Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 08:52   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian Tax benefit Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
The physical residency requirement for OHIP coverage to remain in effect is that you must be in Ontario for 5 months in any 12 month period. As I mentioned above you can get a two year once in a lifetime exemption which actually works out to 2 years seven months if you want.
Actually, this has now changed somewhat. Ontario now allows you to take extended “vacation” absences multiple times. As I read it, you can renew the 2-year option by becoming an actual resident for five (5) years between your two-year extended absences.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...nces_fs_en.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
You're right they do not know one's comings and goings but it leaves the door wide open for claims to be denied by OHIP or a private out of country provider. Do you really want to take the chance.
This issue has been flagged by the snowbird community for some years now. The sense is that while OHIP doesn’t currently “know” if you’ve actually achieved your residency requirements, this will likely change in the near future. A clear digital record is now generated every time we cross most international borders. This makes it possible to know where you’ve been, and more importantly, how long you’ve been in your home province.

It certainly more difficult to track internal travel within Canada, but crossing an international border now creates a digital marker that is trackable (even though it probably isn’t being tracked at this point).
Old 23-04-2019, 10:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Actually, this has now changed somewhat. Ontario now allows you to take extended “vacation” absences multiple times. As I read it, you can renew the 2-year option by becoming an actual resident for five (5) years between your two-year extended absences.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...nces_fs_en.pdf

This issue has been flagged by the snowbird community for some years now. The sense is that while OHIP doesn’t currently “know” if you’ve actually achieved your residency requirements, this will likely change in the near future. A clear digital record is now generated every time we cross most international borders. This makes it possible to know where you’ve been, and more importantly, how long you’ve been in your home province.

It certainly more difficult to track internal travel within Canada, but crossing an international border now creates a digital marker that is trackable (even though it probably isn’t being tracked at this point).
The subsequent longer vacations after 5 years had changed. Thanks for the update.

It is my understanding that at some point, at least with US Customs, the information of entry into a foreign country will be shared with the Canadian Government for ground travel. It is already shared in the case of air travel. Regardless, I think it's a foolish risk to take, to bet that OHIP will not find out.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 11:50   #18

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

I do land crossings A LOT and the US border guards scan my passport but the Canadians just look at it and hand it back..... things that make you go hummmm????
Old 24-04-2019, 18:38   #19

Dont forget the Carbon tax rebate.
barcoo is offline   Reply With Quote