. Gords post was extremely helpful.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 02:28   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Has anyone sailed with children that have an IEP ?

If so what changes did you make to their education or how did you accommodate their individual needs ?

I am assuming that you’re planning to use correspondence or homeschool resources to continue your kids’ schooling while cruising with your family? If so, take a close look at and identify the changes/additions/deletions in each kid’s IEP relative to their regular schooling (you could also ask the person(s) who created each IEP). Then apply those same changes as applicable to their onboard schooling.

Cruising in and of itself will likely provide some and possibly most of the changes (e.g. fewer distractions, fewer students, individualised attention). You may also need to modify the materials, lessons, etc. that you plan on using for each kid. But because your teaching will be one-on-one there may be less changes needed than you think.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 02:48   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I am assuming that you’re planning to use correspondence or homeschool resources to continue your kids’ schooling while cruising with your family? If so, take a close look at and identify the changes/additions/deletions in each kid’s IEP relative to their regular schooling (you could also ask the person(s) who created each IEP). Then apply those same changes as applicable to their onboard schooling.

Cruising in and of itself will likely provide some and possibly most of the changes (e.g. fewer distractions, fewer students, individualised attention). You may also need to modify the materials, lessons, etc. that you plan on using for each kid. But because your teaching will be one-on-one there may be less changes needed than you think.

Good advice but remember the IEP may also work in the other direction and require differentiated instruction upwards. If this were a precocious and gifted teen, for instance, it may be very difficult for home schooling to provide the level of challenge required, particularly in subject areas where mum and dad are less comfortable.

A bit more about the specific plans from the OP would help.

I am curious because I had planned to support myself when cruising using my teaching skills. Some conversations with cruising parents have led me to believe there is a real challenge when trying to home-school gifted children.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:56   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

IEPs are so student-dependent it would be impossible to say what changes might be necessary in general. Some IEPs call for all instructions to be read aloud to the student. Others might require sessions no longer than 10 minutes at a time. Others provide extra time - as much as needed- to complete tasks. Many call for avoiding noises or distractions. This could be difficult to achieve in boisterous conditions under way. Essentially, it all depends upon wha the IEP calls for.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids