Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2010, 18:18   #16

Boat: 48' Hi Star
I have slept under a down comforter (or feather bed, as they are known in Germany, where I'm from) for my entire life. I can't stand sleeping under blankets -- too heavy.

I recently bought a lightweight down "blanket" at Target for only $40 for the full/queen size. I cover it with a duvet that can be removed and washed whenever I wash/change the sheets. I keep several duvets so I always have a clean one ready.

the down comforter can be washed. The tag recommends using a front loading washer and then putting several clean tennis balls in the dryer when drying the comforter. Works like a charm. I also use down/feather combination pillows.

By the way, we are in Florida.
Old 16-06-2010, 18:59   #17

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
I vote wool -- we have a soft fleece material blanket and when it's time to take out the big guns we use a heavy wool blanket on top -- toasty even in sub 30 degrees F
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 10:53   #18

For pillows, I buy the cheap $5.00 pillows from Target. I'm sure they're synthetic. They work fine and I replace them as often as necessary.........annually, even. They get stained somehow (all pillow do, in my experience) and I just feel better having a new one. For only $5, it's OK.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 12:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We use a variety of blankets. The best one for the boat is actually a lightweight sleepingbag I made years ago of primaloft and silicon nylon. It is rectangular, and we just open it up and layer with. Fleece blankets. It was supoer easy to make, and if I was doing it again I would simply omit the zipper sew the bag, put in the primaloft and then space drop stitches to hold it in place. I would also select another. Material, as silicon nylon is too slippery. Cheap and easy, compresses well, and very warm for it's weight
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:27   #20

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Wool is naturally anti-microbial and stays warm when wet. I plan on bringing as much merino with me as I possibly can, as far as clothing goes. You can get wool in duvet form. We have a wool duvet and it's wonderful!
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:43   #21
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I fit the sheets to the v berth by cutting off the two corners at the bow end of the mattress and using one of those triangles with a pocket on the corner to make the third corner of the sheet. easy. one seam across to make a fitted sheet. I use the other corner to sew onto the flat sheet to make a pocket that fits over the bottom sheet to keep it from pulling out. I trim the bottom corners off the top sheet and re hem so there isn't so much fabric bunching up at the bow end.

We have comforters and fleece throws. The comforter goes into a cover that is easily washed since Cara the Wonder Dog often sleeps on the berth with us. On warm nights the fleece is enough. On cold nights we have both. Linens mildewing hasn't been a problem thus far. we keep the fan going 24/7 for circulation and even in bad weather leave ventilation open a bit.

Pillows are a mix of memory foam for me and poly fill for Himself. standard cases that match the sheets.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37   #22

Charlotte made custom sheets and pillowcases; turned out really nice:
Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Charlotte's Blog - Custom-fit Covers (top sheets/blankets) for the V-berth*Tutorial
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 11:32   #23

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
Wool is naturally anti-microbial and stays warm when wet. I plan on bringing as much merino with me as I possibly can, as far as clothing goes. You can get wool in duvet form. We have a wool duvet and it's wonderful!
Huh.

I love wool, but wear it only on the outside (like a wool jacket say) and never in the boat - the reason being it keeps moisture and smells (some may like the smell, I personally do not). What I dig about wool is that it is sort of like wood - makes me feel warm, cozy and friendly.

But for clothing my choice is the more technical fibres - polartec, goretex, -type, etc.. In other words - I prefer to be dry and warm than wet and warm.

The merino wool for underwear we used in NZ where it is very common (I believe they have at least one big company specializing in this stuff down there under). No wonder - NZ and Oz is all about sheep (and sailing, off course!). But it still smells and holds moisture - no matter how skillfully they will market their (very good) product.

My fave piece of gear from that part of the world was a top made by (?) the Fourth Element, if there is any merino content in it then I say go for merino why not.

Someone said cabin comfort ? ... ;-)

barnie, the unintentional drifter
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 12:31   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
really nicely done Charlotte!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 15:53   #25

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Barnie, I'm with you for clothing. And like my boat, I didn 't pay for it. I demolished an RK20 last year and in the locker I found a 25 year old bag marked Hudson Bay Outfitters. They were the precursor to Hudson Trail Outfitters. Inside were a 100% wool turtle neck jumper and a pair of Norwegian wool socks. I wouldn't wear them under foulies, I'd die of dehydration in about an hour, but paired with a polypropylene base layer I can sit on the hook and fish in the Chesapeake all day.

And yeah, it's real old fashioned rag wool, you can't wash the smell of the lanolin out...

PS: Tags were still on the sweater and socks.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 11:10   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
no wool ever will come into my boat as i prefer to breathe without incident. i found that the number f wool blankets forme to have warmth without pressure on me from balnkets was waay toomany--down is more efficient. i will not wear nor have wool in my presence--same with latex.. i use feathers and love then also the silly made from cola bottles blankets--lovely way to recycle plastic bottles.....great as throws.... i have many of those as the temp here in sin diego gets 38 in winter more times than i like to count....our year round perfect weather only happens from july thru december......
in sincere cold times i wear silk--dries way faster than wool and will not allow cold air to enter thru it as will wool....and in freezing weather i wear FUR--or feathers--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 14:40   #27
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway Kid View Post
What do you use for pillows? I would think the same situation exists for down filled pillows.
Hubby's tummy when I can!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 21:04   #28

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Down is lighter than wool, even cashmere. But wool retains 80% of its insulating value when wet. I do not think that down or any synthetic can match that.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 11:03   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
down pillows--they are washable in washer and dry in dryer with tennis balls or sneakers to fluff them..same as quilts, throws and feather beds....i used a feather bed for years on board...just keep them clean, just like everything else in life, and they are fine!!!!!.

aaza--would be nice, but on my boat is just me n kat..lol....so i use feathers. could well be this way for rest of life for me as i donot enjoy the disaster most call dating..lol..and i am too old to change that...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 23:05   #30

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Now THAT is a blog to bookmark :-) Thanks, E&C, Rebel Hearts! Even if I don't do that particular project, you have a lot of great info to share!

We use inexpensive fiberfill comforters in sizes that can be easily machine washed - no larger than Q - and a flannel duvet cover for winter, cooler cotton cover in summer. You can sleep on it or under it; I often use a rayon sarong in the tropics as blanket when at anchor (that wind down the forward hatch can get downright cool at 2 am), lying on the comforter (extra comfort!) if I never need to get under it. "Normal" pillows -- mine has memory foam b/c of my back/neck alignment. Makes for a comfy-looking bunk in daytime, too. Nobody sleeps out in the saloon, so no worries about a bunk having to look like a place to sit.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin