Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 09:25   #1

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic
Getting Cats Into The Bahamas

We are getting ready to sail to the Bahamas (then down the Thorny Path to the E. Caribbean). We have two cats on board. In trying to figure out the paperwork to get them legally into the Bahamas, we have sent in the form from the Bahamas and paid the fees (which I think is all they really care about), but our local vet asked if we needed the International Vet. Health Form or just the Interstate Health Form (which apparently is good enough in most Caribbean countries). Does anyone know the answer to this for the Bahamas?

We've contacted the local Bahamas Consulate and they couldn't answer the question and have bumped it up the chain of command in trying to find us an answer.

The main reason we ask is it is ~$200/pet for the interstate form and ~$500 for the international.

Thanks in advance!
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 12:09   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Getting Cats Into The Bahamas

We just made the crossing last week with our three Siamese. We had applied for the approval (sent FedEx to the address, minus the PO Box line) and paid the extra five bucks per cat for a faxed reply (total of $45 in a Money Order, the required tender - $10/animal, $5/animal fax response fee). You can get the application downloaded from the Bahamas website. The address we sent the applications to is:
Director of Agriculture
Department of Agriculture
Levy Building
East Bay Street
Nassau, Bahamas
Cost to send the application was $53 via FedEx and we got the reply via fax to our marina within a week. The local vet in Fort Pierce, FL, was well versed in the Bahamas customs procedure and had the necessary forms on hand for each cat. Ours had been properly vaccinated within the past year, so it was merely a check up, chip read and health record verification for the visit. They charged us $60/cat for that and for filling out the form (Bahamas Dept. of Agriculture FORM IMP 1 (B)). The form asks for the animal's microchip number and it has a pre-filled statement by the vet that signs at the bottom attesting to the cat's good health and current rabies vaccination. Our vet also filled out a US Dept. of Ag. form (APHIS Form 7001 (Nov 2010)) that is entitled, "US Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals" (one for all three cats as there is space for six animals on the form).
With all that in hand, we checked in at West End, Grand Bahama about a week later. The Customs Officer reviewed the paperwork, stamped each form and sent us on our way.
Good luck!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 23:23   #3

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

We are in the neighborhood, so I'm curious who the local Fort Pierce vet might be.

Thanks Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 02:47   #4

Hey Roger, the Vet is "Holy Family Veterinary Hospital", 709 North US 1, Ft. Pierce. Phone 772-242-8321.

Pat
Old 23-01-2017, 03:33   #5

I read the title as GETTING CATS INTO PAJAMAS. ...........I hope those mushrooms were okay.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 03:49   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakato View Post
We are getting ready to sail to the Bahamas (then down the Thorny Path to the E. Caribbean)...
If your cats will stay on board and never go ashore, all you will need to do in the Leewards and Windwards is declare your cats when clearing in and state that they always stay on board. No health certificate etc. is required, since you aren't "importing" the animals.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25   #7

Do you need a health certificate at all if you keep your cat on board or is this just certain places?
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:48   #8

The way I read their regs, you have to have all the paperwork regardless. We didn't want the slightest chance of a problem, so we jumped through all the hoops, paid the fees, declared them when entering and no problems.
We've known others with cats that say they've never done anything and never been challenged but again, we didn't want to take any chances. All three of our cats stay on the boat and do not go ashore.

Good Luck!

Pat
Old 05-04-2017, 13:23   #9

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Last I heard cats were not allowed. Mono's only. Not sure about the tri's though.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 13:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Last I heard cats were not allowed. Mono's only. Not sure about the tri's though.
Says the person that owns a CAT (alina).

I mean this so funny so funny - the play on words there about Cat (amanran) and Felus Catus, the humble pussy cat. I have never ever heard anyone make that play on the name before, that is so original, so switched on and so sophisticated. Just like my play on Catalina, a leader in witty repartee I am.

FFS.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 13:36   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Says the person that owns a CAT (alina).

I mean this so funny so funny - the play on words there about Cat (amanran) and Felus Catus, the humble pussy cat. I have never ever heard anyone make that play on the name before, that is so original, so switched on and so sophisticated. Just like my play on Catalina, a leader in witty repartee I am.

FFS.
I knew you would like the originality.
I can also attest to the Catalina's marginal quality.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 15:09   #12

Very very witty! That was good😁
Old 13-04-2017, 12:46   #13

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic

Just for a follow up. We sent our application to the Bahamas with two international money orders (one for each cat) in the middle of January with the additional funds for the expedited fax back option. Today we received our permit, via fax, from the Bahamas. The date on the permit was today (April 13th, 2017).

So expedited for the Bahamas apparently means 4 months!

Mike
S/V Krakato
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:14   #14

Boat: CHB, 1981 Trawler, 41'

Hmmm I am trying to figure out that last time I heard of a Bahamas Official coming aboard a vessel? I have not heard of that happening. Just have your documentation try for the 90 ticket, pay, and see ya. Good luck. . . I have been there so many times in my vessel and only saw an official vessel once and from a distance.
Santana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 16:48   #15

Wow that is a long time! I better get on it! Anybody have the website available otherwise I can look it up too. Thank you for that info.

Tags
Bahamas