Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2021, 20:51   #1
cruiser

Boat: 2017
Cruisers, please support the kids.

I have family in the provinces of Cebu and visit often. I know of an old (grumpy!) Ozzie bloke who was there visiting many years ago also and who's wife pleaded with him to sponsor four destitute kids through the six years of secondary school. He grizzled and complained but eventually agreed provided he could meet the kids with their parents over lunch to make sure they were 'fair dinkum'!.
Old grumpy was his usual self at the lunch until he asked one very happy kid "why are you so happy and laughing" She replied "because now I have a uniform too" She didn't want to be better, but just like the others! Well old grizzle guts melted with misty eyes. He now sponsors 24 kids at the Panalipan school through secondary and some on to uni.

The reason I posted this is as a plea for those cruising less fortunate parts of the world to do what you can for the kids, A few dollars of support can totally change their lives. Just go to the local school and they will welcome any support for the kids you can give. Thanks.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 22:38   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Cruisers, please support the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
I have family in the provinces of Cebu and visit often. I know of an old (grumpy!) Ozzie bloke who was there visiting many years ago also and who's wife pleaded with him to sponsor four destitute kids through the six years of secondary school. He grizzled and complained but eventually agreed provided he could meet the kids with their parents over lunch to make sure they were 'fair dinkum'!.
Old grumpy was his usual self at the lunch until he asked one very happy kid "why are you so happy and laughing" She replied "because now I have a uniform too" She didn't want to be better, but just like the others! Well old grizzle guts melted with misty eyes. He now sponsors 24 kids at the Panalipan school through secondary and some on to uni.

The reason I posted this is as a plea for those cruising less fortunate parts of the world to do what you can for the kids, A few dollars of support can totally change their lives. Just go to the local school and they will welcome any support for the kids you can give. Thanks.
Louie, does " old grizzle guts" approve of outing him?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 04:58   #3
cruiser

Boat: 2017
Re: Cruisers, please support the kids.

You've got me Bob, just hope he doesn't notice.
Got to say though that his helping these kids has been great for him, he has received a lot back from them and I'm sure he has mellowed because of it.

Four enter and four leave the plan each year after completing their six years and some get to go on to college for a further four years if good enough. One has since graduated college in criminology to achieve her dream of becoming a police officer with PNP another graduated in hotel management and has been with a major Cebu restaurant for the last two years.

They are treated like an uncle and aunty by these appreciating kids.

Anyone helping these kids will be well rewarded as it means a lot to them and their family and costs so little, but only interact with the kids with their parents present.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, kids, lease