Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 09:46   #16

Re: Extensive Cruising With a Dog, Foreign Regulations?

Last year I have visit with my dogs Malta, there was no any problem, the vet came on board and check the papers and the chip. He advised to inform customs 3 days before arrival. Also given the dogs treatment against teeks and flees some days before arrival.
lo brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:46   #17

are cats better.. i don't like the idea of the cat box smell.. ohhh.. but having a pet would be good company ... anyone?
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:52   #18

Also I sail with a Siamees cat and my Welsh terrier from Thailand to Turkey wit a one year stop in India. Both animals had a good time and with the cat you have not to do the daily shore walks.
lo brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:09   #19

I read one post about teaching the cat to swim? I'm not joking..
Old 17-09-2015, 10:23   #20

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

I really love dogs too, but after reading this, I might consider adding a cat to my crew!

Cat Wakes Owner on Sinking Yacht

Major Tom the cat is being credited with saving the life of his owner when his yacht began to fill with water while it was anchored 40 nautical miles off the coast of Australia. “He kept head-butting me and got me up, and eventually after checking the wind and doing the normal course check I noticed the bow heavy, heavy in the water … the whole boat was flooded,” said owner Grant McDonald. “It was too dark and too dangerous to enter and try and find a leak. I had to make the quick decision to get the cat and get on the life raft as quickly as possible.” After being in the raft for hours, McDonald and his cat were rescued by a passing container ship with a Chinese crew. McDonald, who lived on the yacht, lost everything but his cat when the boat sank. — Read it at People Pets
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:18   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We have two dogs and as far as a day sail or perhaps a very short coastal cruise of up to week. We would probably bring them with us. Anything longer, we would leave them with family. It can, and usually does, kick up a bit if you are out long enough. The stress on the dogs and ourselves would not be acceptable.

I can't imagine not having a dog in my life but it is eye opening when I consider our newest family member will probably outlive me.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 18:58   #22

major tom... great name..
Richard Parker.. the Bengal tiger that is stranded on the lifeboat with Pi when the ship sinks ib the book and movie..
would be a great name too... or Mr. Wilson.
Old 17-09-2015, 18:59   #23

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

We have sailed all over the western Caribbean and the Bahamas with our 80lb dog and she poops on the green Mat of the fordeck when we are at anchor, and she poops there under way. If your dog is well trained, and smart, she will learn. Customs is a non issue in 9-10 countries. Having a dog does bring extras hassles and responsibilities, but to this day I would still not leave with out my "bear bear".
Check out our you tube we have tons of vids with the dog and life with the dog on board
Pm me with any specific questions

Facebook.com/seawolfadventure

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 19:01   #24

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Extensive Cruising With a Dog, Foreign Regulations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Thanks for the replies, it's pretty much what I was thinking.

Although I've done offshore cruises with my last pooch pal, he was an exceptional sailing pooch who had been on boats since he was a pup and had no issues with it, he was very well acclimated and well suited to the life. Unfortunately, like people, you never know how they will fare until your there, so that may not be the case with another pooch.

I worked and lived in third world countries for extended periods in my previous career and understand where animals stand in the hierarchy of living things, which is quite different from what people in the US are used to. In countries where 85% of the population lives on the edge and live already challenging lives pets are not an affordable luxury for most.

My main concern was about the bureaucratic hurdles involved with trying to do that, and it was, unfortunately, what I expected.

Unfortunately I will have to be the bad guy in telling my sons we can't do it and I do feel guilty for denying them that experience since I've had dogs as long as I can remember, mom had a weakness for taking in and rehabbing strays, probably from her experience growing up in the depression era, her family took in people and pooches even though they had little themselves.

All the pooch pals I've had were strays or rescue dogs, all were great, with the mutts being the healthiest and most well balanced in personality.

Thanks for the honest replies.

Don't be discouraged by people afraid of customs, bring the pooch. Your kids will thank you and you'll appreciate the companionship

Only place it's an issue is ex British colonies but even there, just email them before and you will be fine

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 20:48   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Extensive Cruising With a Dog, Foreign Regulations?

We are sailing with a Yorkie now and have been living aboard full time for about 9 months now. She has a fake grass pad that she uses on the boat and sometimes will use the trampoline up front (we're on a catamaran). We have a couple of the grass pads so we can wash the dirty one periodically with a vinegar mixture to kill any odors. We are now going through the paperwork and process to leave for the Bahamas. It has been more to take care of than if we didn't have a dog, but definitely doable. That may change as we make our way down the Caribbean chain of islands, but for now, we're fine with the little bit of extra effort.

As for the dog on board, she loves the boat, but doesn't care much for swimming. She likes laying out on deck and riding in the dinghy. She has a lifejacket and tethers to clip in when underway. So far so good. I hope that our journey continues with her as she is quite fun to have onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
blackcatscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 18:30   #26

Boat: Nordhavn 46 motorsailor
Send a message via Skype™ to janaconda

Don't listen to all the negative reply. There is not many problems cruising with a dog. I have been cruising all over the world, visit more than 100 countries, 200.000 NM in the last 15 years. Also Europe and all over the Caribbean. Always with my dogs. The first one was a Bullboxer. She came on board as a puppy. I taught her to swim right away and she love sailing. Same thing with a Schnauzer, my second dog. Both love the life on board. They have never been inside the boat. I want them watching the boat, which is difficult from inside, so they are outside dogs. I have many stories about other boats, anchored close to us, that has been robbed, either during the night or during daytime. Never happen to us. Locals find out quick, that there is a dog on board, so why try to rob a boat with a dog on board.
They both did their business on the fore deck, even in bad weather, which we easily scoop up into the sea with pieces of cardboard. We have no guard net, no swim vest. Dogs walk on four legs, much more safe than us.
We visit a Vet every year, to get the shots as required and get a health certificate. We know, that NZ, AU and Hawaii is no go, so we don't go there.
We don't contact authorities before arrival. When we clear the boat and they ask for animals on board, we tell them we have a dog. If they don't ask, we don't tell. A few times we have showed the dog papers to Quarantine, but most times nobody cares. They often tell us, that the dog cannot come ashore, and we say OK, no problem. She is a watchdog for the boat. But as soon as we sail outside the clearing port, we take her ashore as much as we want. She loves sailing in the dinghy, but will swim ashore herself, if we do not take her. Many time we have to leash her, when we leave the boat and want her to stay on board to guard. We exercise her a lot, mostly swimming. She is always with us when we snorkel. She follows our bubbles when we dive. Second time we came to Fiji, they demanded a bond of several hundred dollars, but you get it back, when you leave and she hasn't been seen ashore while there.
Unfortunately, our first dog died after a dog desease she caught in Panama and the second got run over by a truck in the Philippines. Ana was 9 years on board, Oscar 4 years. We miss them and we are definitely looking for a new puppy again. Dog on board - No problem!
Jan, s/y Anaconda
Old 19-09-2015, 03:27   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 17:44   #28

Boat: Lagoon 450

This crew so far seems to have no issues in the Caribbean.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiu...dWNItvSCw/feed
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:32   #29

I will simply offer a cautionary tale, related to me by a fellow that I used to know...

He and his family went cruising and took their beloved dog. Checked in and out of several countries without any problems, and no one really even seemed to care much about the dog. Came to a country where the paperwork, shots required, and quarantine period seemed onerous to him. So he decided to go ahead without the proper paperwork, try to keep the dog hidden while in the country, and hope that it would work out.

As you can probably already guess, they were the one in ten thousand who get caught. The dog was confiscated and put to sleep. The entire family was devastated.

While many get away with it, my advice would be to NEVER try to sneak your dog into any country without all of the required paperwork, with every "T" crossed, and every "I" dotted!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, regulations