Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: For women, by women

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
I have noticed this same thing and many times I have been afraid to post.
Yes, it does seem ridiculous not to even have one little thread that girls can have that guys posts are deleted.

I am pretty sure this forum software allows a non moderator to be named a thread moderator and have that capacity.

It doesn't even need to be some rampant discussion, but a thread that's available when its wanted.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 13:00   #32

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

There will always be people that you will not agree with. I just ignore such people. A boss once told me: "If someone has a problem, don't make it yours!" Yet another boss said: "Never play with a pig! You'll get sullied and smelly while the pig will have a great time." So, go ahead and speak your mind! If someone doesn't like what you've said...ummm...you now know what to do. Happy New Year! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 13:03   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I think that is what "Mermaids" is for. The appointing of a moderator for one thread does not mean that it will be moderated 24 hours a day and it does not take long for someone to post some mean/derogatory comment and it can stay there for hours until eradicated.

To me it is even more ridiculous that we need this at all. This is supposed to be a social, information and support group for like minded folks on this forum. There will always be the "heroes" who want to anonymously bully others and always be folks who cannot tolerate any opinions other than their own. Please, don't give in to them ladies, and guys, keep posting. Also, if you see a post that you find distaseful or overly aggressive, do the mods a favour and report it. It is a lot easier as a mod to log on and find posts have been reported than to have to work through everything to see if there are any crappy ones.

Sorry about the bit of a rant, but i hate bullying. We, the rest of the forum, then miss out on the interaction with the people who are timid about posting and all of us miss out on their thoughts and contributions that they could bring to this place.

As in real life, the strong should protect the less strong, so let's do it. Don't come down to the level of name calling etc., just report a post that offends you, even if it is not aimed at you, the mods do a great job on here, so make it easier for them and let's look after our own and make it safer for these good people to post.

Coops.
Old 01-01-2013, 13:21   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Sailing Jeannius

I have so much enjoyed reading this
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:20   #35

Boat: Haida 26

Hi Gals, 2011 I took my wife Brenda [ wayward wench, on cruiser forum] on her first ever cruise and first time out in the ocean. I had her write the blog in her own words, thought it might be an interesting read for someone who has not yet had the opportunity. Michael..

www.voyagesoftherubyjean.blogspot.com
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:09   #36

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, it does seem ridiculous not to even have one little thread that girls can have that guys posts are deleted. ...
It doesn't even need to be some rampant discussion, but a thread that's available when its wanted.

Or when needed. Women have feelings.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:45   #37

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: For Women, by Women

Wow! Interesting suggestions people. I've always wanted to read Two in a Boat, and that reminds me that I wanted to read Cape Horn: One Man's Dream, One Woman's Nightmare. I'm putting those on my list.

ANd then the blog recommended Sailing Jeannius struck me because in her profile she says "For someone who doesn't swim well, hates sea water, the feel of sand sticking to her, mosquitoes and heat, it's been quite a ride!". I haven't read all of it.

There is a bloggers raftup happening where they take one topic and a bunch of bloggers address it on their own blogs. It can be difficult to find these because the actual links to the actual blog posts don't seem to be collected anywhere. But if you google "raft up cruising" you'll be able to see that months posts come up and then you can track down the rest.

I bring this up because most of the participating are women and they often address interesting questions like fear:

Ceilydh Sets Sail: Raft-up: Feeling the fear and doing it anyway
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 15:59   #38

Boat: Currently boatless

Just thought of this as well:

Burly girlies ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 16:18   #39

Fantastic! Thanks Livia for the link to the ceilydh fear post and the heads up on the raft-up happenings. Tres cool and timely.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just thought of this as well:

Burly girlies ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b
Really enjoyed your blog-Great writing! And I now know that I am a burly girl too! I always want to be part if the boat conversation too-it's how I learned. It's why I enjoy being part of the CF (I learn new things daily) and this thread really lets us focus on our issues.

I must admit my username is a bit androgynous because when I started I wanted to be taken seriously-and it was my first time online in a forum-and I was nervous to talk to strangers. Although, many times now it's like chatting with friends in the cockpit over cocktails. And some have a couple too many and get rowdy! The mods have a tough job! But I care if a CF'er boat is safe or if The Rat is caught. LOL. We has a Sisters Acquiring Sea Skills group in La Paz that had speakers on sailing topics-& a reason to get together and have lunch. The females on CF give me the same feeling of having others who LOVE living on a boat.

(Would love to be a Mermaid too if it's possible)
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:02   #41

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

come on over to:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - ~~Mermaids Group~~
Old 05-01-2013, 19:19   #42

Boat: csy 37

yes, i'm a MAN. i would just like to say two things.

1. if there was a 'for men only' forum, i'm sure woman on the board would be checking it out, at least occasionally.

2. as all women are aware, most men have no 'intuition'. we have to be TOLD how you feel. so maybe it would do us a lot of good to occasionally read your posts (although maybe we shouldn't reply) so that we keep in touch with your viewpoints, fears, and concerns. could help us in our relationships...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post

Thank you! I had heard of it but never knew about how to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
yes, i'm a MAN. i would just like to say two things.

1. if there was a 'for men only' forum, i'm sure woman on the board would be checking it out, at least occasionally.

2. as all women are aware, most men have no 'intuition'. we have to be TOLD how you feel. so maybe it would do us a lot of good to occasionally read your posts (although maybe we shouldn't reply) so that we keep in touch with your viewpoints, fears, and concerns. could help us in our relationships...

I love having discussions with our wonderful CF men and will continue to take part in threads that are about topics of female-male relationships (as well as boat topics too). I agree that is helpful to both sides to have discussions-my intuition is excellent but it doesn't always work on men! But sometimes it's nice to chat with another female too-especially for the only woman in a cove. There are fewer females cruising so fewer to have these discussions.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 19:34   #44

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
There is a bloggers raftup happening where they take one topic and a bunch of bloggers address it on their own blogs. It can be difficult to find these because the actual links to the actual blog posts don't seem to be collected anywhere.
Livia, you're so right that the raft-up posts were hard to find! Your comment was just the inspiration we needed - we're putting together a site where we can collect links to all the raft-up articles. Thanks for providing the spark: Raft-UP: Collecting Cruiser Perspectives. More advice and feedback would be appreciated!
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28   #45
cruiser

I'm here to add the male point of view.

Wait,...

the garbage? Is it Thursday?

Damn. Okay, gotta go.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote