Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 12:05   #61

Re: Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ?

The boatbuilder I worked for 5 years ago bought them. Unfortunately they closed up and I'm not sure . Might just ask a good lumberyard about availability. Might have to order with the formica color you want? Might be a little heavy in the real formica version. there is another product that almost looks painted... i have some rems in the garage... but more like really thin laminate... ask the yard I suppose. It was just a thought.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 16:16   #62

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Well I thank you for that thought!!!
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06   #63

I covered all the ports in our boat with 'solar shield' film used to darken windows on cars. Helps keep the sun from heating up the inside of the boat and fading everything.
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38   #64

Capt j. I was looking into that for the ports one question I do have is..does that block view from outside at night when lights are on in cabin? Or is it still necesary to use curtains?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56   #65

You can get the film in various shades of darkness. I used a medium dark one and you can still see inside at night when the cabin lights are on but it is a dim view. LOL!

Maybe a darker film would block out all views. Or there is also a film with a mirror like side that faces out that prevents anyone from seeing in (a la 'rock star' car windows). I didn't like the mirror type as I thought it might create a glare outside the boat.

Check them out at any auto parts store and see what you like.

CJ
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00   #66

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Auto stores for window stuff are a little expensive!! Lowes and Home Depot both carry lots of different shades and types of the window darkening materials ! we used the Mirrored stuff on the ports on our Colvin, worked wonderfuly never had a reflection problem but you can see thru at night if lights are on, so in port shades are needed if you like to be private LOL Sure makes difference in a hot ancorage !! will sure use it on our next boat if needed or not there already ! just our 2 cents
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12   #67

I would love to have had a Lowe's or Home Depot, but did it in St. Maarten. I miss my stores! Would kill for a Walmart! LOL!

I hear they have Walmart in PR and I plan to stop there on the way home for some more stuff for the boat.

We just had it completely overhauled--painted, teak all re-done and bad places replaced, engine work, electronics, etc. Now I have the job of taking care of the aesthics.

Oh, well, they do have an Ace Hardware here!

And of course McDonald;s because I swear there is a McDonald's at the end of the world.

Thanks for reply. Glad someone else finds the film useful, I got a funny look when I told people I was going to use it on a boat. OH, of course, put it on the inside of the windows. LOL

CJ
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31   #68

Well like a rock star I love my privacy!!! My huby he don't care but....lol. I read somewhere that the mirrored ones that give reflection should be considered an aide because it allows other boats to see you at anchor. However I thought that's why anchor lights..
You mean I won't get away from McDonalds??? I as thinking that would be a bonus. Lol
Walmart lowes n home depot all have online shopping. Shipping might e an issue though.
I so can't wait to get her finished and leave this land life!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36   #69

Yeah, shipping here is outta sight. I ordered some cellular shades before I left home and they didn't arrive in time for me to bring them. I asked my
sister to pick them and ship them to me here but when she found out how much I said never mind. $600 to ship $300 worth of shades.

This is my first experience living aboard for longer than a few weeks. Was a bit of getting used to at first and some days I long for land, but mostly enjoy our life afloat.

Best wishes in your plans.

CJ
Old 01-04-2012, 11:45   #70

Thanks.. I doubt I will miss life on land. My kids will be another story our ambilicol[sorry don't know how thas spelled] won't be long enough. My life on land 200% reloves around them. All grown but...still my babys. .
Be safe
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15   #71

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

This is one of my portlights below and I am very pleased. We get a breeze around the suncatchers and they offer a degree of privacy that I find unrivaled. And when it's hot it will keep out direct sun so the cabin is cooler.

janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:21   #72

Sweet idea Janice. Hmm I even have a few favorites from home. I am designing a stained glass cover for sliding companion way cover. Covering it with plexiglass both sides. But never even thought of such for ports. Hmmmm.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:06   #73

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Sandpiper is from Hallmark ulpilot45, and it (along with two others -- thrift store find included) are plastic/no glass. I've seen a yacht with a lighthouse stained glass window that was extraordinary... on my list of wishes, is a 12" square with a dark mottled blue background and a couple of stars and a planet. My galley/dinette has a skylight and in the summer it produces a greenhouse effect. A space-themed suncatcher would be superb and it's on my list of things to find in a junk store (can't afford retail)

I'd love to see your project as it progresses but maybe you could use plexiglass, etching the black border lines and filling with paint, instead of sandwiching glass? I will say that I repaint the suncatchers about once per year to freshen the colors and I'm simply using the acrylic paints in the 50cent bottles (now costing a dollar) rather than my oil paints. And no, I don't know how to do stained glass it interests me.

Good luck with your projects.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:14   #74

You can buy vinyl and film with stained-glass patterns and just apply that

What I've done for both house and boat is to use this stuff:
Gallery Glass Craft Brand by Plaid Enterprises

and design my own "stained plaz". It's fairly easy to apply and you get exactly what you want.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:27   #75

Janice. starry night n lighthouse was 2 main ideas I've played with for that project. Once finished I will post.

Tags
interior, paracelle, sailboat