Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 19:10   #46

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Welcome to the forum thelifenomadik, I wish you well on your quest. I know not of this henderson turn that ozskipper speaks of, perhaps he will enlighten us. You will find there are many who will want to help you and a few who will try to kick you, I am amazed at the responses that you have drawn already, I expect you are used to this. Keep your eyes and hearts open and you will do well.
Namaste
Its an oval shape instead of a figure 8 return pattern for a mob. The steps are as follows.

1 MOB event
2 instantly bear up or down to beam reach
3 Gybe ( as opposed to tack)
4 beam reach back to two boat length D/W of mob
5 Head up and stall the boat.
6 Recover mob.

You can also add the 7th and 8th steps
7 When back at the marina, push the MOB back in for costing the race.
8 MOB always buys the first round

Perhaps its a local term. I studied it years ago when doing my coxwains and instuctors etc. I prefer it to a figure 8. As long as the gybe is done correctly, its faster as no boat speed is lost during tacking. Of course you still have the "pointer" and release dan bouys etc etc.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 19:23   #47

Boat: Skookum 53'

That is a new term to me, thank you for the comeback.
Old 25-11-2012, 20:12   #48

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

MarkJ, from all the research and talk to people so far we have made up this list of things we want and don't want the boat to have and be. It can change based on new info. But it is hard, i know, everyone tells you different things. It is true that any boat could cross the Big Blue if the crew knows what to do. By bluewater i mean heavier displacement than Beneteau, Janeau, Catalina etc. , which are good and comfortable boats, I have nothing against them, but they are considered "pleasure boats" and are not the preferred choice when it comes to nervous seas, so we heard, is this wrong? I know, many people do cross the ocean on such boats, you including, I congratulate you, but we rather get an older thicker, heavier boat. There are a few models, Tayana, Stevens, Tatoosh, Island Packet, Wauquiez, Morgan, even Gulfstar that we have been looking at, between 42 and 49 feet. You will say that there is a big difference from one to the other, but hey, we keep our options open. Here is one we haven't visited yet but looks just fine. Tell us what do you think.

1992 Wauquiez 49 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thank you!
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:31   #49

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

snort, we have and red Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, and i believe we have the other one as well, but we haven't red it yet. We have a bunch of books, including The Care and Feeding of the Offshore Crew, but this will come handy later i guess.
Thanks for the advise!
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 03:32   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifenomadik
Overwhelmed.....

Thank you all for your p.....

p.s.
Seasickness dos not scary us much.
How do you know that. ??

Dave
Old 26-11-2012, 04:34   #51

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Just wanted to point out that the boat you provided the link to is very pretty and appears to be in good condition in the photos but it is at the top of your budget and not cruising ready. That will add significantly to the price. Have you budgeted for maintenance costs, fuel and dockage fees?
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 04:38   #52

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How do you know that. ??

Dave

Thats a really good point Dave. Seasickness is such a horrid thing and it can knock down the toughest men on the planet. Let alone the fatigue affects it can have on other crew when a vessel is short handed in rough weather.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:18   #53
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Good point about budget.

Assuming the hull and rig are sound and most systems are sound, you can still expect to put an additional 20% of the purchase price into the boat - at least.

Also - dont blow your whole wad on the boat - you will want to go sailing and that takes money as well.

If you are counting on living by your own hands while travelling that is a whole other thread and a quick search on the forum will turn up many threads on this topic, another fairly contentious topic - as it there are any other on this forum?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:58   #54

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Here is a quick and dirty idea of the costs of a blue water boat. My wife and I are planning an RTW. We have bought the boat, a 2006 Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3 (40 ft). Major add-ons/rebuilds (this boat is in as nearly new condition as it is possible to find)

All figures are in USD, 000

boat - 125
watermaker - 3
new prop - 3
targa bar - 3
electric winch - 2,5
new anchors/chain etc - 4
radar/AIS - 5
batteries/solarpanel/tinygenset - 2,5
wind rudder - 4
spare sails (new) - 10
dinghy/motor/liferaft - 5
misc. 10

Total boat 125 + extra 47 = total USD 173.

Not everyone would agree with everything on the list, some would add more, some less. The list doesn't include all those little things like a system for vacuum storing food, extra jugs for water/fuel. Spare parts (BIG TICKET ITEM), tools (another big ticket item), Charts, pilot books, and god knows what else. The 10k for misc. is just chump change. It will cost more. And I'm not out fo the harbour yet.

So your 180 is not a hell of a lot of money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 06:10   #55

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I know you seem to have your heart set on a 44 foot boat or larger. After reading much of your blog and understanding your desire to live simply and frugally.....you might really want to consider a 36 to 40 foot boat.
The cost of upkeep and maintenance on boats is much much higher than on RV's and there are so many more systems that have to be maintained.

If you want to live inexpensively on a boat you will have to spend most of your time "on anchor". To do that you will need solar panels or wind generators for power. If you plan to cruise....consider a water maker....otherwise you will have to buy water. The engines on a smaller boat will also be smaller and require less fuel. Marine fuel is expensive and even sail boats need to motor....more often than you might expect.

There is a reason that there are fewer boats over 40 feet....you have to spend a lot of money to keep them functional. In an RV if you break down on the road you have a lot more options than breaking down at sea. At sea your lives could be at stake.

Do read up about illegally working in foreign countries....not all are very forgiving.

Do more research on the lifestyle you are considering.....and since you are asking for advice.....spend less than half of your money on the boat....you will need the rest. You can probably find a decent boat 36-40' that with your husbands talents you could get cruise ready, with all the tools, backup equipment etc. that will allow you safe travels!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 06:36   #56

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Thats a really good point Dave. Seasickness is such a horrid thing and it can knock down the toughest men on the planet. Let alone the fatigue affects it can have on other crew when a vessel is short handed in rough weather.
This is a very important point. Say you do all your research and reading and buy an awesome boat only to find out maybe 2 of you get seasick quite easily. Now what? Seasickness can make you hate the sea.

I use ginger gum and bracelets to combat seasickness, but it's because I REALLY want to be out there and my parents didn't send me out there. Big difference.

Think about trying to operate the boat while blowing chunks...........it's tough believe me and sort of!? puts a damper on the whole experience.

You might want to do a little sailing in the ocean first then buy. Notice, I said Ocean where the waves are quite different from a bay unless you are in the lower Chesapeake where you can have both bay waves which ride on ocean waves.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 23:46   #57

Re: Seasickness
My wife was once advised to try eating a "Green Apple" - it seemed to work very well for her.
duanecatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 03:28   #58

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanecatman View Post
Re: Seasickness
My wife was once advised to try eating a "Green Apple" - it seemed to work very well for her.
Right, I've heard that also, but the point here is that maybe these folks should try the cruising life first before diving right in. Maybe rent a boat etc.

For example, smelling low tide reminds me of home and growing up, but I've heard others say....what's that stink I smell?

Then there is the fact that they haven't even sailed. Not even a little.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:22   #59
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
maybe these folks should try the cruising life first before diving right in
This is said over and over in various forms in various threads. What makes this true? It is different from the reasonable advice not to buy a boat and sail across an ocean the next day - but really why shouldn't people dive right in?

Some people live life by diving in, that is their personality. I really don't see anything wrong with making a major life decision, assuming you have full awareness and support from your spouse and kids, and just going for it.

Will they get the best boat this way? Of course not. Will they make tons of mistakes? Of course.

Who cares, this is what they are choosing to do. They seem smart enough not to do something foolish so lets offer more advice on what boat to buy and advice on how to manage your systems, repair sails and deal with the strange new world of marine toilets instead of wasting everyone's time saying that same worn out mantra over and over again about how if it took you 20 years to be able to make the right decisions it should take everyone else the same time and the same path.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:31   #60

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Floolish

you're right, of course, it is their money and their lives. they can do as they wish. I've tried to give them some understanding of the fact that ocean cruising is not the same as highway cruising, especially since on the ocean there is no way to get off.

In the long run we, as cruisers, really don't want to discourage newcomers, rather we want to encourage them. Perhaps sometimes we just end up thinking a little like parents, we don't want newbie to have to make all the same mistakes we did.

the university of hard knocks is a tough school, sometimes we just want to make things easier for the next guy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat