Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 14:23   #1

Homeschool

I will be sailing around, and I would like to know what is the best and cheapest way to homeschool my kids? One is on a primary grade and the other is on a high school grade. Thank you for any advice!
Helio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:32   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Homeschool

What jurisdiction curriculum are you wanting to follow?

Why should it cost any money?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:39   #3

The boy is 6th grade and the girl is 10th grade.
What kind of curriculums could we choose? They love marin biology.
We are experienced sailors, but new to homeschool.
Helio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 14:51   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I mean what diploma, testing regime for uni entrance.

Examples include Commonwealth "A levels" vs International Baccalaureate

Or any particular state if you're USian, which jurisdiction will you be answering to?

Or none, in which case with greater freedom comes great responsibilities.

Making it up as you go along might not give the best results, if their academic future is important to you.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 22:39   #5

Re: Homeschool qld Australia

Hi guys.
I am looking for info on boat schooling my 13 and 15 year olds as we sail from Europe back to Australia.
We reside in qld and would ideally like to carry on the qld curriculum.
We have spoke with qld distance education and they said it would not be possible as it’s 100% internet based.

Is there anyone who can please help us or advise us on what to do we are finding this part of the planning extremely difficult.

Thanks in advance

John.
John marven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 22:41   #6

Sorry. The above was meant to be a new thread.
John marven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 21:32   #7

Boat: Crowther 46

Are you still exploring this? We live aboard and school three kids for five years.
Gavin French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 04:58   #8

We are pursuing this option. We plan to sail full time and homeschool at age 6. Any resources and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel a little overwhelmed by the number of resources and don't really know which direction to go. We are in Florida and at 6yrs old he'd (obviously) be in primary education.
Thanks all!!
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 22:46   #9

Hi, my wife and I left land life and moved aboard four years ago with our three children. They are now ages 12, 10, 8. We home schooled them from the beginning. You can contact me directly for discussion if you like. frenchgavin@hotmail.com. We are from Canada originally. We started with Calvert many years ago. But we moved to a more Waldorf/Steiner curriculum after a few years and LOVE it. Oak Meadow. American based, American accredited. Worldwide shippibg. Wonderful. Paper based not internet or screens, though you can't beat Google for research. The biggest challenge will be your evolution as a parent and teacher, not the curriculum or resources.
Old 29-03-2020, 22:49   #10

Hi, my wife and I left land life and moved aboard four years ago with our three children. They are now ages 12, 10, 8. We home schooled them from the beginning. You can contact me directly for discussion if you like. frenchgavin@hotmail.com. We are from Canada originally. We started with Calvert many years ago. But we moved to a more Waldorf/Steiner curriculum after a few years and LOVE it. Oak Meadow. American based, American accredited. Worldwide shippibg. Wonderful. Paper based not internet or screens, though you can't beat Google for research. The biggest challenge will be your evolution as a parent and teacher, not the curriculum or resources.
Gavin French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 08:43   #11

Boat: S2 9.2C

We homeschool our second grader with special needs. We teach what he's interested in, and create our own curriculum based on those interests. He reads books, researches subjects of interest (mainly science) on the internet, writes his own stories on the computer (he prefers to type), practices handwriting and grade level math on paper, and does a ton of crafting and art. We play a lot of games which usually include math, reading, etc, and really enjoy making up our own games (diy card games using index cards, diy board games made with cardboard and paint, charades in which you have to read the cue card, etc). It's a combination of child lead learning and "gameschooling" which works very well for him. We live in Virginia, and are required to submit a curriculum and then have a year end assessment done by a licenced teacher. When we started homeschooling 2 years ago, he was behind in every subject. He's now reading a grade level above his current grade, has caught up in math, has improved his handwriting, knows how to type, and has discovered that he loves science.
How you go about homeschooling your kids will greatly depend upon your state's requirements. If you really want a product to school your kids rather than doing it yourself, look into k12, which is a free internet based school that is run by each state's public school board. It's not for us, but might work for you. I personally believe that there's no point in paying for something if you can provide a quality program tailored to each child's limitations, strengths, and interests, which tends to invigorate a love of learning and curiosity. It takes a little creativity and a lot of time, but it's worth it.
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 12:39   #12

Hi ! We have 3 ans 5 years old , we live in east boca and looking at the west palm beach sailing club for their 4 weeks sailing classes , any of you around (or not ) have advises ? Or we could swap home/boat too ? still at the beginning but would love to meet or know some of you, anywhere you are . We are in Florida but I am french and my hubby is a kiwi so we are hybrids ��
julia2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 11:41   #13

Good afternoon! Honestly, I did not understand how are your profession and your kids' education connected to each other? Or do you sail all together and you want them to study while sailing? I am sorry, I did not catch that at all. I also have two kids, but one is 3, and the other is 17 and he is already in college. If you are looking for any online courses - I can recommend such platforms as Coursera. There are a lot of courses and even full degree programs - the same as at university, but you have to pass it online. My younger daughter is in one of the most fantastic preschools in Brooklyn. I suppose it won't help you but it can help parents with little kids. Here is their website http://littlescholarsnyc.com. They have a fantastic education program and prepare kids for school.
Kir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 16:39   #14
Cruiser

Boat: Island Packet 35

We homeschooled 3 kids and spent almost nothing! I got lots of books from the library and just a few online. I had a curriculum outline from our local school district to make sure I didn't leave anything out. For reading my mom gave us The McGuffey Readers (primer through grade 6) that she got at a yard sale for 5 bucks! Those books were incredible! I taught my kids to read with those wonderful books. They date back to the early 1900s where you graduated from "highschool" by grade 6.
All three children have good jobs now, have good social lives, and are happy, so we must have done ok! Two out of the three are sailors!
Merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school