Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 13:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Comfort issues - shoe storage.

I do not want to put it into the "Feel of safety, feel of comfort" thread, as I want to start asking very detailed questions (not only to Ladies)

My wife point of view is that all the storage on boat should be organised in the way: all different things should have they own, dedicated and purposefully built place.
So, for example, we have the separate shelved locker built to store the spare linen and towels (we carry quite a lot of this)
We have also two (Her and mine) dedicated shelved locker for shoes.
Her has one shelf higher, to accomodate high heels
We have the same space alloted for our personal belongings, so effectively Her storage is more generous - I'm the bigger one
My shoe locker is good for six pairs of shoes. She can squeez nine pairs (three high-heeled included), as She has much slimmer feet than me

While discussing the design of the boat I'm involved into (75 ft. cruiser) my Dearest insisted that shoe storages for such a boat should be as follow:
  1. Owners cabin - 12 pairs per person (I imagine that 12 pairs for average man means 16 pairs for average woman - let it be...)
  2. Children/youngsters cabin - 8 pairs per person
  3. Gust cabins - 6 pairs per person
  4. All shoe storage arranged in dedicated drawers, not lockers.
My own opinion was that it is kind of an overkill, but all comments are welcomed.

Now we are starting to disscuss the hanging and shelved lockers, so I probably will be back quite sooon....

Best regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 14:13   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Comfort issues - shoe storage.

Learn to wear womens clothing and you'll save loads of space.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 14:16   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Learn to wear womens clothing and you'll save loads of space.
High heels? I'm too heavy, I'm afraid
Old 22-01-2014, 15:07   #4

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I don’t think the number of shoes should be equally divided, when it come to cloths, personal apparel and shoes the male gets what space the female does not use. 16 pairs mean 13 pairs for her and 3 for you. Even 14 pairs is very limiting.

I have about 30 pairs, but some of them are in storage boxes until I need them. Summer/warm weather shoes are in storage box under the bed, so only the winter/cold weather pairs are out. We use the unused space in hanging closet, two draws, and storage boxes under the bed that are no worn on a regular bases. At any one time I have at least 6 pair laying around the boat, pilot house, stern deck, salon, stateroom. So the question is how many in total and how many will be worn on a regular bases.

Cloths space should be about the same, what every she does no use, is yours? Might want to think about a separate storage/hanging walk in closet for her. We convert the 4th small stateroom for the storage hanging closet, or better yet a shoe room just for her. My wife and I can wear some of the same size cloths so we borrow which expands our wardrobe.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 15:17   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I must be doing something wrong. Can't think of any reason for more than 3 per person.

And high heels? On a boat? Hmmm... must be supermodels for photo shots...

Or maybe Europe is just so very different from around here...

-Chris
Old 22-01-2014, 15:40   #6

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I do not want to put it into the "Feel of safety, feel of comfort" thread, as I want to start asking very detailed questions (not only to Ladies)

My wife point of view is that all the storage on boat should be organised in the way: all different things should have they own, dedicated and purposefully built place.
So, for example, we have the separate shelved locker built to store the spare linen and towels (we carry quite a lot of this)
We have also two (Her and mine) dedicated shelved locker for shoes.
Her has one shelf higher, to accomodate high heels
We have the same space alloted for our personal belongings, so effectively Her storage is more generous - I'm the bigger one
My shoe locker is good for six pairs of shoes. She can squeez nine pairs (three high-heeled included), as She has much slimmer feet than me

While discussing the design of the boat I'm involved into (75 ft. cruiser) my Dearest insisted that shoe storages for such a boat should be as follow:
  1. Owners cabin - 12 pairs per person (I imagine that 12 pairs for average man means 16 pairs for average woman - let it be...)
  2. Children/youngsters cabin - 8 pairs per person
  3. Gust cabins - 6 pairs per person
  4. All shoe storage arranged in dedicated drawers, not lockers.
My own opinion was that it is kind of an overkill, but all comments are welcomed.

Now we are starting to disscuss the hanging and shelved lockers, so I probably will be back quite sooon....

Best regards

Tomasz
Wifey B Speaking as hubby said I could handle this one....hehe

Omg dude. Are you obsessing over this? Or actually maybe she's the one obsessing. Ok, the dedicated space, I sort of have to agree with as my hubby would quickly point out that's far more efficient. Plus if you don't agree to it, you may find her with 50 pairs of shoes and you space for 1 pair. How much space for each item probably starts with what you'd both really like and then ends with some compromise. I mean some of it doesn't make sense as I wear a lot less than he does but take more space, but then I have to have so many choices with me. Actually when we married, my hubby even worked out a spreadsheet of all the storage areas we had and then we figured it out from there. Not a bad idea on a boat. This is the space. This is what we have. This is what we don't have space for. But it has to adapt to preferences too. I have to have tennies to match my outfits. Silly, perhaps. But part of my style. And heels on a boat. Yep. Go out to dinner and I have to wear heels. Go well with short skirts, I think. I don't wear them till off the boat though.

Now, frankly, you're sort of lucky. I don't know any men who get as much closet or drawer space as their wives, so I'd probably like drop the "I'm bigger" part. But both probably going to have to surrender some of what they'd like to have on a boat. One thing for her to keep in mind is that if you're cruising for a month it's not around the same people so outfits can be repeated more. Also you'll have to figure out the priority items to go in the main closets and other items to go elsewhere. Maybe those less common items go under a bed that raises. Are you going to put stuff in the other staterooms or leave those completely open for guests?

Let me assure you space for clothes isn't going to be the big issue. Less than maybe at home. Everything else will. Cookware. Small electrics. If you fish, that crap surely will become a space issue. Water toys. Toiletries. Spare toiletries for all those brands you can't get or that are hypo expensive on the cruise. I suspect she requires much more makeup than you....I surely hope...hehe. Linens are big and you'll probably find you have to have less and wash more frequently. Then gadgets. All the other things you have at home. Oh and coats and sweaters which you don't need often but might some. Those favorite foods and spices that you might not find on the water.

So as to who needs what space, I can't decide but I know I could always talk my hubby into giving me a little more. We women have our ways. As to the organization, the less the available space the more critical that will be. You don't have room on a boat just to put stuff "whereva". You're both going to have to learn to live with less than you want too.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 16:28   #7

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I must be doing something wrong. Can't think of any reason for more than 3 per person.

And high heels? On a boat? Hmmm...

Well, Chris, you even know me "IRL" and I'll admit there are only 4 pair I'm usually wearing in heavy rotation, depending on season, plus running shoes, but I can run down a dock in high heels and I still like to go out and fem it up at times or have business suit and heels type meetings on occasion. And although I parted with more shoes than I kept, I made hard choices to get down to the rather ridiculous 40-ish pair I still have. I think what you'll have in type and quantity depends on whether this is your full time forever home and all shoes come with, or this is vacation cruising, where I'd think a half-dozen pair are a lot.

I have one of those linear hanging organizers full plus have shoes sort of stacked in storage cubbies behind the dinette. Most important thing is good ventilation so they don't get mildew!
Old 22-01-2014, 16:40   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

12 pairs PER PERSON!!!!!! how do you use so many shoes. in my life i never had more than 5 pairs at a time. and i made 50-90k. jeez
my birkies live under my bed. my deck shoes are bare feets. my uggs are in forepčak stowed with warmies i dont really need so much anymore. heels??ogawdno.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 17:02   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
12 pairs PER PERSON!!!!!! how do you use so many shoes. in my life i never had more than 5 pairs at a time. .

But you'd look so cute in some nice stilettos! With a matching whip

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 20:41   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

My 90 year old father has a saying, "If Hilda's happy I'm happy".

I never listened to dad. He's still married, I'm not. :-)
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 21:06   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I know That I go bare foot a lot more then most folks, but I don't think Ive owned 12 pairs of shoes in the last 20 years !! Just how many types of shoes can ya wear on a boat ?? I don't even allow high heels aboard my boats !! even on our steel Colvin !!!
Old 22-01-2014, 21:51   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

With total allowance of 38 pairs of shoes (64 pieces) you are seriously cutting in to spare parts and consumable storage.
The reality is that shoes stored on board need to be used often or they go moldy.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 23:18   #13

Boat: Various

Wifey B again.....

Look, shoes don't come before critical supplies like engine parts and redundancy. Mostly you should just settle on the space to be used for clothing and turn it over to the woman and she'll figure out how to use it. My man has lots of shoes but he'd have like one or two pairs if it wasn't for me encouraging them.

As to moldy and stuff, there are ways. Keep mold away stuff in the closet or drawers. Vacuum pack those you don't wear regularly. Now, while I have like tons of shoes, I decided since we're on a boat right now in the midst of three weeks, to check and see what we both have on board. He has 1 pair of dress shoes, 3 pairs of deck shoes, 3 pairs of tennis shoes. I have 3 pairs of heels (no, I don't wear the heels on the boat), 4 pairs of deck shoes, 4 pairs of tennis shoes. My feet aren't huge like his so not like mine take up much room. All those shoes only take up half a shelf for me and half one for him in his closet. Shoes are small. It's jackets and coats and rain gear that takes space. That's where you control your impulses. And sweaters. It's like bikinis vs. sweat suits.

Now linens-sheets, towels, blankets, quilts, comforters...that takes space. Just towels used on deck are an outrageous number. That's where you can easily get way out of control unless you commit to do a lot of laundry and do it frequently or reuse the same a bunch which is really yucky. And Galley and dining cabinets are challenging.

An enormous thing for us is bottled water. For a three week trip with two crew, 2 of us and 1 or two guests we brought 15 cases of 24 bottles each. Now we're low on soft drinks cause hubby and I don't drink them, just bottled water.

As to pantry and consumables and such, you plan a trip for 3 months and then figure out where all the toilet tissue is going. Paper towels or dish and wipe towels that you can wash? Do you stock your pantry with all potential needs or do you do a bit of planning and stock accordingly?

Lots of other things to decide among too. We have waterway guides and such stuff but no other books on board. A few hundred kindle is more than enough. If we need to read paper we can do that at home.

Now, the "No Overflow" rule. Ok, we made this up but it helps. The items that belong in bedrooms at home belong in staterooms. Clothes are limited by the space. Make it freaking work. So the boat size does control it. No cheating. No shoes in the lazarette. Toiletries in the heads. That's where the OP's wife is on target as long as she doesn't start moving shoes into the pantry. And if you need to make things more usable by adding shelves, like closet stuff or like shelves or cabinets in the Lazarette or engine room or using shoe box type containers under the head cabinets, then do that as it will really pay off. But treat the engine room and the pilothouse as sacred. Oh and don't start crudding up the crew area with owner and guest crap either.

And this should be obvious but no hard suitcases, all soft and foldable and duffle and even better none. That's right. We don't have suitcases for us on board. We carried the stuff on and took them back. We do use these mesh foldable laundry baskets for everything too. Can carry stuff on and off in them since they weigh like nothing. Use them for laundry. You name it they're great for because they're light and they fold into nearly nothing. One more handy little thing to have too. These storage bags for clothes and linen that vacuum deflate and seal. They cut the space of bulky items to like a third. Then to use the item, you just open. To reseal you just pack in and take the vacuum and suck the air out again. Any vacuum with an attachment will work.

Ok, enough of me playing Heloise for the night....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 00:22   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Double Whisky,

^^^^As said above, allot storage space per cabin; allow the occupants thereof to decide the fine points of storage.

It so much depends on the people. Do they wear hiking shoes for long walks? Do they want warm fuzzy slippers for cold mornings? Do they prefer sandals for some uses? Cross-trainers? Have they special needs like orthotics? How about Fisherman's or sea boots? Let alone dress shoes (and some variety therein) for special nights ashore.

Ann
Old 23-01-2014, 01:46   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
With total allowance of 38 pairs of shoes (64 pieces) you are seriously cutting in to spare parts and consumable storage.
The reality is that shoes stored on board need to be used often or they go moldy.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Very good argument for ladies, I suppose

Tags
storage