Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 09:59   #1

International cruising with African Grey Parrot?

So my boyfriend and I have been planning out and saving up to make the big switch over to living/cruising on a sailing vessel (still have yet to sell the house and purchase the ship). Since we cannot have children, we have an assortment of fur/feather/scale children which are very important parts of our lives. I have done significant research and have only found information on cruising with dogs and cats, with little info on how to secure a CITES permit for my beloved 12 year old African grey parrot Chico. The CITES website only provides info for import/exporters and traveling shows. Has anyone had success with cruising internationally or even just in the Caribbean with CITES listed birds or reptiles? I have no problems paying for extra vet visits or permitting if necessary.
MegsandYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:48   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: International cruising with African Grey Parrot?

Welcome to the forum Megs and Yuki.

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from joining and posting in the forum. And as to your specific question, I've no idea. But!

It certainly hasn't stopped French sailor Guirec Soudé sail to all sorts of amazing places, even including a solo North West Passage (OK the officials didn't count the chicken as crew). His was the 252nd such sailing and only the 5th to sail that voyage solo. An amazing achievement. Here are the official stats.

But for a taste of this amazing sailor and his laying hen Monique below is a news feature posted to youtube: Sailing the High Seas with a Pet Chicken . (And yes I know, Drakes Paragon sailed the Boston, Greenland, Iceland route with a Monique too, but she isn't a chicken).

But having animals on board will add a degree of difficulty and expense that yachts without pets do not have. Again welcome to CF, post your thoughts, questions and ideas here. The forum only works when people post. Don't be a lurker. So how about posting a few pics of your mini menagerie.

Old 12-04-2022, 13:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegsandYuki View Post
So my boyfriend and I have been planning out and saving up to make the big switch over to living/cruising on a sailing vessel (still have yet to sell the house and purchase the ship). Since we cannot have children, we have an assortment of fur/feather/scale children which are very important parts of our lives. I have done significant research and have only found information on cruising with dogs and cats, with little info on how to secure a CITES permit for my beloved 12 year old African grey parrot Chico. The CITES website only provides info for import/exporters and traveling shows. Has anyone had success with cruising internationally or even just in the Caribbean with CITES listed birds or reptiles? I have no problems paying for extra vet visits or permitting if necessary.
Go check out capt rick on sailing sophisticated lady, hes on his second african grey, been cruising with parrots for a decade or 2.

https://youtu.be/xpgVL0hisCk
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 23:28   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

If you travel internationally with a CITES species , expect a world of pain , each country will have different , explicit rules, quarantine requirements ( uk is 16 days ) , exemptions and vet testing procedures.

You’ll rapidly end up demented or skip procedures and risk discovery

Best advice , don’t do it.
Old 13-04-2022, 03:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Megs & Yuki.
I can imagine, that you'll face many challenges, cruising internationally, with Chico.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cites, Parrot, permit