Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 13:17   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: I Don't Know What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Lass! If you have spent about 30 years of your life to build your career, why on earth would you want to risk anything that might harm your hard work? It's one thing, if I see a boat burning/sinking...I'll be the first one at the scene to pluck/rescue everyone on it. If I see someone caught in a rip current...I'll go and get this person; these are noble acts that require no second thoughts. On the other hand, when it comes to personal emotions issues, whack jobs, liability issues due to a complicated emergency surgery...I'll stay out; I have a lot to lose, sorry! Agree or disagree, I hope that we remain friends.

Mauritz
What is right, wrong or fair has nothing to do with each other.
I actually don't get that LOL.
You are prepared to sacrifice your life plucking people out of burning boats or rip currents, but you are not prepared to sacrifice your career?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 13:26   #47

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter radclyffe View Post
beware, if your actions set free the woman he hates he will start hating you
Honestly, the derision of an abusive ass should be a badge of honor, people should be held to account for their actions.

I suggest the next time call the police..

When my wife and I were first married and appartment dwellers the folks in the next unit over got into a real drag out tizzy, thrown dishes and yelling. We called the police and they came and talked to both parties. For the next six months before we moved we did not hear a peep, I think the visit put their argument into perspective and both smartened up.

Another tactic is to take him aside some day and ask him if it is appropriate bahaviour for a man to abuse a lady. He may get the message, he is the one who has the problem, you can save her but he will just move on to another women.

A side note: Another time when a gentleman I was working with called the police on his wife. She had lost her temper with him and had hit him and was chasing him around their apartment with a frying pan. The police showed up and hauled him off to jail. Their policy in domestic dispute calls was always to lock the man up overnight, even if he is the one bleeding from being beat with a pan. Crazy...
Old 14-08-2013, 13:51   #48

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Hiya Lass! If you have spent about 30 years of your life to build your career, why on earth would you want to risk anything that might harm your hard work? It's one thing, if I see a boat burning/sinking...I'll be the first one at the scene to pluck/rescue everyone on it. If I see someone caught in a rip current...I'll go and get this person; these are noble acts that require no second thoughts. On the other hand, when it comes to personal emotions issues, whack jobs, liability issues due to a complicated emergency surgery...I'll stay out; I have a lot to lose, sorry! Agree or disagree, I hope that we remain friends.

Mauritz
Last I checked, there was nothing in the hippocratic oath concerning maintaining financial or career solvency. In my opinion the problem with more than half the doctors in America. They chose a financial path instead of a ethical path. I'm with SeaLass, seems very contradictory!
Old 14-08-2013, 14:00   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
WOW! That is certainly not my attitude and I would hope not the attitude of others if I were ever in trouble on the water. I think fear of litigation is a pathetic reason not to extend help .
most states have "good samaritan" laws that disclude suing someone who tried to render assistance. Even doctors. Not sure this would cover meddling in someone else's business.... you need to know abuse is going on before taking action I would think.... "yelling, screaming, womans walks down dock with bloody nose" would be pretty good evidence to me....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:03   #50

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You would not understand what I said, unless you have built a career based on decades of hard work. It is very easy to judge others if you have very little, if anything, to lose. That proves my point!

Mauritz
Old 14-08-2013, 14:10   #51

Career, life, home whatever.. still if another person needs assistance on sea or in plane ( especially if I am qualified, i.e. doctor to help ) I am helping. Not stopping to check with my financial planner first!
You think your career is worth more than other peoples' careers to them? Arrogant at least! Grow a pair! Really Teknav! Better to watch a person die of heart attack on plane than admit you are doctor when call goes out on loudspeaker? REALLY? Shame!
Old 14-08-2013, 14:14   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
You would not understand what I said, unless you have built a career based on decades of hard work. It is very easy to judge others if you have very little, if anything, to lose. That proves my point!

Mauritz
Sorry, you are making incorrect assumptions.
Yes, I had years of university education (at the most prestigious Australian university, I will throw that in as Aussies do not have any false modesty LOL), including postgraduate study. I had a full time career for several decades and that is the main reason why I am now able to cruise full time .

I still can't understand your statement that in an emergency you would risk your life (that was just being 'noble'), but that you would be unwilling to risk your career.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:18   #53

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and if I am sued for whatever happened during my attempt to resuscitate someone, will you be paying my legal fees in defending myself? It is very easy to pass judgement, when you don't know beans about the legal system in the US. Why do you think surgical doctors in drove are leaving the profession?; the high cost of fraudulent malpractice lawsuits. Wise up!

Mauritz
Old 14-08-2013, 14:20   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Robyn,

You wrote that you were in a marina in St Lucia.

There's a Crisis Center in Castries that might be able to help. From what you described, it seems unlikely that the woman would seek there help, but you may want to call or go in and talk with the staff there about the situation.

St. Lucia Crisis Centre
SAINT LUCIA CRISIS CENTRE
107 CHAUSSEE ROAD, P. O. BOX CP5570, CASTRIES, SAINT LUCIA
TELEPHONE: 758-453-1521/758-712-7574
EMAIL: stluciacrisis@gmail.com

I have no first-hand knowledge of this organization. Hope they can help out.
Old 14-08-2013, 14:26   #55

Quote:
...and if I am sued for whatever happened during my attempt to resuscitate someone, will you be paying my legal fees in defending myself? It is very easy to pass judgement, when you don't know beans about the legal system in the US. Why do you think surgical doctors in drove are leaving the profession?; the high cost of fraudulent malpractice lawsuits. Wise up!

Mauritz
Nobody forced you to chose such a career! Again you make assumptions about other's knowledge. I may be a circuit judge for all you know. Or a doctor. Or a noble education career such as SeaLass.
All your defenses revolve around money! SAD! Very SAD! Glad I am not sailing in your parts.
I'm out. Silly to try to talk sense to people with heads buried up their ... ( No matter what their profession )
Old 14-08-2013, 14:58   #56

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

SmartMove:

Yes, you do know what to do - and you've taken step #1 here on CF.

Please listen to what Seaworthy Lass and terminalcitygrl are saying.

An ugly part of life has interrupted your cruise, and how you respond reflects upon what kind of man you really are. The moral decision is yours to make.

Yeah - I know... Easy advice when given from afar. But this isn't some hypothetical rip tide nor heart attack on an aeroplane. This is real. Please listen to what the women are saying here on CF. Those programs for abused and/or battered women didn't evolve because all men are really nice guys.

If this post causes or caused offense to others - well, sorry about that.

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:02   #57

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Robyn,

You wrote that you were in a marina in St Lucia.

There's a Crisis Center in Castries that might be able to help. From what you described, it seems unlikely that the woman would seek there help, but you may want to call or go in and talk with the staff there about the situation.

St. Lucia Crisis Centre
SAINT LUCIA CRISIS CENTRE
107 CHAUSSEE ROAD, P. O. BOX CP5570, CASTRIES, SAINT LUCIA
TELEPHONE: 758-453-1521/758-712-7574
EMAIL: stluciacrisis@gmail.com

I have no first-hand knowledge of this organization. Hope they can help out.
Thank you for that info. I will talk to them tomorrow.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:10   #58

For everyone else who have posted here I thank you for your advise. As some have said it might be nothing, but if it is something and I just turned my back and something really bad happened I couldn't live with that. It is not my intention to but into her business or bring more trouble to her, or myself for that matter. I posted info today for her to read if she wishes, I have offered my friendship, now it's up to her. If something escalates I will call the police though.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 14-08-2013, 15:11   #59

To Terminalcitygirl and SWL thanks for the support and advise.

Robyn
Old 14-08-2013, 15:15   #60

Quote:

Mauritz
Hi Teknav,

I had a career that I have now retired from, what career do I have to lose?

What a sad view you have. What if you where the one on the plane who needed assistance, but the guy that could have saved your life wouldn't step up?

Robyn