Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 10:31   #91

Re: Cats in General

If any of you cat lovers haven't seen this yet

Check THIS out...
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:48   #92

Sorry 'bout that, video was of the cat that beat the living crap out of the dog that was attacking the little boy... all over the News today anyway.

Google "cat saves boy from dog" - a dozen people uploaded it, I had to choose the one tosser who uploaded and then removed it.

Sorry again.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 16:50   #93

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

That was one protective cat! And an aggressive dog. Good for the cat!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 19:15   #94
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks to all you knowlegeable cat lovers

This has been a great thread and has inspired me to get another boat cat (after many years) now that I am retired from working offshore.

My last cat was a calico that I lost overboard one night off Mexico..... She just loved to chase flying fish.

Felt so guilty couldn't bear to risk it again..

General questions:
1...Which breed handles the heat of the Tropics best?
2... Male or female? Which has best boat temperament?
3.... Since we have a house also...Best age to introduce cat to boat?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 03:27   #95

I can't offer much about questions one or two, although I suppose a short-hair would be better than a long-hair. Also, I've always had Siamese and they are very sociable--meaning one might need a buddy.

As far as age goes, we took our 6-year old Siamese female with us when we moved aboard; it was not a success. She was quite nervous when I moved her onto the boat in the marina even though she'd just handled transcontinental flights & apartment moves with only curiosity. She hung out as far forward in the v-berth as possible. With time, she became comfortable in port. BUT see my earlier post #72 in this thread for what happened when we went sailing. It was really bad!

We tried everything to get her comfortable with sailing but nothing worked apart from walking her up the hill to a friend's apartment any time we wanted to leave port. I asked a lot of questions afterward & the general consensus was that cats do fine on a boat if they are introduced to it young, but taking an older cat on board was rarely successful.

Good luck with a new kitty. IMHO, a house (or boat) without a cat is not a home.
Old 16-05-2014, 07:04   #96

Boat: Beneteau 473

Pelagic, I don't really know if temperament, sex or age make a difference with cats when moving aboard. I think we got really lucky, we moved aboard and started cruising in the Caribbean nearly two years ago with our two house cats. Both are long hair females, Lilly is a calico and was 16 at the time. Chloe is a seal point Ragdoll and was 6. Both have adjusted amazingly well.

Lilly (now 18) suffered from seasickness in the beginning but seems to have gotten her sea legs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400247032.227226.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	81396
Her first sail ... We were so worried we started to question whether cruising was the right thing to do.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400247492.160515.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	81399
Her last passage. We use these bins to store spare parts and future projects. This one was empty because we had just installed our new autopilot.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400247938.540815.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	81404

Chloe (now 8) doesn't get seasick but definitely gets nervous on passages.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400248210.283351.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	81406
This is her preferred way to spend a passage, being under the pillows is key but we do not know why. After nearly chasing a flying fish overboard early one morning, she is now required to wear her harness and tether when in the cockpit. Neither is allowed above deck after dark.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400248469.018736.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	81409

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400248493.340242.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	81410

The hair can be a pain. We get them shaved in June every year, but they both seem to tolerate the heat better than we do. I think the fact that both were house only cats helped a lot, neither seem to have a desire to leave the boat even when we are at a marina., being females probably helps too Our lives are so much richer for having their companionship, I can't imagine cruising without them.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 11:25   #97

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We've thought about shaving one of ours, mainly to cut down on the shedding. Our male loves to roam the marina, the female does not.
Has anyone had a cat fall overboard more frequently at night vs day? Our cats are all over the boat at night including up on the stack pack 12-14' above the water! But only one has fallen in and it was during the day.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 12:53   #98

I'd be cautious about shaving them. You'd need to leave enough hair so they wouldn't sunburn. Their ears can easily sunburn too. I've heard about putting sunscreen on their ears, but I'd be cautious about that too given the ingredients in sunscreen.

PS, pretty girls SmartMove!
Old 16-05-2014, 16:34   #99

Cats in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I'd be cautious about shaving them. You'd need to leave enough hair so they wouldn't sunburn. Their ears can easily sunburn too. I've heard about putting sunscreen on their ears, but I'd be cautious about that too given the ingredients in sunscreen.

PS, pretty girls SmartMove!

We leave 1/2" of hair on their body. We don't have their tail or mane shaved.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400283205.067049.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	81442
They actually look pretty cute. It makes for a lot less work on the boat and resets the hairball clock!

EDIT: We are a lot more careful with Lilly in the sun, being the fair girl that she is.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 16-05-2014, 18:42   #100

Boat: Beneteau 461

One of my cats is flame point Siamese, very white and pink ears. My vet told us that any time we apply sunscreen we should do his ears as well, with baby sunscreen.
SailSummerWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:05   #101

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

We sail with 2 Persians. They have been sailing with us for a couple of years and are 3 and 4 years old. They really do very well and like SmartMove said, we clip them every June but leave 1/2 inch of coat. (BTW, SM, your Ragdoll is beautiful!) They are also indoor only house cats, so I think that is why they are happy on our boat. They stay down below while underway and at night. They are tethered in the cockpit if we are up on deck, but only during the day.

Persians have a really laid back personality and seem very relaxed about the whole thing. I don't think it matters if a kitty is a boy or girl. It just depends on the individual and the owners attitude.

Here's a shot of Emily. You can see how excited she gets.

angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 22:33   #102

Boat: Chrysler 22

Excellent thread! My buddy Cujo is a total landlubber. I haven't tried hosting him on my most recent purchase, 1975 Chrysler 22. He's vocal as hell on land, so I imagine he would be even louder on the water. Click image for larger version

Name:	1402723828471.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	83030

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sea_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 22:56   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
We sail with 2 Persians. They have been sailing with us for a couple of years and are 3 and 4 years old. They really do very well and like SmartMove said, we clip them every June but leave 1/2 inch of coat. (BTW, SM, your Ragdoll is beautiful!) They are also indoor only house cats, so I think that is why they are happy on our boat. They stay down below while underway and at night. They are tethered in the cockpit if we are up on deck, but only during the day.

Persians have a really laid back personality and seem very relaxed about the whole thing. I don't think it matters if a kitty is a boy or girl. It just depends on the individual and the owners attitude.

Here's a shot of Emily. You can see how excited she gets.

What a cutie Emily is!

Chloe thanks you for the compliment! However, being Chloe, it has gone to her head and we mere mortals are now having to wait on her hand and foot, lol!

The nice thing about Lilly (a Maine Coon mix) and Chloe (a Ragdoll) is that even though they have long hair it is not the matting type. They take very little grooming on our part. However, I do brush them everyday just because they like it and I like the bonding time.

We get them shaved for two reasons: (1) to keep them cooler in the Caribbean summer and (2) to cut down on the amount of shedding. Even though I vacuum every day a lot of hair can go into the bilge. In addition, Chloe is really sensitive and once she starts shedding the hair balls start flying fast and furious, lol (or maybe yuck)!
Old 16-06-2014, 12:47   #104

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
What a cutie Emily is!

Chloe thanks you for the compliment! However, being Chloe, it has gone to her head and we mere mortals are now having to wait on her hand and foot, lol!

The nice thing about Lilly (a Maine Coon mix) and Chloe (a Ragdoll) is that even though they have long hair it is not the matting type. They take very little grooming on our part. However, I do brush them everyday just because they like it and I like the bonding time.

We get them shaved for two reasons: (1) to keep them cooler in the Caribbean summer and (2) to cut down on the amount of shedding. Even though I vacuum every day a lot of hair can go into the bilge. In addition, Chloe is really sensitive and once she starts shedding the hair balls start flying fast and furious, lol (or maybe yuck)!
I love the photo of Chloe on your cabin top. She is beautiful! And Lilly! How amazing that she is such an old gal and doing so well sailing with y'all.

I comb and brush every day, also, because it is a relaxing time for all of us. They purr and almost fall asleep. I stroke them as I groom them. Yes, long hair in bilge pumps is a bad thing. I like to keep their hair short during sailing season because of that.

For hair balls, I give them Laxatone once a week and that seems to do the trick. We haven't had any problems for a very long time.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 20:35   #105

Boat: 35ft Ericson Sailboat

My cat Pepper, short haired black cat has been on our sailboat for a year now. At first we didn't think it was going to work out, cuz she would puke. She has adjusted just fine now, but goes nuts around 5am everyday.. Must be her hunting hour runs from quarter berth to v-berth like 10 times. Usually pounces us out of our deep sleep...she loves to be up high so she jumps up on the starboard side window sill and looks out. When were under way she sits in the cockpit with us. This cat fears nothing... Not even swans. Ps don't know how this photo became upside down ...maybe an admin can fix it?

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	83585
Sea Godss2u is offline   Reply With Quote