Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 09:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MkII - Flandria
Home Schooling

In these days of Social Distancing, I have a question I will pose on behalf of my kids who have school age children.

What Home Schooling Curriculum is available to cruising families (that obviously would be accessible by landlubbers) - Cost, Levels, Accreditation, Completion certificate(s) etc...

My special interest is for kids living in Canada. I have in the past read about courses administered by someone/an institution in Victoria, BC, but that may be incorrect. If there is an existing thread, point me to it, please.

Given that schools remain closed, this may be of value to many. In Ontario it seems that the online teaching effort is not well thought out (yet).

I look forward to input!

Many thanks.
flandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:54   #2

Re: Home Schooling

Hello, we're just beginning a curriculum for two teenagers and hopefully about to begin cruising ourselves. We followed one of the youtuber's we watch, met with someone from Switched On Schoolhouse and so far so good.

Customer service was great, cost is reasonable, its downloadable so no internet needed.

Here is a good resource to start: https://sailingzatara.com/homeschool
vdavena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 04:48   #3

Boat: S2 9.2C
Re: Home Schooling

We use Blossom and Root alongside Wild Math. I believe they have curriculums that go up to 4th grade this year, with more to follow each year. We love both of these. Nature based, literature based,
excellent STEM content , no internet required, affordable, a ton of fun, challenging, flexible, and engaging. Our 3rd grader with special needs loves it and so do we.
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school