Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 07:03   #1

Dogs into Turks - Wow what a PITA!

GM All,

We are transiting from FL to St. THomas via Bahamas, Turks and DR, etc. I got my forms and permit for the Bahamas no problem, but TURKS is really difficult. They want a TITER, USDA Vet cert etc, a month in advance, which makes no sense when the vert cert form says must be within 10 days of arrival!! I am exasperated. So far I have spent $500 for 2 dogs just for the TITER and I am regretting it.

Those of you who have taken dogs into TC, can you let me know what was the experience?

If the dogs stay on board at Turks, Do they still require all this confusing and expensive paperwork?

I understand the DR is pretty easy, just show them the forms.

TIA
dgordon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:25   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Dogs into Turks - Wow what a PITA!

Can't be worse the NZ or Oz. There they want more vet stuff plus 6mo quarantine, or you are not allowed to dock the boat and you are required to be in a few specific anchorages.

Dog or cat get ashore accidentally they are out down.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 18:12   #3

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Call Bob at SouthSide Marina, a real nice, cruiser friendly place in Provo 649-946-3417 for the latest info, don't remember it being difficult at all! If there for a week or less and anchored out don't bother.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44   #4

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Easiest would be to just not stop in Provo and go directly to Luperon. Provo is very expensive and there is nothing there except a wonderful beach at Grace Bay unless you want to see the conch farm.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22   #5

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

More reasons not to go to TC ever!
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 14:04   #6

I think you fail to stand that foreign animals represent a threat to native ecosystem.
Many Pacific Islands have had their birds made extinct because cats have been introduced. Australian sheep were nearly wiped because of alien rabbits. Many native birds in NZ were made extinct because of exotics.
Protect the ecosystems you visit leave your dogs and cats, which carry host of parasites, at home. Rabies is the least of the problem.Then there are lionfish, pythons, kudzu etc.
As a conservation biologist I must tell you( and of course many others other) that in your innocence you are a major threat to delicate ecosystems.
I know enough pet lovers to know that I'm wasting my time. But maybe someone back in the states might hear my plea and leave their dogs behind with relatives.

pdenton, PhD
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:01   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
I think you fail to stand that foreign animals represent a threat to native ecosystem.
Many Pacific Islands have had their birds made extinct because cats have been introduced. Australian sheep were nearly wiped because of alien rabbits. Many native birds in NZ were made extinct because of exotics.
Protect the ecosystems you visit leave your dogs and cats, which carry host of parasites, at home. Rabies is the least of the problem.Then there are lionfish, pythons, kudzu etc.
As a conservation biologist I must tell you( and of course many others other) that in your innocence you are a major threat to delicate ecosystems.
I know enough pet lovers to know that I'm wasting my time. But maybe someone back in the states might hear my plea and leave their dogs behind with relatives.

pdenton, PhD
Great post.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:02   #8

Quote:

pdenton, PhD
I didn't know that sheep were native to Australia, I thought that they were another import, not that that diminishes the effect of importing the rabbits.
(The rabbit is an alien species in Britain as well, introduced by the Romans, 2000 years ago, and exploded to almost plague numbers before controlled by germ warfare with mxymatosis)

Still I agree that controls on importing species are important, look at the spread of the cane toad in Australia, and they were introduced on purpose even after sensible people understood the problems of bringing in alien species.

My cat stays at home when I go sailing, but then I am not a long term cruiser (yet).
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:17   #9

Great post. Most readers won't get hung up on sheep not being native but just appreciate the gist of your post.

Quote:

pdenton, PhD
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:17   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Why would you want a dog on a boat?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 16:02   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Great post.
+1. Besides it's cruel to have a dog on a boat.
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 16:19   #12

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Why would you want a dog on a boat?

How about companionship and security among many other reasons! We have sailed in the Caribbean and parts of South America with our West Highland Terrier for over 13 years and it wouldn't be half as much fun without her. There have been many places we sailed, especially coming down the western Caribbean, that having a barking dog aboard was a key part of our security. I recall anchoring in places like Puerto Cabello, Venezuela, right off the beach where the locals would swim out to the boat and our little terrier would be going nuts!We consider Annie a family member as much as a key member of our crew! btw she loves eating Lion Fish
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 16:31   #13

I've seen many small dogs on boats that look pretty damn happy and satisfied, I can't agree it's always cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsestes1 View Post
+1. Besides it's cruel to have a dog on a boat.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 20:48   #14

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

Correction for 'pdenton':
Sheep and rabbits were both introduced to Australia at the same time.
Both are alien.
There was no threat of extinction for either but there was a massive problem with soil erosion from rabbit holes.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 21:36   #15

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Great post. Most readers won't get hung up on sheep not being native but just appreciate the gist of your post.
Great post,
the German wasp was introduced into nz on returning ww2 equipment coming into nz, that in turn has effected the bee population drastically, now we have had the viroa mite from overseas which is killing off the hives.this could have been introduced via imported honey or bees wax, but no one is sure
Bees are so inmoprtant to the whole ecological balance of the world food supplies.
Countries do not want new introduce pests illnesses to destroy their industries , hence restrictions
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs