Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 11:38   #1

Christmas for little cruisers?

We are planning on embarking in 2016. To that end, we are trying to accumulate NO MORE STUFF. I'm looking for Christmas gift ideas for my kids, who are 11 (boy) and 10 (girl).

Also, does anyone have a gaming system (Wii, PS4 or Xbox) on their boat? I'd love to hear about that!
Christi191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:39   #2

Re: Christmas for little cruisers?

I deal with a lot of retirees for work, and they all said that he one thing they never regretted spending money on was travel.

Have them plan the whole trip!

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:44   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi191 View Post
we are trying to accumulate NO MORE STUFF. I'm looking for Christmas gift ideas for my kids, who are 11 (boy) and 10 (girl).
If you want wrappable gifts, this is going to be tough

But you could give them something they can eat (maybe a set to bake cookies, and then actually bake and eat them?) or some clothes if they need something replaced ... or a fun day out to somewhere they'd love to go (avoid the gift shops tho!).
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:12   #4

Yeah, good point! I don't think it needs to be wrapped, per se. And we've been focusing more on experiences in the last few years anyway. I love the idea of baking something - I'll find a good sugar cookie recipe.
Christi191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 19:01   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My 10 year old daughter says "survival kit!" But actually I know she wants a good fishing pole. Its not too big and it comes with the anticipation of something really BIG happening. That has trumped video games for me so far.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:02   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Being part of the planning is always big for my kids. We aren't liveaboard yet:-) but for family vacations we show them the options and pick as a family. They love it and it makes it enjoyable for everyone. Great family bonding.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:44   #7

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

My boys are 11 and 9 but we don't live aboard. We do spend at least three weeks a year underway and are on the boat every other weekend.

My 9 year old has had the past three birthdays on the boat thanks to an early August birthday and our annual long boat trip falling between July and August.

At this age, and with their experience on the water both of them tend to gravitate towards the practical outdoors type of stuff. My 11 year old got a cast net and a new larger fishing pole for his recent birthday while my 9 year old got sunglasses, a few shirts and a new pair of Reef flip flops.

What they really get is the freedom to explore and to learn at their own pace. The photo below shows my then 7 year old on the dinghy playing with a manatee.

We regretfully have a Wii on the boat too. The 9 year old really loves to play it (Lego Star Wars) but we have to limit the time just like anything else electronic.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:59   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Am I the only one who LOVE my pocket knife? Not only could I whittle with it, it was a right of passage.

We don't have kids, but we have do have siblings with 6 or more kids each. When we originally combined families, we made them each a gingerbread person. As the families grew and we moved aboard, we switched to experience based gifts for the whole family. Last year, we got one family a game that everyone could participate in, even the 8yo with the reading skills of a 5yo; one family got a membership to the local zoo (the only thing local I could find that allowed for a family with so many kids!); and the third family got a parking pass to a local park with tons of activities, but a $10 per car entrance fee.

There are many lists out there about this kind of gifting. Some of the suggestions that stand out in my mind:
-lessons for a new (or developing) skill. diving, swimming, music, painting, whatever your child is interested in.
-summer camp along the same lines
-an outing to an art camp/store/etc., like painting pottery
-if they are into animals, a gift to WWF, Heifers International, or another animal based charity; you can also name a star after your child, if they are into astronomy, etc.
-a folding bike (OK, I made that one up myself)
-theater/ballet/concert tickets - even season tickets or a membership, as mentioned above
Old 25-11-2015, 13:37   #9
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Our littlies are now all grandchildren, but our experience (and the purchases of some of our 'crew' with littlies) point to these suggestions for the OP...

A pen ... Handcrafted Wood Pens, Floating Impressions

Mask, snorkel & fins ... NINGALOO Youth Mask Snorkel & Fin Set, Floating Impressions

Flameless candles ... ENJOY Flameless Candles, Floating Impressions

Small jewelry ... Evoll Nautical Jewellery, Floating Impressions

A fun t-shirt ... Nauti Threads, Floating Impressions

Fair winds!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 13:50   #10

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Thanks for getting me going on my own shopping!
Old 29-11-2015, 09:23   #11

If they love to read, get them both a kindle paperwhite, and load it with lots of books to read when you leave.

Snorkeling gear, stinger suit, puzzles, or an app for puzzles, really, just tailor what you buy and bring to their interests. Remember to stow away holiday and birthday supplies if they happen while you are out cruising.

We have a 4 1/2 on board, so he has books, school items, art/craft supplies, legos, and a kindle for little ones. Oh yes, some Octonauts and magnetic building set. We also have a DVD library on board, too. We have him help us whenever possible.

Good luck!

Tags
christmas, cruise, cruiser