Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 06:50   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

I'll say welcome and I jope you make. Before you put down megabucks and sail off into the setting sun, do yourselves a favor and buy Beth Leonards. "a voyagers handbook". It is probably the best book on the subject around today. If she doesn't discuss it, you probably don't need to know it.

Then READ it. Not just pappa or mama but all four of you read every single word.

After you've done that, hold a family council and decide if you want to continue.

Assuming you do, take some cash and charter a boat. See if you like it. Still got the hots? Buy something and get out on the water. But it is a VERY good idea to take sailing lessons before leaving the dock.

A final word, how do you, and your kids feel about hanging over the side, tied unto the boat with a lifeline and rope puking your guts out for hours on end? Is your daughter prepared to live with her own puke mashed into her red hair? For a couple of days?

Think about it. You may never experience it, but if you go blue water, there is good chance you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 06:54   #17

Boat: trident voyager 38 ft Calaloo

lotz of discussion, and yes, he may do fine with no experience.
but what of the rest of the family? maybe the daughter, or another
member of the family gets terribly seasick? then what? I met a cruising
family like this. yes, they pretty much had to give it up except for
short vacations in calm places. How many couples have you met that
the husband loves it and the wife just can't stand no more?.
Rick F
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 06:55   #18
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
That's the biggest problem with taking a leap, buying the big boat, and setting off. After spending a lot of money, time, and effort to go you might not like it--a lot of people don't.
+++1

Best source of cheap second hand boats, most boat dreams end up shipwrecked on these shoals more than wrecked on an actual reef.

Only real reason not to jump in with both feet is that the reality is not the same as the fantasy. After being a sailor for over 3 decades and speaking at length to family when asked, they still have the fantasy in their mind when asked what cruising is like. The idea that it is mainly different from dirt by the range of emotional swings is completely lost to them. They, like the rest of dirt land (including noobs with boat dreams), think it is weeks spent lounging in the folds of sails on the foredeck with a book and sunscreen in hand. Yes it can be like this but damn you sure as **** have to earn these moments with hanging faced down in a diesel drenched bilge for hours in a 5 meter sea and spending days on end dealing with immigration issues in the heat and sweat, dark nights tired and a little afraid and the ever present tension that comes from spending months and years at anchor knowing that the albatross around your neck, your boat, can't be left. It is so much easier to travel by backpack, and cheaper to, if it is just travel you are looking for don't buy a boat. It takes a special type of masochist to RTW on a boat...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:18   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

my advice would be to find yourself a retired, single ,ex cruiser of modest means to hold your hand for the first 6months or so whilst you make the transition from dirt dweller to sea creature....... if you want to safely take the fast track...you can't buy experiance,but you can borrow or hire it!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:20   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I think it's unfair to some of us that might countenance caution. It's not all about whoo-hoo go do it types of replies

Many here talk about boat size I think that's irrelevant , that's a function of money. It's the environment that gets to people. FoolishSailor hits the nail on the head

Dave
Old 25-11-2012, 07:24   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Another important thing, IMHO, is to start out in a forgiving area during a time of the year with favorable weather. It is a lot better to get your feet wet (speaking metaphorically) in some place like the Chesapeake where there is always a handy harbor, the bottom is forgiving mud, marine stores and repair yards are plentiful, prices are reasonable, people are friendly and helpful, there are lots of "old salts" to help with advice, etc. Some folks go for the great deal on a boat in some place like Panama and then they have to start their learning curve where it is hard to get parts, there are language issues, navigation is trickier, you are time limited by your visa, etc. Do yourself a favor and look at boats in a good learning area.
Old 25-11-2012, 07:41   #22

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Windlasses and winches can be dangerous things. At least learn where not to put your pingers.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:43   #23

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by snort
Windlasses and winches can be dangerous things. At least learn where not to put your pingers.
Oh, the typos today. I am still chuckling over "getting up on the wrong side of the birth"
Old 25-11-2012, 08:20   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

$180k to buy and outfit the boat? (living and cruising costs extra.)
Where are you? Where do you want to sail out of? Which coast do you want to set off from and more specifically where on that coast?
Where to you want to go?
Are you looking to cruise extensively or liveaboard and occasionally take several weeks or months off to nip around the Caribbean or Baja?
Any really strong preferences to start with? (full/fin keel, mono/multi, spade/skeg/attached rudder, sloop/cutter/mizzen rigged)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 08:26   #25

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I scanned your "The Life Nomadik" , I did not read it in detail. But the following quote is from it:

"there is a big wardrobe which holds all our clothes and a small bathroom with a toilet, a sink, and a shower which we decided not to use unless we stop at a campground with a full hook up. Instead, we use showers, toilets, and laundry available at every marina we stop for a night or other places. This can be very inconvenient"

I gather your mobile home has a great number of amenities although not those found in a small apartment. Now you want to spend big bucks......IMHO $180K is not small change..... and go off in search of paradise.

What a big step, no make that a huge step into the unknown. No sailing experience. No matter how cramped that motor home can be at times, it is a far cry from being in the middle of nowhere with cold showers, limited water, no electricity, no heat, limited refrigeration and nobody else around. Sure, you can do it.....and maybe you can. Yeah, yeah, this forum has many who always encourage "go for it" in stranger situations.

I think ,making such a huge step into an area you have no personal experience at all in is foolish!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 08:39   #26

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Oh, the typos today. I am still chuckling over "getting up on the wrong side of the birth"
No typos. I was being alliterative. I thought twice about adding "wittle", but it sounded a tad too patronizing.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 09:45   #27

Shear insanity as are all the posts offering encouragement to these totally unrealistic, unprepared Daydreamers; no experience, no knowledge, limited funds, no real plans [children's long term educational, destinations etc etc].
The best part is that they will, in all likelihood, end up on some other Nation's welfare rolls other than Canada's.
duanecatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 10:11   #28

Boat: OEM, proportional

Well, I suppose if things go a bit pear-shaped with the cartopper sailing dinghy they could end up marooned in a third world country....but they managed to navigate through the US without too much trouble and the captain seems to be handy. If they take off slow and careful and ramp up from there they have a fighting chance. They have two young strong watchstanders and aren't over the hill themselves, so all these things considered, they're in a stronger position than retirees. Sailing children seem to turn out exceptional, like the great majority of homeschooled children...it takes a lot of money and effort to make them as dumb as only state education can, so I'm confident they will work out just fine.
Old 25-11-2012, 11:05   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Cal 48. Doesn't have separate cabins for the kids, but separate areas that could be curtained or walled off if you are handy.

CAL 48 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
The Cal 48 - information for cruising sailors
1967 Cal 48 $119,000
Peak Oil, Energy economics and social change from a Wyoming perspective: Cal 48 KOHO is now for sale
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:42   #30

In the event that Insanity and Micah 719 - et al, prevail , have a look at E-Bay item #330832600462 a 1975 36' Cheoy Lee ketch [BIN $ 23,000] presently located at Key West
duanecatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat