Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 15:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran
Cruising and live aboard with 4 kids. Is it possible?

Hello everyone!

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!!!

We’re family of 6: 2 adults and kids 12, 9, 3 and baby boy. Our dream to try cruising life style. We have been watching some videos and they look so inspirational!
We’d like to get the boat in this spring, spend some time sailing Florida Keys, Key West to have better experience. We know this area well because we have been there a lot of times when had our previous boat - the weekend cruiser 32
“ Regal express. And then to go further to the Bahamas on summer vacation.
But actually our biggest dream to travel around the world... but how it possible with kids school age? There are a lot of doubts for us.
If you have this experience we would be glad to hear your story.
It’s so difficult to make up our mind to the first step. Which was yours? It’s so big responsibility for the future of children. What were your first difficulties and how did you solve them?
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 15:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruising and live aboard with 4 kids. Is it possible?

Really, it depends on all the people involved. Cruising isn't for everyone. In your case, with a baby, there will be extra burdens on you as skipper (the only other adult aboard will be doing child care when the baby's awake) and on the mother, usually, who gets stuck with the child care, and misses out on the fun stuff.

There are good home schooling programs, who will bear the burden of being the teacher? That person cannot adequately be a watch keeper during the education hours, and especially with the baby needing time, at the same time as the other 3. Do you guys feel good about being the teacher? 12 is almost into the teens, and good education will mean more difficult subjects to teach.

Are you all pretty independent?

Obviously, the above is a bit simplistic and depends on stereotypes. The success of the venture will largely depend on how much fun the endeavor is for both the adults, and on how all the children's varying needs are met.

Ann
Old 31-12-2017, 05:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

You may want to watch the Youtube channel Sailing Zatara. Family of 6 travelling around the world on a Beneteau 55. 4 kids ages 10,11,14and 16. The mother had a recent video on boat schooling. I emailed the father with a question and he responded within 1 week.
Best of luck
Jspla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 05:41   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

We have been cruising 24 months as a family of five (kids are 10,9,7). It can absolutely be done. Do a google search on "Sailing Totem". They are a family of five that have spent the last 9 years going around the world. Their oldest is now 17 and they are headed back to the US to drop him off for college.

HOWEVER.. With that being said. Cruising is not for everyone. For every family like Totem, there are 5 others that didn't make it past 1 year. Its not that they "failed", but they got out here and realized cruising isn't what they thought it would be.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 06:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising and live aboard with 4 kids. Is it possible?

Sure it can be and is being done by families.. some of the nicest and best grounded kids I've met have been raised on boats.. the advantages in my point of view far exceed the perceived disadvantages that will be put to you by your friends and relatives when you discuss your dream/ambition with them.
But.. as has been said.. the liveaboard life is not for everyone.. a boat is a small space and privacy is at a premium.. this is where a roomy catamaran will definitely be the best option.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 07:59   #6

Boat: 53' Cutter

Of course it is possible. It all depends on the total dedication of the family involved, the overwhelming desire to solve personal problems together, and the knowledge to realize that all perceived obstacles are nothing more than opportunities to grow.

Too many people set themselves up for failure because they do not believe in themselves or their desires. They ask negative questions: "Can I...?", "What if...?", "I don't...?", or worse, they make negative statements: "I can't...", "but my family does not agree..."

Anyone can find a reason not to do something, or why something will not work. Only the strong willed can push beyond the barriers of society, normalcy bias, personal beliefs, and self-doubt.

If you do not think you can do it, then failure is your future. But if you KNOW that you can do it, then look forward to great success, because you are the type of person to overcome and persevere in the face of adversity.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 08:07   #7
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

My neighbors in the marina out here in San Diego have two young kids who look like they are maybe 9 and 7. So, it is a boat of 4 people, and they seem to be doing okay. But what do I know?! Maybe they are miserable and constantly frustrated by lack of privacy, constant boat repairs, not many other kids around, and so on. The dad told me they have been stuck here since July without sailing due to work on the boat, and life getting in the way with the kids.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 08:19   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

All the children we ever met that grew up on boats were so incredibly nice and independent that we decided we wanted ours to grow up cruising too. Not only can it be done, but it should be, in my humble opinion. Don’t let anyone disuade you. For all the practical questions there is a facebook group called kids4sail.
(A catamaran is nice but you get a lot more for your money with a big monohull. If your budget doesn’t permit 200k for the initial purchase price then you’ll have to choose a monohull anyway. That’s about the minimum price for a small used catamaran.)
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 08:34   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

I think you’d be nuts to try but if not and you did try you’d soon be nuts.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 08:34   #10
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
All the children we ever met that grew up on boats were so incredibly nice and independent that we decided we wanted ours to grow up cruising too. Not only can it be done, but it should be, in my humble opinion. Don’t let anyone disuade you. For all the practical questions there is a facebook group called kids4sail.
(A catamaran is nice but you get a lot more for your money with a big monohull. If your budget doesn’t permit 200k for the initial purchase price then you’ll have to choose a monohull anyway. That’s about the minimum price for a small used catamaran.)
If I were a kid, I would want to be on a boat and cruising the world.
I completely agree about the catamaran cost!
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 09:02   #11

The Regal Express is a power boat, I believe? Do you have any experience in sailing vessels that you can use as a jumping off point?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 09:19   #12

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I regret not having dragged my kids aboard and leaving. We waited until they were gone, and since then I have met many cruising kids, and 97.6% of them seemed better adjusted and happier than my kids seemed to me. Of course I may have been a terrible parent, and it would have seemed worse if we were stuck on a boat together. The cruising kids we meet though do not have cell phones in their hands 24/7, and that is probably a big plus in their being interested in the world at large, and creating their own happiness not reliant on how many "friends" they have in the cyber world, or whether their meals are worthy of posting. Go now, in my opinion, before the 12 year old thinks it will ruin his or her life to be dragged away from their friends.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 10:23   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Sailing with Totem was mentioned as an exemplary cruising family...

They also published a book: Voyaging with Kids in case that is of interest...

I, too, have met many cruising kids over the years, and they have all been way ahead of their land based peers...

I also know a few now as young adults with their own careers. Magnificent individuals all...

Best wishes deciding what is best for you and your family.

Cheers! Bill
Old 31-12-2017, 10:30   #14

Have a look at the uTube "Justin Page". Family sailed extensively with kids on board a Discovery 55 Miss Behaving. Some really good videos available, just keep scrolling to find them.
Orinoco Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:21   #15

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Here's what I think as a grandmother who earlier thought about liveaboard sailing with a baby. Even though I have a masters degree, I didn't feel competent to be a teacher for my child. I simply did not want to risk his future.

I also think a three year old is a big deal parenting job by itself and I can't imagine doing it with a baby and two older children with their own needs. I would think that the caregiver (probably the mother) would find the responsibility overwhelming and nerve-wracking on a boat. Perhaps the older kids can share the caregiving, but only you know if that is likely.

There is a lot of optimism on this thread, which I respect as good intentions. However, I am offering a counter-point and would say that your concerns are warranted.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, kids