Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 14:45   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
Since we're posting pictures...
Your photo links aren't working, Amfivena - at least, not for me. I'd like to see your little buddies.

TaoJones
Old 23-10-2007, 17:42   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have no idea if the following product comes anywhere close to its claims, but the ad keeps showing up on my homepage, so my hope is that I can somehow "transfer" the cat box mojo to someone else.

CatGenie - The World's Only Self-Flushing, Self Washing Cat Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
Is a typical midsize sailboat big enough for two cats?
Probably, Amfivena, but just to be on the safe side, get a catboat or a catamaran.

And when your sailing days are done, move ashore on some balmy, tropical isle, and open a cathouse.

TaoJones
Old 23-10-2007, 22:34   #18

Boat: Irwin sloop
Twenty some years ago I inherited a young tomcat. He was litterbox trained and was definitly an indoor cat.The litterbox was an unpleasant way of dealing with what happens. I was living aboard at the time and the close confines dictated a change in atmosphere and one of my longtime livaboard neighbors offered her help. After selecting the best spot for overboard discharge the litterbox was moved toward the place on the cockpit gunwale oposite the dock. The move was made in 6" increments to keep the cat from being confused by the process. It took a few weeks to arrive at the chosen spot and by that time I had made a secure wooden frame to set it in just outside the gunwale. The next few steps were completed over a two week period to avoid ruining our great progress. Next we removed 2" from the bottom of the litterbox furthest from the boat. then another 2", and repeat till the bottom is gone. Then remove the remainder of the litterbox, and disasemble the framework one piece at a time. Moony allways went to the same spot and never had an accident. He continued this habit on the next boat without the slightest problem for 9 more years. Jesse
Jesse Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 03:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jesse exhibits the virtue of a Cato, and the inventiveness of a Newton.

“Patience is the greatest of all virtues.” ~ Cato the Elder

“If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.” ~ Isaac Newton

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 04:48   #20

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
When we headed off to the Caribe we took both our cats. They were 11 and 12 when we left. They were raised as indoor cats and the only time we ever let them out of the house was in our small fenced in back yard under a watchfull eye.

We moved them onboard and left a month later. They adjusted after a bit. They had tons of new hidey holes and smells that kept them busy. Because they were older nad not raised around boats we never let them wander off the boat and only let them walk the decks when we were there. They also we not allowed out while we were underway. fear of losing one overboard. Though Biff on occasion would lay at the door just in the cockpit while underway on nights. Katra just preferred to sleep by the salon window underway.

In caribe we had a hard time finding clumping litter so we tried sand, one cat didn't like it, wood chips, etc, etc. So we would stock up when we found it and just used a cat pan with a strainer to filter the clumps out every day as part of the daily chores.

The cruise would not have been the same without them!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 19:15   #21

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Your photo links aren't working, Amfivena - at least, not for me. I'd like to see your little buddies.

TaoJones
Sorry - between grad school, work and a baby internet time is precious. Plenty of pictures of the whole clan can be found on our website...

http://www.amfivena.com

Cats specifically at...

Cats
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:50   #22
Marine Service Provider

Re: 'Indoor' boat cats

I have a concern about spending 35-40 days sailing across the Pacific alone. I have no concerns about my boat or my ability, but I think the loneliness could be overwhelming. Therefore, I'm considering taking a pet aboard: Not only for the trip, but for my total several year circumnavigation. I have never been a cat fan. This is only because they don't normally come when called, like a dog. Even though I prefer a dog, I don't think that I can get the dog into every country I land in. And, I don't think a dog will be as happy as a cat aboard a sailing vessel. I guess I'm asking for any feedback on 1) What kind of cat is comfortable in a nautical environment? 2) What am I not considering about a cat aboard? 3) Can I enter most countries with a cat? 4) Should I abandon the idea and just bring numerous bottles of scotch? I am open to any suggestions regarding taking pets aboard, although l don't think I could handle a parrot crapping all over my saloon! Bring it on! Let me know what I am thinking of getting myself into! Amen.
Old 06-08-2019, 13:20   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Get a goat?

Or
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 15:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
I have a concern about spending 35-40 days sailing across the Pacific alone. I have no concerns about my boat or my ability, but I think the loneliness could be overwhelming. Therefore, I'm considering taking a pet aboard: Not only for the trip, but for my total several year circumnavigation. I have never been a cat fan. This is only because they don't normally come when called, like a dog. Even though I prefer a dog, I don't think that I can get the dog into every country I land in. And, I don't think a dog will be as happy as a cat aboard a sailing vessel. I guess I'm asking for any feedback on 1) What kind of cat is comfortable in a nautical environment? 2) What am I not considering about a cat aboard? 3) Can I enter most countries with a cat? 4) Should I abandon the idea and just bring numerous bottles of scotch? I am open to any suggestions regarding taking pets aboard, although l don't think I could handle a parrot crapping all over my saloon! Bring it on! Let me know what I am thinking of getting myself into! Amen.
Perhaps a Turkish Van, love water, they will go swimming, very social and good with dogs if you end up getting one. I'm a dog person but cats are far more suited it seems.
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:00   #25

Cat poo is so much easier to handle aboard than dog poo. Cats don't seem to get seasick as easily as dogs, and when they do, they seem to prefer to hide away rather than demand your constant attention because the cat psyche handles anxiety in a manner different from the dog psyche. Our cat goes into his transport bag, curls up and gives us a hairy eyeball if he isn't happy with what's happening aboard. He comes out when he's ready to come out.

But the big number is the poo. Our cat has an enclosed litter box that lives under the saloon table. The litter and its admixture is not spread all over the saloon when we roll. It stays in the box. We use the deodorizing, "clumping" kind of litter because that facilitates the daily scoop. "Spent" litter, amounting to maybe a cupful a day, goes over the side. A 7Kg box (9" x 9" x 8") lasts a month.

I used to be a dog-man. In a BIG way. My last dog was a 220 lb Old English Mastiff. A bit much in a 30-footer. But this little cat has totally got under my skin :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:00   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

After having cats most of our lives, we finally discovered a cat litter that is hands down the best. It's 100% ground corn, and has absolutely no smell.
People come aboard our boat and wonder where the litter box is and when I show them it's right next to them in the saloon, they are amazed.

https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

We use the clumping one in the green and black bag.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 08:49   #27

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

I didn't see anyone mention this, but male cats wander, female cats nest. If you want to make sure your cat won't go wandering all over the marina, get a female. They tend to pick a territory and stay in it. Keep her inside for a few weeks before letting her explore the upper deck, and she'll likely never get off the boat again.

Or if the wandering isn't a problem for you, then make sure you get your cat a 'boat cat' tag so people know he's not a stray. It's a good idea even for all cats really, just much more important for the males.

Also, those fake grass mats they make for dogs to poo on deck, work great for cats too. No litter, just hose it off. if it starts to stink a lot, sprinkle some baking soda across it.
Don't use the anti-pee smell sprays. A lot of them contain scents that are meant to make the cat stop peeing in that spot, which is the opposite of the goal.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 08:52   #28

I lived onboard for eleven months with a cat who had been an indoor/outdoor cat. I would leave the AC on, but also leave a hatch cracked so he could come and go on the boat. I didn't think he would ever try and jump for the dock.

Until one morning, my harbormaster came by and told me he had fished him out the night before, with a dip net, about a hundred yards from my boat, and treading water, before drying him off and putting him back on my boat!
Old 28-09-2019, 09:23   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

web.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
bubba daboatkat set this group up a few years ago when other cats were grousing about their owners mayhems and quirks on boats.. might like the info that is shared. he figgered once he got 10,000 sailing miles under his tail he could share some knowledge with other catties on boats. check it out.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:36   #30

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

[QUOTE=StuM;2947778]Get a goat?

Stu, Joshua Slocum had a goat... for a while ...