Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2008, 15:21   #31

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
if I had a dog, this is what she'd look like

Okay, on the whole dog-at-sea issue, I started google'ing the pet lifevests. OMG. Sooooo adorable. No, this isn't my dog but if the breeder sites showed them all dolled up like this they might be able to justify the $1k pricetags a little better!

I have to share: Macie: Paws Aboard Pet Portrait Gallery; Pet Photos, Dog Pictures, Dog Portraits, Pet Portraits, Dog Photos

I think ZoE is gonna find herself with a four-legged first mate by the end of the summer.
SweetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 14:16   #32

Boat: Ericson 36C, Cutter, Kasidah
Bought new harness

I love the photo. I have a Yorkie who loves to dress up but the other dogs don't like it too much. I just bought a new type of harness for my dogs after see a friends dog wearing it. Its a cloth harness made by Puppia. This seems to be much more comfy for them. I notice that while sailing on hot days they just can't take the lifevest so to tether them seem the way to go. Mainly my dogs just sit around all day......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	3100  
Old 06-04-2008, 20:49   #33

k9 PFD recommendation

We have 2 island dogs (adopted from a shelter in Sint Maarten). One loves diving off the dingy to swim around the mothership, the other hates getting her feet wet. Both wear PFD's whenever we are under way and on most dingy rides. Reason? Handles. Have you ever tried to catch up a swimming dog without being mauled by their toenails in the process? If we ever need to fish them out, we want a secure, balanced handle. Also helps getting them back in the boat from the dink and up the ladder when we are on the hard. Other advantages include: increased visibility, insulation (like I said, they are island dogs and shiver when its below 80), and body armour for the inevitable bumps on a lumpy day.

After trying many brands, we stuck with "Outward Hound". They have alot of flotation, designed ergonomically so they aren't bulky. The belly is a full swath of neoprene, which distributes the load when we are hauling them about. And the hardwear is sturdy.

Here's a pick of the pups in pfds:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pfd dogs.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	3214  
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 06:34   #34

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Our mini dachshund also wears Outward Hound when we're underway, and I agree that it's a good design. Having the full belly neoprene is not only ergonomic, it also is more secure than the dual webbing straps I've seen on most canine PFDs.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 06:41   #35

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Would they be hotter? Like wearing your wet suit all day?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 09:13   #36

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Paws Aboard! The Best Dog Boat Ladder / Doggy Boat Ramp, Dog Life Jackets, Designer Pet Lifejackets and Ski Rope Leash
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 09:22   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

George-
"Would they be hotter? Like wearing your wet suit all day?"I take it you aren't a dog owner? Dogs don't sweat. Neoprene will insulate them, keeping their hotter (than ours) body tmeperature in, but keeping the hotter sunlight and heat out, whichever way it goes. Neoprene is a different matter for humans because it prevents us from evaporting sweat and cooling.
Dogs can only cool themselves by panting (think of it as sweating through the snout and mouth) or moving to a cooler place. That's why they are so good about moving around in and out of shade and sun.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 12:42   #38

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Hello: If you'll note some of my earlier posts you would realize I am owned by a dog.

True, they don't have sweat glands but their bodies do conduct heat just like the back of your neck. That's why owners of many long haired dogs give them "summer cuts."

When my dog has been exersizing and gets warm, where does he go? He lays on the cool stone of fireplace hearth (fire not on) instead of a soft warm carpet.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 09:51   #39

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
T

Use a dremel tool with the sanding drum for nails.
Brilliant!
I wouldn't say they enjoyed the Dremel experience, but didn't argue too much.

Our main problem with our two Labradors, Fidelio and Papagena, is how to haul their considerable bulk (not fat!) back on board, after a swim.
Too heavy without crane/harness.

Any advice will be appreciated -including about harness design.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 10:50   #40

Regarding Dremel tool: try the commercially available "PediPaw". Its essentially a dremel made specifically for dog toenails. Its alot quieter than your average dremel, so its better tolerated by Fido.

Regarding hauling big dogs out of the dink: Before owning the midsize models in the pic above, we had Golden Retrievers, the male weighing in at 90 lbs. We were a bit younger and in better shape then, but it was still hazardous to try to get them aboard solo. We could each do it if the sea was dead flat, no idiot was waking us, and the dog cooperated by standing on the bench of the dink with his hind legs and stretched his front legs up to the gunnel of the mother ship. (That often required "encouragement".) Then I could tell him "Up!" and he would jump while I gave him a boost on the bum/back of thighs. If it was anything less than ideal conditions, it was a two person project with one of us on the mother ship hauling up on his harness handle, the other in the dink giving the bum boost. It was enough of an ordeal that we decided to go for smaller models when the Goldens passed on.
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 15:21   #41

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
Thank you. Will look for PediPaw.

And also for Outward Hound flotation/harness kit.

As for feeling the cold, well Labradors seem to enjoy long swims and games in the water, even at 17 degrees C.

Labradors' hair, in particular, is a great insulator, of which they have at least two layers. Which is produced in industrial quantities...and shed...and shed....
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:43   #42

Boat: Alpha 42 #3
Hey All! Thanks for all the info on PDF's, etc for dogs, but what about their eyes? Does anybody use Doggles? Does anybody worry about UV and the effect on their dog's eyes?
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:51   #43

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Doggles?? Like these??
Actually, we didn't use them much. Shoes for the feet on really hot trails made a bit more sense for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Doggles cropped.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	8484  
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:00   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

krol, I suspect dogs don't need sunglasses. First because a dog eye is out there for maybe 15 years, not 85. It takes less cumulative damage. And dogs have a nictating membrane for exta protection. Then there eye is different as well. But yes, they do suffere cataracts (mainly from bad breeding) and other problems and there are veterinary ophthamologists out there too!

Doggles? Great idea if the dog wants to wear 'em.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:23   #45

Boat: Alpha 42 #3
Good point re the life time frame, Hello. I just called Max's Vet about this; he's been in practice (horses, then small animals) for 40 years and nobody's ever before asked the question. He's never heard of Doggles, but like you is of the opinion that, if the dog will wear them, he has to be more comfortable than taking the glare full on. The Vet's also going to consult with a canine opthomologist; when he gets back to me, I'll post the info.
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote