Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 12:11   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Hanging Locker Tip

Save old pantyhose (or have Mom send you some) and very gently rub over the interior of the hanging locker maybe once a year or so. If there are any tiny slivers or snag on the surface, they'll chew your clothes to bits in a seaway. This can go unnoticed for a long time, especially if you're not underway a lot or if the garment hanging next to the sliver happens not to be "picky". Then suddenly you experience a mean sea and the next day find your best knit pilled to the max. Pantyhose will find the tinest snags. In most cases you can simply sand 'em out. Clothes bags are OK for a few special garments, but they take up precious space and, if they are plastic, they prevent good air circulation.
Old 20-08-2010, 12:15   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Good thinking Janet

When I did quality control for Sealine, I used to point out these things to the guys building the boats, and being the rough and ready guys they are, they didnt see the problem with it but when you consider the type of customers spending upwards of 500,000k, they are likely to be very unimpressed if expensive clothes get damaged

Remember guys, as I used to say, you might write the cheque but its the Mrs who actually buys the boat.
Old 20-08-2010, 13:02   #3

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Another useful thing in hanging wardrobes is shock cord fastened so as to stop clothes swinging around. I use linen clothes bags for my posh outfits but until someone suggested the shock cord I still found that just the rubbing against each other produced wear.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:23   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
Many will never find this in this thread but the pantyhose trick works well for the wire standing rigging, as well.
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:30   #5

Same trick works with cheap foam rubber, too...but it's a good point to remember.