Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2022, 11:50   #31

Boat: TJ34, previously owned: Willard 30, Willard 40
Re: Hiring a Captain? Voyage with Family...Ideas on Getting Started

Assuming you have taken a sailing course , up to #103, you will know the basics but lack experience. Hiring a captain is expensive. However there are a lot of very experienced sailors/cruisers around who are retired and would probably be delighted to accompany you for a few weeks while you get your sea legs. Look around for someone you feel comfortable with because interpersonal relations on a small boat are extremely important. You will be the captain and he/she will be your consultant.

There are many retired "old salts" who would do this with you. But the key is finding someone with bi-directional compatibility. Maybe join a sailing club in your area and meet this type of person.

The level of experience you need depends very ,much on the local waters you will be getting started in. For example, if you are in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, the waters are sheltered and you mainly need to learn how to anchor in deep water and predict tides. If you are getting started in the Bay of Biscay off Portugal, that is a whole different situation where you need to learn heavy weather techniques and methods of suicide for when you are seasick.

Keep in mind that the more complex your boat , the more you have to know to maintain the systems. Try not to buy a "condo with a mast" but rather a boat with some accommodations for living. IMHO less is better when it comes to cruising. If you want lots of "comforts", in addition to course 103 I suggest you get two engineering degrees: mechanical and electrical.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 12:36   #32

You can learn on your own. It is much slower. And can get expensive in damage and mistakes. If you want to hire someone, don’t just hire a captain. Hire a captain that is an instructor. Us Sailing or ASA in the USA. CAPTAINING And INSTRUCTING/TEACHING are two different skills. Ps all certified instructors are captains by law. The more knowledge and experience that you can get before purchase is a HUGE plus and definitely money saving.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 14:20   #33

I did what you're doing - and spent 2.5 years cruising with my family. It was a fantastic experience! I didn't charter beforehand as some commentators have advised, and I started sailing about 2.5 years before I bought a boat. I chose the Caribbean because the islands are relatively close together (you can usually see where you're aiming for), and the winds are steady from the east - much easier sailing conditions than where I learned to sail.

My advice would be:
1. Increase how often you sail: try for once a week, rather than once a month.
2. Log every sail - you'll need it for insurance!
3. Find someone at your sailing club who also intends to cruise (not just race), so you get to practise setting a course that takes into account the weather, taking a mooring, anchoring, heaving-to, pre-trip engine checks, cooking on board, doing watches and other 'cruiser' skills.
4. Do some courses, ideally to day skipper level on the sailing side (not sure what that is in the American system?). Also do radio courses, dinghy / motorboat driving courses and engine maintenance courses. That will back up the sailing experience, help with common cruiser skills and make getting insurance easier.
5. When you're ready and you buy a boat, hire a training captain for at least a few days. They are not there to sail the boat. In fact, they shouldn't touch a single line or take the helm at any point. You and your family do the route-setting and sailing and docking / mooring / anchoring. The captain is there to observe, advise and troubleshoot. They should only step in if the sh*t really hits the fan. That will give you the confidence that you understand your boat and you really can do this yourself.
6. You and your wife (and perhaps older kids, if you have them?) should be able to drive the dinghy, take the helm, operate the radio and understand the navigation system you're using. When you sail as a family, everyone will have their role but in an emergency you both / all need to be basically competent in the important stuff.
7. Finally, know your limits. The worst sailing decisions are typically the result of deadlines. Sail within your abilities, as you build up experience and confidence. Choose your weather windows. Don't be embarrassed to abort a move if you feel you're not in control - you can always have another go at that mooring or anchoring spot. Ask for help - cruisers are a super-supportive bunch. Take on experienced crew for longer passages if you feel you need them.

Good luck!
Red_Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 14:39   #34

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Life time sailing instructor here: take a few basic lessons at a school then hire a captain. The instruction will be much more meaningful. Hire a good captain, not necessarily the most expensive, but take the time to find out how they will be underway…You get what you pay for, applies doubly in this department.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 14:53   #35

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
.... Hiring a captain is expensive. However there are a lot of very experienced sailors/cruisers around who are retired and would probably be delighted to accompany you for a few weeks while you get your sea legs. Look around for someone you feel comfortable with because interpersonal relations on a small boat are extremely important. You will be the captain and he/she will be your consultant...

if the purpose is more "knowing the boat well" asap and less "teach me sailing 101".. then the seller would be a really good resource in terms of give you the head start on getting to know your boat well.

and there more than likely would be no addition costs to the buyer. (outside of keeping your guest full of mojitos and poke)

all you simply have to do is ask... (or make it non-negotiable in your offer)

the seller(or buyer) broker may even volunteer if youre pleasant to them..

(but if a seller couldnt even give you a long weekend to insure you will have success with their precious sailboat...maybe you shouldnt be buying from that person)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 16:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Let me start with, Please do not consider this as a play for work.

Ask yourself- If you needed surgery would you go to someone with a low price or someone who does the procedure regularly with good results? If you needed a haircut, would you go for the $9.99 special or go to a good barber?

So why look for cheap/free training? If you cannot afford good training, please wait to buy the boat. As we have seen, even coastal cruising requires the skipper to make smart choices!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 17:27   #37

Grandpa always said. “Beware the naked man that offers you the shirt off of his back.”
Before you accept “cheap” services from an unknown captain I suggest the following. Find a great and reputable broker. (I’m not a broker) The broker can help you research numbers, and budget etc. Newbies in the live aboard market may not qualify for a loan nor insurance. It’s a wonderful life but it’s not an easy life. Lots of blogs and articles before you spend money. Education is a must. Experience is priceless. Perhaps you can crew on delivery vessels. Lots of options. Good luck.
Clubblubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 00:53   #38

Thanks all for the additional replies and suggestions. Re: Captain Ron...I'm much more of an Escape from LA fan if you couldn't already tell.

I'll take all of this advice to heart on this journey, and I really appreciate everyone's time! So many great suggestions here.
uneven_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, family