Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 12:58   #1

Great service for expediting Bahamas pet permits

My husband overnighted pet permit applications to the Bahamas Dept of Agriculture back in September with the understanding it could take up to 2 months to process, and we wanted to be sure we would have them by December. In November he started calling asking for the status, was transferred many times, was promised return calls but never heard back (one official asked him for photos and rabies certs, but he was never able to get in touch with her again.)

Long story short (too late?) we are guessing the applications were lost in the mail. We were desperate…thinking we’d be delayed another month or so. I read about one cruiser’s good experience with Wellington at Bahamas Pet Import Permits https://www.bahamaspetpermit.com who delivers your applications to the right folks in person and can often get it expedited. Note that he does NOT work for the Dept of Agriculture, so the decision to grant the permit doesn’t rest with him. However, in our case, he was able to get the permits for us by the next day. His fee was quite reasonable and having his service available when our own efforts failed removed a lot of stress from our final preparations to cross the Gulf Stream for the first time.

Now looking forward to enjoying the Bahamas with our sweet rat terriers.
ElleVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 17:49   #2

Re: Great service for expediting Bahamas pet permits

We've been travelling between the U.S. and Canada and the Bahamas with our dog for 10+ years. I used to have the same experiences you did dealing with the Bahamas Ministry of Agriculture directly. Either they lost the application, or they said they faxed the permit but didn't, or they said they mailed it and it never arrived.

But then I discovered Wellington Saunders and Bahamas Pet Permit, and it's soooo much easier! (And, when you factor in the cost of FedExing paperwork from the U.S. to the Bahamas, so much cheaper!)

I wrote a blog post about bringing dogs to the Bahamas -- and our experiences with Wellington, which you can read here: https://abacosun.com/2022/01/31/brin...o-the-bahamas/

You were lucky Wellington could get the permits done within a day -- that's not always the case. However, normally, within less than a week, we receive our permits back from him.

Amanda

Tags
Bahamas, permit, service