Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 17:04   #1

Bringing a cat into the Bahamas

Has anyone used Wellington at bahamaspetpermit.com to obtain their permit to bring a cat into the Bahamas? We're a month and a half away from sailing from Miami to Bimini and time is running short for the regular channels.
Kev and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 18:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Bringing a cat into the Bahamas

I would normally say Check on Noonsite. They have a info for pets for almost anywhere you might go. I was just there, however and found nothing useful.

Use Google and search, tourist bringing cat into bahamas

I had many hits
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 18:38   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I cruised the Bahamas with pets years ago. Just a quick scan looks like not much has changed. Link below to a private service that handles the permit process (not an endorsement and Im in no way affiliated). Their site has links to all the info you need.

https://www.bahamaspetpermit.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 19:50   #4

Thanks for the tips both of you. I hadn't looked at noonsite before - looks like some great articles. I'm going to go ahead and try Wellington's service at bahamaspetpermit.com as time is running short. I'll post on how it went when all is said and done. After going through all the info on bringing pets into the Bahamas, it seems the easiest approach - and reasonable!
Old 19-10-2019, 03:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kev and Di.

Wellington Saunders started his service in the fall of 2018. I have not used the service, so can’t comment on how well it works.

The charge is $35 plus the $16.20 fee for the Bahamas Dept. of Agriculture, which is actually cheaper than sending it yourself. See his Bahamas Pet Import Permit website — he has a lot of information and current forms there, too.

Basically, you fill out the forms online, he submits them in person, gets your permit and then emails it to you. You still have to do the vet visit in the US on your own.
He seems to have a good on-line reputation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 07:31   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and there is fb group gatos del mar with information on what to do when to do it and how folks got away with mischief, aka how to bring a cat into bahamas... https://web.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 08:00   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We used Bahamas Pet Permit for our cat and he works as advertised. Had our permit in hand in a week with no fuss at all. Worth the cost for piece of mind if you are in a hurry.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 09:55   #8
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

just call them up in Nassau; number on web. very pleasant lady answers "hi".
you can get the forms online.
be sure to get them sent back by fedx.
i think it took about 2 months to get the permit back by regular channels; (they mail it along anyway.) Be sure; fedx.
C & I had no interest in pet papers when checking in though.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 10:12   #9

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Wellington Saunders. I have been taking my cat to the Bahamas for the past 3 years. The two years I did it myself. MUCH easier to do it with Wellington. The fee is now $57, but it is more expensive and time consuming to do it yourself. You must get a money order for $16.20 for the fees (time and $$ at the post office), then you have to go to FedEx or UPS and send it off - which last year was about $60. With Wellington, you upload all the paperwork to him (fill out the application which you can find on line along with rabies certificate), which he then reviews to make sure everything is copacetic. Then he has you PayPal him the $$. I got my paperwork within one week of paying him. Very impressed - he answered all my emails very promptly. And despite what the other person said, the C&I at West End on Grand Bahamas was VERY interested in seeing my paperwork. Take a picture of the approval when you get it and save it on your phone too, just in case you have to have it handy. If you need proof of further "approval" of Wellington, Carolyn of The Boat Galley sings his praises in her new Bahamas info. Hope that helps.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 15:10   #10

Boat: Leopard 43

Don't use the Bahamas mail service. It will never get there. I have jumped through those hoops before, then the customs officer didn't even look at the permit. Next time I will just keep the cat on the boat and not tell anyone about it. Dogs are another story since they need to go ashore often.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 16:07   #11

Kev and Di reporting back in - Wellington responded to our emails promptly and we had the permit in one week. A very smooth and easy process - not to mention less expensive than doing it yourself with courier costs added! I highly recommend Wellington and will use his service every season.
Old 27-10-2019, 18:18   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
Don't use the Bahamas mail service. It will never get there. I have jumped through those hoops before, then the customs officer didn't even look at the permit. Next time I will just keep the cat on the boat and not tell anyone about it. Dogs are another story since they need to go ashore often.
In the end I dont think the officials care, Ive done the same and never had them ask or look in the Bahamas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas