Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 14:34   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
No child support from him. I would have the courts on his back, and use that as leverage.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42   #17

I have been a "single-parent" for a 8 1/2 years. I say "single-parent" in that I am divorced and raise my son jointly with his mother, but we do not live together or parent together. We are on the same page about how to shape his character and foster his joy for life.

I thought I would join in on this discussion because it was my hope to take him on an boating adventure this summer and was looking for another family to sail with. Some people tell me it is a crazy idea, but I am not so sure. I know that, despite how much I love my son, I am not as fun as another child. We always bring friend's children along with us when we can because it makes for a more balanced relationship. This summer, the dream is to find a family cruising the Caribbean who might like to share the ride in exchange for service, maintance, or money, or all of the above.

I think this can happen, but people must be persuaded to look into who we are and what we have to offer. It would be an honour to share Luca with the right people because he is just awesome. No joke!

In the effort to help familiaarise ourselves with others, we developed a website that describes ourselves, our goals, and our expectations.

Please visit us @ www.gottalivethedream.com

The woman in the photos is my girfriend, she is part of the package too, and a 3rd grade teacher to boot.

We'de love to make this happen.

Feedback is appreciated!!!

John Dean, Luca Dean, & Kathryn Sawdon
www.gottalivethedream.com
johnkdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... You wouldn't need their father's permission to get them their US passports....
Special Passport Requirements for Minor Children

USA:
As of July 2, 2001, as provided by Public Law 106-113, Section 236, both parents are required to execute the passport application for a minor child under age 14. Please refer to our flyer U.S. Passport Applications for Children Under Age 14 for further information. If you believe that your child, no matter his or her age, may be abducted internationally, immediately contact the Office of Children's Issues and inform appropriate law enforcement officials. Information regarding the issuance of a passport to a minor is available to either parent, regardless of custody rights, as long as the requesting parents' rights have not been terminated.
PASSPORT ISSUANCE AND DENIAL TO MINORS INVOLVED IN CUSTODY DISPUTES
Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16

Australia:
It is a requirement of the Australian Passports Act 2005 that before a passport may be issued to a child (anyone under 18 years who has never married) the written consent of all people with parental responsibility for the child is needed...
In most cases people with parental responsibility are the natural parents named on the child's full birth certificate; their parental responsibility can only be removed by an Australian court.
Where a father is not named on a child's birth certificate but has formally acknowledged paternity by signing a document to this effect, he has parental responsibility for the purposes of the Australian Passports Act 2005 and is required to provide consent prior to issue of a passport.
https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Newppt/Consent.aspx

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50   #19

Boat: islandpacket
I was just going to add that I had to have my ex sign for my kids passports. They dont want one parent to leave the country with out the other parents consent. I think that would be kidnapping. IIRC
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I stand corrected - thank you for binging me up to speed, Gord and Badsanta. I wonder, in a situation such as FirePitt's, where the father is in another country and she cannot locate him, does that provide extenuating circumstances?

Actually, I doubt it, as that would be a far-too-easy way around the restriction. Thanks again for putting me straight.

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46   #21

Boat: islandpacket
Fire pit needs to give up here and go see an attorney or barrister in whatever country that presides over her situation. She has not provided enough infomation as vague as it is for anyone to make an intelligent comment on this. She needs real legal advice. Fire Pit does not want to become the bad guy. You can still cruse without leaving the country. My best wishes for her.
Old 27-01-2010, 20:21   #22

Boat: Albemarle, 27 - Largodelight
GO! Don't ask for permission, if challenged beg for forgiveness. I have taken my two daughters over many boarders (at least ten different countries) and I was never challenged until I was returning to the US. US Customs questioned my daughters because for some reason a father traveling with his daughters is strange. They only asked then if their mother knew we had left the country. All cool, I mean what are they going to do deny us return to our native land!
I now have full custody of my daughters so when we travel to foreign destinations, I carry a copy of my court docs naming me as the caretaker.
If you have a court doc, no matter the arrangement, carry it. It will get you through. They will not ask you to leave!
Take the kids! They will always thank you later, but they will thank you.
largodelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids