Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 21:29   #1

Can I take my pet for a adventurous trip?

Hi there,
Is it possible to take the pets along with us for the trip? We are going for an adventurous trip to Montreal from the Boston on the Blount cruise line in the next week. Here is the itinerary of our travel https://www.blountsmallshipadventure...l/default.aspx, it is 16 days trip. In the beginning, we don't have the plan to bring the pet, Max (a dog) with us but my younger daughter wants him for the travel. I tried my best to understand her the situation but she is crying for 2 days and can't see her in such a situation. She is not a destructive nature, calm and quite and she cries without making a noise. It really worried us. So I promised her to take the Max along with us but I hadn't informed about it in the cruise line. Do I need to inform in the cruise line? Can I take him for the travel? Are there any policies or rules for bringing the pets? Please reply me.
LizKarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 22:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Can I take my pet for a adventurous trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizKarin View Post
Hi there,
Is it possible to take the pets along with us for the trip? We are going for an adventurous trip to Montreal from the Boston on the Blount cruise line in the next week. Here is the itinerary of our travel https://www.blountsmallshipadventure...l/default.aspx, it is 16 days trip. In the beginning, we don't have the plan to bring the pet, Max (a dog) with us but my younger daughter wants him for the travel. I tried my best to understand her the situation but she is crying for 2 days and can't see her in such a situation. She is not a destructive nature, calm and quite and she cries without making a noise. It really worried us. So I promised her to take the Max along with us but I hadn't informed about it in the cruise line. Do I need to inform in the cruise line? Can I take him for the travel? Are there any policies or rules for bringing the pets? Please reply me.

It would appear the logical thing is to ask the cruise operator, not sailors who have no idea what that cruise operator's policies is.
Old 22-09-2016, 22:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah, just a note that this forum is about folks the cruise on their own private or chartered yachts from 20 to 100 feet ish and not about cruising on a large ocean going ship. So you may not get the response your looking for.

Mind you many of us cruise with pets on our private boats. I'm pretty sure the cruise ships don't have the facilities to deal with pets.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 14:02   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, LizKarin,

Do check with Blount. Perhaps they will allow it, but I suspect not, for the reason SailorChic34 stated.

Also, for future reference, not a great idea to promise something that is not yours to give. You lose credibility when it doesn't work out.

Finally, giving in to your daughter's crying fits teaches her that you will give in, so you do her no favors by it, merely instruct her in the practicalities of being a cry-baby. I am sorry to write so bluntly, because I do not want to hurt your feelings, but when raising a child to be the best they can in the world, you have to stay on top of things. You will help her by teaching her to express her feelings, then let them go. Nobody gets their way all the time. Sooner learned, the better for you and her. [You can always let her cry in her room, if she must, and allow her back when she is finished.....and if she starts up again, back to the room. You may have a difficult time, but see it for what it is, this about her will, she is not in any pain other than psychological, she is not hungry, she's just trying it on, and you've let her flummox you.] As a parent, you owe it to her to nurture and protect her--not give in to her whims.

Ann