Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:37   #76

I'm a smoker AND a dog owner, so at restaurants I'm always outside, and try to get the leeward table. If I'm smoking and a nearby table of non-smokers has their meals arrive, I put the cigarette out.
You'll NEVER find one of my butts or my dog's poo on the ground.
Courtesy and manners are easy to master, but must be TAUGHT. Taught to children, adults, and dogs too. Manners are about respect, about granting importance to the other person.
And people with no manners are often mystified by the fact that people treat them badly, or avoid them.
I often hear someone complain about how badly they were treated at some government department, or at a bank, or wherever, and i suspect that most of the time it's because they were less than charming.
As I've explained to my daughter, with manners, courtesy, and a sprinkle of charm, you can get anyone to do pretty much anything for you; bend some bureaucratic rule, lend you something, bump you up to first class, move you to a better marina berth, etc...
My daughter loves me, my dog loves me. The love I get from them is different, but it's love nonetheless.
Here's Lulu, the rescued Kelpie, darling of the marina:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-396974344.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	47565

Name:	image-2216396223.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	47566

We "spoon" each morning.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 17:39   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

Well there's probably a reason I'm divorced but it has been said that if you lock your wife and your dog in the truck of your car, wait an hour and open it...Guess which one is glad to see you...I'm just sayin.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 17:58   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well there's probably a reason I'm divorced but it has been said that if you lock your wife and your dog in the truck of your car, wait an hour and open it...Guess which one is glad to see you...I'm just sayin.

you locked your wife in the car? ............... no wonder
Old 08-10-2012, 18:26   #79

Tolerance and respect - not as abundant as they once were.

HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:56   #80
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I say we cover all marinas because the birds sh*t on the boats too,"
See, that's why the economy is in the toilet. Birds gotta potty, leaving it on the roof still leaves wasted fretilizer turning to a dust hazard in the sun, and now there's a problem with hurricane debris from a roof that needs annual maintenance as well.

The real solution here is to hire lots of manual labor to go around with little brushes and sponges cleaning the boats. You make that into a positive sales marketing tool, "This marina has personal boat cleaning services ten hours a day, five days a week!" and someone is going to be damned glad to have that job. Then someone else gets to buy the bird poo and sell it as valuable guano fertilizer, and some gardener gets happy because guano has been so damned expensive but now they can buy organic fertilizer locally made and sold. Lots of happy people, jobs, and good economic stimulus!

Dog poo? Yeah, there are ways to deal with that too. Not to mention, the presence of dogs and the better crowd of humans they bring with them. Read up and you'll find that for many people, simply having a dog to pet drops their blood pressure ten points. Or conversely, the type-A-young-turks with no time for dogs might just be a health risk on their own.

When I was a kid, dogs shat in the streets. Not on the sidewalk, that's why we CURB YOUR DOG and have it go on the other side of the curb, in the street. And when you walk in the street, sometimes you walk in poo, that's why you stay on the sidewalk if you want to keep your shoes clean.

Dog park dirty? Yeah, sometimes the toilet and shower are dirty too.

Anyone ever read the original "What Color is Your Parachute?" book on looking for a job? Sage advice in there, they say when you're going for a job interview, check out the bathroom. If the bathroom isn't being kept clean, management doesn't give a damn about the workers, take a hike and find a better place to work.

And over the years, yes, I have found that to be very true. Dog park not clean? Management isn't taking care of business. Go elsewhere. Or run the manager's nose in it, and tell him "BAD BOY!" until he cleans it up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 22:21   #81

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
There are dog people and not dog people. If you're not a dog person I can't explain it. Dogs are a great gift from God to humans. My wife loves the boat, but has absolutely no interest in spending the day with me while I work on the wiring or clean the bilge. Peanut on the other hand lives to be with me, no matter what I'm doing. Her greatest happiness is simply to be with us. This sounds absolutely absurd I know, but I wish I could be as devoted a Christian as my dog is devoted to me.

Name:	IMAG0546.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	47868
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50   #82

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Thumbs Way Up!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26   #83
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
There are dog people and not dog people. If you're not a dog person I can't explain it. Dogs are a great gift from God to humans. My wife loves the boat, but has absolutely no interest in spending the day with me while I work on the wiring or clean the bilge. Peanut on the other hand lives to be with me, no matter what I'm doing. Her greatest happiness is simply to be with us. This sounds absolutely absurd I know, but I wish I could be as devoted a Christian as my dog is devoted to me.

Attachment 47868

I can understand being a "not dog" person. I like dogs, but I dislike having to get up early every morning to walk that dog. So, I have cats. It is actually a compromise.

But I've been in a number of marinas and only recall one problem with one dog, and that was solved by the club enforcing it "dogs must be on leashes." Then the guy knew when his dog had pooped and had no problem cleaning it up. I've never been bothered by barking dogs in a marina, for instance.

I wouldn't want to keep my neighbors from having dogs if I lived on land either. Live and let live.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40   #84

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Funny,

I feel the same about some children. I take my dog into a restaurant and he curls up under the table and makes not a sound. Meanwhile the heard of lill darlings are screaming, throwing food, and making a mess of things.

Of course where I CAN bring my dog it is outside seating which is good because I am better able to escape the screaming brats raising a ruckus inside.

ObTW, he will seek out the most remote location to go in. If nothing acceptable can be found I always carry a bag, and put it in the trash.

Wonder if the smokers might learn the same thing some day....

The dogs are NOT the problem.
It should be illegal to take dogs into a restaraunt -in some countries it is...it staggers me that in Europe people take their dogs to Hotels etc...they are not humans and it should be recognised that taking them to some places is just not acceptable... btw all restaraunts should be no smoking zones as well...again is in some countries...
btw ..I am a dog owner....
1paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30   #85

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I love to see people walking their dogs. Dogs make me feel good watching them play. I would have no issue seeing a well manored dog in a restraunt. Seeing eye dogs are allowed and those are large dogs. A Maltese in a handbag as long as it was not sniffing the saladbar would be just fine.

Just purchased a second Maltese. Fun dogs to live with.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:58   #86

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Y'all need to read "The Art of Racing in the Rain".
Old 11-10-2012, 06:00   #87

Boat: Franz Maas 37

I think, if you want to live in a water borne trailer park, you have to cope with trailer park conditions. Noise, drunks, screaming kids, barking crapping dogs and all the rest of it.

Personally, I went sailing to get away from all of that. I like to sit bobbing at anchor, nose into the wind, starting and ending the day with a ride in the dinghy and spending time with like minded souls.

No matter how much it costs, no matter where it is, it's a trailer park and if you choose to live there, ya hafta put up with being 5' from your neighbour's toilet, and the sort of people who live in a trailer park.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37   #88
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1paulg View Post
It should be illegal to take dogs into a restaraunt -in some countries it is...it staggers me that in Europe people take their dogs to Hotels etc...they are not humans and it should be recognised that taking them to some places is just not acceptable... btw all restaraunts should be no smoking zones as well...again is in some countries...
btw ..I am a dog owner....
So... Your dog lives outside and never enters the kitchen, dining room or bedroom?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I have found that in marinas that have dedicated pooch poo areas....the stench on a hot day is awful.

Don't get me wrong...I love dogs....my favorite one is an old Blond Lab "yard dog" that shows up every time I pull into a particular yard....waiting for his milk-bone-----which I carry in my truck as bribery----for boat-dog owning owners.

And please.....use a short leash....not one of those retracto-leashes......
Folks that don't pick up their dogs crap irritate the hell out of me. They give the rest of us, considerate dog owners, a black eye. This post is a perfect example..

The problem isn't folks with dogs that crap. It's ******** with dogs that crap. Too bad they can't been picked out from a crowd... If you see someone who's dog takes a crap and they walk away. Get a bag, pick it up, take it to the owner and tell them they forgot something as you hand it to them. 2nd time deposit it in their cockpit while they are away!

Also long leases aren't the problem. I use a 16 foot retract that gets, via a thumb button, held to 3' whenever someone gets close and who doesn't need or want my dog sniffing their leg... Again it's all about the owners being respectful of others... A concept that's getting way to little use these days...

Please try not to paint us all with the same brush....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48   #90
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I think, if you want to live in a water borne trailer park, you have to cope with trailer park conditions. Noise, drunks, screaming kids, barking crapping dogs and all the rest of it.

Personally, I went sailing to get away from all of that. I like to sit bobbing at anchor, nose into the wind, starting and ending the day with a ride in the dinghy and spending time with like minded souls.

No matter how much it costs, no matter where it is, it's a trailer park and if you choose to live there, ya hafta put up with being 5' from your neighbour's toilet, and the sort of people who live in a trailer park.
Lordee, remind me to never. live in an Aussie live-aboard marina!

Noise? Drunks? Screaming kids? Barking crapping dogs -- and apparently -- MORE?

Don't you guys have ANY sense of civility????

I've been living in this marina for two years, am shortly moving to another one I've visited for weekends multiple times, have been to others and just haven't seen that. We had one "drunk" here and he was evicted. The dogs are all well behaved and they really -- don't bark!

There are also a lot of extremely well run, attractive trailer parks. I did run into those problems at the condo I bought, and have seen it in single residence communities as well -- but not in a marina.

Stereotypes rot the brain, man!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets