Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 23:55   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Extended Vacation Ideas, Please

One of my crew is in hospital having had some pretty serious surgery two days ago. She's likely to be in for another two weeks and then need an extended period of convalescence, three month or more. The boat is her home but it's not exactly an ideal place when your feeling fragile and possibly need further medical intervention. We could get a flat in London but it's a dreary place to spend the winter.

We are all EU citizens and we're looking for somewhere that has
  • No problems with obtaining a visa for at least 3 months and probably 6 months.
  • Good medical care, cost is not an issue.
  • A warm but not hot climate.
  • Relatively flat in the resort area, she's not going to be up to climbing any hills for a while.
Suggestions based on personal experience would be very welcome.

Thank you

Paige
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:55   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Are you looking for a land-based location or one for a boat?
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hawaii is nice..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Are you looking for a land-based location or one for a boat?

Land, her doctor doesn't want her anywhere near a boat for at least 2 months. It's likely she'll be fit to fly in about four weeks. I'm not really thinking straight on this at the moment and neither are the others. The four of us have grown into a tight-knit family and this has left us all sleepless with worry.

None of us have ever done the luxury resort thing, none of our friends have either, but it might be a good time to do it now. We've heard of Sandals resorts but are they couples only? I've been into a travel agent here and got some brochures but what we'd really like is recommendations from people who've stayed at these high end resorts.

Paige
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Nassau. Still a bit warm but this time of year should start cooling down.

Bermuda. Further north and usually a bit cooler than the Bahamas.

Both spots are reasonably flat, at least right around the shore.

Both have a significant population of very well to do residents and have excellent medical resources to service those clients. However for something really tricky I would plan on returning to EU or the states.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Land, her doctor doesn't want her anywhere near a boat for at least 2 months. It's likely she'll be fit to fly in about four weeks. I'm not really thinking straight on this at the moment and neither are the others. The four of us have grown into a tight-knit family and this has left us all sleepless with worry.

None of us have ever done the luxury resort thing, none of our friends have either, but it might be a good time to do it now. We've heard of Sandals resorts but are they couples only? I've been into a travel agent here and got some brochures but what we'd really like is recommendations from people who've stayed at these high end resorts.

Paige
We have never been to a Sandals but have been to several other resorts similar and they would be a great place to recover from surgery or an illness that is debilitating. Where are you and maybe we can make a more specific recommendation?

When we were younger we were back-packing in Idaho and my wife fell and broke her arm. We had to hike out. We had been traveling and living out of tents and the back of our car for about a month and after the arm was casted we went to one of the nice ski resorts in Sun Valley and got a nice room with a kitchen and room service and stayed until she had recovered. She still remembers that as being a great vacation, broken arm and all.

You really just need a great bed, reasonable food, a good chair and someplace to walk around to encourage activity for it to be a good recovery location.

You may also ask the doctor to be more specific about their limitations. There is really no medical condition (even post surgery) that would keep someone off a boat that was at a dock or anchored for 2 months. Physicians often make blanket statements about activity restrictions but when you really ask them the specifics such as "can she walk down 4 steps with a handrail twice a day", etc. they are much more understanding. Don't ask me how I know.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:48   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
  • No problems with obtaining a visa for at least 3 months and probably 6 months.
  • Good medical care, cost is not an issue.
  • A warm but not hot climate.
  • Relatively flat in the resort area, she's not going to be up to climbing any hills for a while.
New Zealand? - Climate made me think of it for convalesence, but also given the length of stay having the same lingo (I presume!) may be useful so at least one can communicate with the "natives" - who I recall also seemed freindly enough

and although perhaps not out hill climbing, wouldn't be boxed into a resort either. Maybe an Apartment in Auckland or some sort of spa resort Bay of Islands way. or a bit of both? Sorry, no personal recomendations.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Paige,
The web site, Sandals.com, might be able to help you with your question about couples only. In traveling around, many times a short term rental of a condominium or private home might meet your needs. If you want to be waited on, I heard Sandals is fantastic. My concern with is the availability of medical care might be scarce. The east coast of the USA is flat like London, pick a large city and check on the medical facilities and temperature ranges. Hope this helps.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:56   #9

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
Paige,

I am sorry to hear about your friend's medical situation and will keep all of you in my prayers!

Ever thought about Northern Minnesota? Like we had a balmy 19 farenheit (what is that in celcius?) last night - ice on the dog's watering dish - ect. no danger of her being on/near a boat for a while here, as they are either 'on the hard' or will be frozen in the ice. :-) Some nice ski resorts to get some R&R in - she can hot tub while watching the skiers 'biff' on the slopes. I guess the only thing that really fits is the good medical care up here.............

best of luck with your search!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I spent a winter in Black Duck many many years ago, and I can confirm what Captainstubbie says...no problem be tempted by any boats.
Hawaii.....Hawaii
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
NZ not much different from London - rain, rain, rain .....

New Caledonia or somewhere in the upper half of OZ way better.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:36   #12

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, good wishes and suggestions. Boat people are good people. None of you know me, yet you take the time to help. Thank you again.

Paige
Old 18-11-2009, 17:16   #13

Boat: pilot cutter
In the States (northern climes) people generally head to Florida or Arizona for the winter if looking for 'warmer' weather. Both places generally have excellent medical services around the larger communities, as there are many retired folks thereabouts. If you want the beach head to Florida. If you want the wild west, head to Arizona.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vacation